1. Cosmos
    Moves
    09 Mar '07 01:50
    This is a sincere question for everybody out there who believes that God exists.
    It is a thought experiment for you, so give it a good shot and please admit it if you cannot think of anything at all, as this is all a part of the exercise.

The question for you to try to answer is this:

"What evidence would be sufficient to persuade you that God does not exist?"
  2. Standard memberEAPOE
    Earl of Rochester
    Restoration London
    Moves
    09 Mar '07 02:091 edit
    A scientific consensus would be nice. . . .But there is not one.

When people are prepared to say "God does not exist" is that not a belief? If a person is to say "All religious doctrines are constructions of human thought", there could be an argument.

The universe may or may not have been constructed as a result of intelligent thought. Is the question of "God" in terms of religion not one of culture and history?

Now the idea of intelligent design "as it has been defined" is simply the work of the stupid mind. If it is accepted the universe was brought into existence by a greater mind, it implies by definition that the existence of the greater mind must also have been intelligently constructed. A circular argument.
  3. Cosmos
    Moves
    09 Mar '07 03:16
    Originally posted by EAPOE
    A scientific consensus would be nice. . . .But there is not one.

When people are prepared to say "God does not exist" is that not a belief? If a person is to say "All religious doctrines are constructions of human thought", there could be an argument.

The universe may or may not have been constructed as a result of intelligent thought. Is the question ...[text shortened]... of the greater mind must also have been intelligently constructed. A circular argument.
    I am not interested in a scientific concensus, I am asking YOU personally - "What would be enough evidence for YOU to believe that God does not exist"
  4. Standard memberAcemaster
    Checkmate 2 U!
    Checkmating you!
    Moves
    09 Mar '07 07:32
    Originally posted by howardgee
    This is a sincere question for everybody out there who believes that God exists.
    It is a thought experiment for you, so give it a good shot and please admit it if you cannot think of anything at all, as this is all a part of the exercise.

In order to answer, I need a little more info. What exactly is this evidence of God not existing?
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    09 Mar '07 07:381 edit

Here are three things

One, no order in the universe
    Two, No good or evil
    Three, nothing awaits me when I die

What would make you think there is no God?
    Kelly
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Mar '07 11:40
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Here are three things

Two, No good or evil

Kelly
    One. Please define "Order" as it is a rather vague term.

Two. Good and evil do not exist.

Three. You'll just have to wait and see. Or not see as the case may be.
    Of course condition No 3 really boils down to "I cant be convinced in this lifetime!"
  7. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    09 Mar '07 11:54
    I already believe that God does and does not exist (simultaneously). Could you define God so I can better understand your question?
  8. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    09 Mar '07 12:41
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Here are three things

Two, No good or evil

Kelly
    Well, "order" can be explained through simply chemistry, without the need for God.

"Good" and "Evil" are mere subjective judgements; they've changed many times in the past,but the biggies remain the same, exactly the same as every other species on the planet, pretty much.

That's called evolutionary biology.

As for 3, well, Kelly, unless you are really, really committed, you can't argue whether or not an afterlife exists or not yet.
  9. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    09 Mar '07 12:43
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Well, "order" can be explained through simply chemistry, without the need for God.
    Does chemistry explain the how or the why? I mean, it can be observed that order arises through such and such a process, but why does it?
  10. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    09 Mar '07 12:54
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    I already believe that God does and does not exist (simultaneously). Could you define God so I can better understand your question?
    How about yourself? Is it possible for you to exist and not exist at the same time?
  11. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    09 Mar '07 13:00
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    How about yourself? Is it possible for you to exist and not exist at the same time?
    Define me and I'll answer as best I can.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Mar '07 13:06
    Does chemistry explain the how or the why? I mean, it can be observed that order arises through such and such a process, but why does it?
    How is the why. There is no other kind of why.
  13. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    09 Mar '07 13:13
    Are those questions valid? Or sensible?
  14. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    09 Mar '07 13:16
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Are those questions valid? Or sensible?
    Of course they are. Ask any child.
  15. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    09 Mar '07 13:171 edit
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    How [b]is the why. There is no other kind of why.[/b]
    Ha, I think you have indicated the point of no return.

That is a dogmatic answer, but true as far as (modern) science is concerned (I think).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree