1. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    28 Dec '05 03:30
    It is my perception that there is a lot of "thinking" in the spiritual forums that may not be anti-semetic, but seems to negate your traditions and faith in such a way as to say "we're better than you." It is also my perception that when this happens, usually atheists are the ones who defend you. Any thoughts on this?
  2. London
    Moves
    28 Dec '05 12:59
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    It is my perception that there is a lot of "thinking" in the spiritual forums that may not be anti-semetic, but seems to negate your traditions and faith in such a way as to say "we're better than you." It is also my perception that when this happens, usually atheists are the ones who defend you. Any thoughts on this?
    usually atheists are the ones who defend you...

Really? Invariably it is always the atheists who bring up the whole "Tell me punk, don't you think all Jews are going to Hell" line. And, if the question is answered on one thread, they invariably raise it in another. And another.

How about this for "we're better than you" thinking - We're better than you so we can use your name, your history and your hurts to take pot shots at our favourite bogeyman.
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    28 Dec '05 13:18
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    [b]usually atheists are the ones who defend you...

Really? Invariably it is always the atheists who bring up the whole "Tell me punk, don't you think all Jews are going to Hell" line. And, if the question is answered on one thread, they invariably raise it in another. And another.

How about this for "we're better than you" thinking - ...[text shortened]... n use your name, your history and your hurts to take pot shots at our favourite bogeyman.[/b]
    Sounds like someone is honing their martyr complex. You poor, poor christians are so oppressed by us secularists. It's such a crying shame that you can't have us burned at the stake anymore.

But now that you've brought it up, you do think that Jews are going to hell, don't you?
  4. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    28 Dec '05 13:21
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    How about this for "we're better than you" thinking - We're better than you so we can use your name, your history and your hurts to take pot shots at our favourite bogeyman.
    I've seen this tactic used to attack everything from the Catholic Church to Darwinism, so you must be right.
  5. London
    Moves
    28 Dec '05 13:28
    Originally posted by rwingett
    It's such a crying shame that you can't have us burned at the stake anymore.
    What was that you were saying about martyr complexes, again?
  6. London
    Moves
    28 Dec '05 13:30
    Originally posted by rwingett
    But now that you've brought it up, you do think that Jews are going to hell, don't you?
    Do you seriously want an answer or are you just saying your "line"?
  7. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    28 Dec '05 16:13
    Oh well, look likes this thread is going nowhere.
  8. London
    Moves
    28 Dec '05 16:174 edits
    What were you expecting? The Jewish Clan to descend en masse and sing in chorus for their atheist defenders?*

---
    * Might be the Christmas theme, but does that remind anyone of the concert from Sound of Music?

EDIT: The comment above is not intended to invoke Godwin's Law. I wrote the sentence about singing in chorus and, while looking over it, was suddenly reminded of the Sound of Music. That's all.
  9. London
    Moves
    28 Dec '05 16:302 edits
    Just reflecting on your question - the very basis of Jewish tradition and faith is that they are G-d's Chosen People, His Holy Nation.

What greater way exists to negate that tradition and faith, what greater way to say "we're better than you" - than to say that the G-d they believe in simply does not exist. That they are neither Chosen nor Holy. That everything their very Jewishness is based on is a complete fabrication.

Interesting conundrum, that, for you and the atheists.
  10. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    28 Dec '05 17:50
    A consequence of false perceptions.
  11. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    28 Dec '05 18:42
    Originally posted by Coletti
    A consequence of false perceptions.
    OK, let's start from that. What are the false perceptions?
  12. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    28 Dec '05 19:06
    I think you'll find that it's generally the communists who stand up for Jews (and any other minority being persecuted).

And then we get bad-mouted in the press as well.
    Pffffft.... go figure!
  13. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    29 Dec '05 00:03
    I think the whole Jewish / Christian thing comes up because (a) [some] christians suggest that if you don't believe in jesus then you're not going to heaven, therefore Jews would be guarenteed a place in hell, (b) there are many similarities between these religions, especially in that they actually worship the same god, with the exception that Jews believe jesus was a prophet, not the son of god, and probably (c) Jews claim their god to be 'the one true god', and them to be 'god's chosen people', but then so do Catholics, Prodisants, Orthodox church peeps, and any other religion you care to choose.

I think atheists tend to stick up for the Jewish contingent in so far as we are resisting some (normally christian) persons attack upon their right to believe, rather than their actual belief itself.
  14. London
    Moves
    29 Dec '05 11:10
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    I think the whole Jewish / Christian thing comes up because (a) [some] christians suggest that if you don't believe in jesus then you're not going to heaven, therefore Jews would be guarenteed a place in hell, (b) there are many similarities between these religions, especially in that they actually worship the same god, with the exception that Jews beli ...[text shortened]... tian) persons attack upon their right to believe, rather than their actual belief itself.
    (a) [some] christians suggest that if you don't believe in jesus then you're not going to heaven, therefore Jews would be guarenteed a place in hell

Why hide the "some" as though you're unsure? Even on this site (where Christian Fundamentalists appear to be rather over-represented), you will find only a handful of Christians who hold to that doctrine. In the larger world of Christianity, that group is an even smaller proportion.

(c) Jews claim their god to be 'the one true god', and them to be 'god's chosen people', but then so do Catholics, Prodisants[sic], Orthodox church peeps, and any other religion you care to choose.

Don't know about the Protestants (too diverse a group for their views to be compressed in one statement), but the Catholics and the Orthodox also believe that the Jews are God's Chosen People and the God they worship is the One True God.

I think atheists tend to stick up for the Jewish contingent in so far as we are resisting some (normally christian) persons attack upon their right to believe

Here's an exercise for you - go over actual threads where the issue has been discussed (for instance, see Thread 34534) and see for yourself whether it is Christians attacking the right of Jews to believe.
  15. London
    Moves
    29 Dec '05 13:35
    Thread 35599

Originally posted by shavixmir
    Moses was a psychotic schitzophrenic who heard voices and the Jews were idiots for believing anything the schitzo ever said.

What was that you guys were saying about atheists defending Jews again?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree