a reprobate mind

a reprobate mind

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
21 Jun 17

Originally posted by FMF
Once again, you appear not to have any idea what a lack of belief in supernatural beings and phenomena actually is. I don't think there is anything "slow" about me pointing it out.
Well you aren't an atheist either (or so you claim) so if you think you know better then good for you.

F

Moves
21 Jun 17

Originally posted by dj2becker
Well if you don't need faith to be saved and good works can cut it, then surely the odd atheist who deep down is wondering what if i'm wrong and God exists, will think as long as I do the odd good works I'll be grand.
"The odd atheist" and "the odd good works"?

Moves
21 Jun 17

Originally posted by FMF
"The odd atheist" and "the odd good works"?
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/odd

F

Moves
21 Jun 17

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/odd
Isn't the entire Christian religion about "hope" which, you seem to think, results in good works? What is the harm if an "atheist" has some kind of "hope" and it results in good works? I don't see that there's any substance in your beef with Rakj999 over him supposedly giving "false hope". It is surely - in the minds of atheists - every bit as much "false hope" as the one you peddle.

Moves
21 Jun 17

Originally posted by FMF
Isn't the entire Christian religion about "hope" which, you seem to think, results in good works? What is the harm if an "atheist" has some kind of "hope" and it results in good works? I don't see that there's any substance in your beef with Rakj999 over him supposedly giving "false hope". It is surely - in the minds of atheists - every bit as much "false hope" as the one you peddle.
If Rajk999 has convinced atheists that they don't need faith (something the Bible clearly says they do) then from my perspective he is giving them 'false hope'. I'm surprised you can't seem to grasp this concept even after claiming to have been a 'Christian' for so many years.

F

Moves
21 Jun 17

If Rajk999 has convinced atheists that they don't need faith (something the Bible clearly says they do) then from my perspective he is giving them 'false hope'.
You mean atheists having "hope" of being "saved" in a "supernatural" way? Surely atheists are already convinced that they don't need the faith that Christians talk about? To an atheist, Christians for the most part deal in "false hope" and little else, especially those that wallow in their faith and have absolutely nothing to offer on how their spirituality can propel and govern their good works.

Moves
21 Jun 17

Originally posted by FMF
You mean atheists having "hope" of being "saved" in a "supernatural" way? Surely atheists are already convinced that they don't need the faith that Christians talk about? To an atheist, Christians for the most part deal in "false hope" and little else, especially those that wallow in their faith and have absolutely nothing to offer on how their spirituality can propel and govern their good works.
I was sharing my perspective. From my perspective Rajk is giving atheists a false sense of security by saying faith in not important or necessary for salvation. If you disagree with my perspective that's fine by me.

F

Moves
21 Jun 17
1 edit

I was sharing my perspective. From my perspective Rajk is giving atheists a false sense of security by saying faith in not important or necessary for salvation. If you disagree with my perspective that's fine by me.
Your perspective ~ that atheists might be concerned with the "hope" or (now) "security" of knowing they will benefit from a theist notion of "salvation" thanks to a divine being and that they might have "back up plans" in order to earn "eternal life" ~ is a peculiar one to say the least. The idea that you are seeking to protect atheists from what Rajk999 says is almost comical.

Moves
21 Jun 17

Originally posted by FMF
Your perspective ~ that atheists might be concerned with the "hope" or (now) "security" of knowing they will benefit from a theist notion of "salvation" thanks to a divine being and that they might have "back up plans" in order to earn "eternal life" ~ is a peculiar one to say the least.
From your perspective all my beliefs about the supernatural are peculiar so there's nothing new there. And from my perspective it is quite peculiar that you have such little grasp for Christian concepts for someone who professes to have been one for quite a few decades.

F

Moves
21 Jun 17
1 edit

And from my perspective it is quite peculiar that you have such little grasp for Christian concepts for someone who professes to have been one for quite a few decades.
You repeat this little soundbite quite often. Do you think it constitutes a 'debating point' of some substance? I post here as a non-Christian. Your attempts to dismiss or dissipate scrutiny of your current beliefs with little waves of the hand aimed at what I happened to believe decades ago, about which you don't have much information, has more than the whiff of dodging about it.

F

Moves
21 Jun 17

From my perspective Rajk is giving atheists a false sense of security by saying faith in not important or necessary for salvation.
What is the harm in such "false hope" during "the odd atheist's" lifetime if them having that hope has no bearing on the fact [according to your beliefs] that they ~ as non-believers ~ are heading for "damnation" anyway?

Moves
21 Jun 17

Your perspective is illogical. What use do I have for a 'sense of security,' when it comes to something I don't believe in?

I think you are muddling atheists for agnostics. You might as well give me a safety net to protect me from falling elephants.

F

Moves
21 Jun 17

Christian people seems to be scared to death of hell.
I'm not. I'm not christian. I'm happy.

F

Moves
21 Jun 17

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
You might as well give me a safety net to protect me from falling elephants.
Your disregard for the sense of security such a net would afford the falling elephants is duly noted.

Moves
21 Jun 17
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
What is the harm in such "false hope" during "the odd atheist's" lifetime if them having that hope has no bearing on the fact [according to your beliefs] that they ~ as non-believers ~ are heading for "damnation" anyway?
Obviously having a false sense of security might prevent them from actually leaving their comfort zone and making the leap of faith since they will think it's not necessary anyways.