1. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    11 Sep '14 18:27
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]"a result not the means"

Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household [if they also believe]". Acts 16:31 Good works: a result not the means of salvation. Why risk flawed logic or rationalization on your eternal address? We're either for or against the person and substitutionary work of Christ [His reconciliation of us to God the Father]. Back in October, 2014.[/b]
    It's not about gambling is it GB. I'd love to be able to believe in the Christian God, it would be great to have that unthinking certainty of my own persistence after death and to know that I understood life, the universe and everything. Unfortunately my mind will not allow me to disregard the obvious flaws in that position. I could not follow your faith even if it IS true, which, of course, it isn't.
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    11 Sep '14 19:01
    Originally posted by FMF
    If one does not believe the claims that people like you and Grampy Bobby make, then why would one believe the claim that not believing is a "risk"?
    Since you put it that way, there is no risk as long as what GB and I believe is false.

But if you are wrong, then it is still not a risk. It is a sure thing that you will miss out on eternal life.
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    11 Sep '14 19:06
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    It's not about gambling is it GB. I'd love to be able to believe in the Christian God, it would be great to have that unthinking certainty of my own persistence after death and to know that I understood life, the universe and everything. Unfortunately my mind will not allow me to disregard the obvious flaws in that position. I could not follow your faith even if it IS true, which, of course, it isn't.
    "I could not follow your faith even if it IS true, which, of course, it isn't."

If you knew it was true what the Bible says about Jesus, especially His resurrection, you would still not believe?

I don't believe you.
  4. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    11 Sep '14 20:54
    Originally posted by josephw
    [b]"I could not follow your faith even if it IS true, which, of course, it isn't."

If you knew it was true what the Bible says about Jesus, especially His resurrection, you would still not believe?

I don't believe you.[/b]
    It's not something you can know.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    11 Sep '14 22:361 edit
    "a result not the means"

Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household [if they also believe]". Acts 16:31 Good works: a result not the means of salvation. Why risk flawed logic or rationalization on your eternal address? We're either for or against the person and substitutionary work of Christ [His reconciliation of us to God the Father]. Back in October, 2014.
    Yes, dive, I've been away and the "few months rest sabbatical" did serendipitously dovetail with the beginning of the 2014 NFL Season as well as an unanticipated medically related setback. This footnote to an unplanned synopsis thread motivated by Suzi's thoughtful reply on page one of "Ignoring Christ & Accepting Sin." beginning with "You're not doing yourself any favors..." Thread 160881 is about free will. That's the unsung beauty of human volition: you and those you love may keep
    on seeking and searching privately for compelling answers and absolute truth without regard to the online peer pressure, disapproval and cunning ridicule of those who don't give a damn about the eventual home of their immaterial souls. -Bob
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    11 Sep '14 23:42
    Back in October, 2014.
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    11 Sep '14 23:55
    Since you put it that way, there is no risk as long as what GB and I believe is false.

But if you are wrong, then it is still not a risk. It is a sure thing that you will miss out on eternal life.
    If you believe in the FSM you will get eternal life and an everlasting bowl of spaghetti.

If you don't believe your soul will simmer forever in the Lake of Hot Minestrone.

You have nothing to lose by believing.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Sep '14 00:08
    That's the unsung beauty of human volition: you and those you love may keep on seeking and searching privately for compelling answers and absolute truth without regard to the online peer pressure, disapproval and cunning ridicule of those who don't give a damn about the eventual home of their immaterial souls. -Bob
    What "online peer pressure" do you feel, Grampy Bobby?
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    12 Sep '14 00:13
    Not unless God revealed it to you.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Sep '14 00:13
    Originally posted by sonship
    LOL.

Grampy and me disagree on quite a bit behind the scenes. Trust me.
    You are missing the point, sonship. The point is wielding the idea of avoiding "risk" ~ as does this OP ~ as a supposed rationalization for believing something unbelievable.

The "torture" thing doesn't give me "the ability to believe in Jesus Christ", as you put it. The "agony" thing doesn't work either. Nor does the "eternity" angle. Nor "revenge". Nor "punishment". Nor "justice". Nor "wrath". Nor "eternal damnation". Nor "burning flames".

Seriously, when all this peculiarly incredible and clumsy psychological 'pressure' does not give someone what you call "the ability to believe in Jesus Christ", why would a pompous sentence like "Why risk flawed logic or rationalization on your eternal address?" fare any better?
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    12 Sep '14 00:22
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    If you believe in the FSM you will get eternal life and an everlasting bowl of spaghetti.

If you don't believe your soul will simmer forever in the Lake of Hot Minestrone.

You have [b]nothing
    to lose by believing.[/b]
    Choose not to believe you can have eternal life. Choose to believe nothing. That's what you'll get.

Or you can choose to believe the impossible. What a concept don't you think? Of all the choices there are in this life, why choose a dead end?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Sep '14 00:36
    Choose not to believe you can have eternal life. Choose to believe nothing. That's what you'll get.

Or you can choose to believe the impossible. What a concept don't you think? Of all the choices there are in this life, why choose a dead end?
    One cannot "choose" to believe something too far-fetched to believe. One could pretend, I suppose, but you reckon that's not what the OP is suggesting. The inevitability ~ for all of us ~ of the "dead end" you mention is unaffected by your assertions of your own immortality.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 Sep '14 01:08
    Originally posted by FMF
    What do you suggest a non-Christian do if he or she simply does not believe the same things as you and Grampy Bobby just so happen to believe?
    Perhaps you could just shake your head and be on your way without disrespecting people or their beliefs? Yeah, I know, that's a stretch, huh.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 Sep '14 01:11
    Originally posted by sonship
    Good. I'm glad we can agree.

I think this is the [b]"one thing"
    Paul told the Philippians all to think.[/b]
    And therefore, I would think you would get near-universal agreement from Christians on this. Seems like a no-brainer.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 Sep '14 01:121 edit
    We know through faith. You mean it's not something *you* can know.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree