1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    20 Sep '14 00:011 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Do you think Jesus was comparing Peter to a rock
    or
    making an analogy implying that Peter was as solid as a rock?

Analogies may make a direct comparison but often do not - in the
    instance we are talking about I do not compare the FSM with any god.
    (For instance I do not compare any of their attributes)

I am using an analogy to describe how atheists feel about gods.
    That is crystal clear - or should be - to anyone.
    You are simply trying to make up excuses in an attempt to cover your ignorance. I provided you with the dictionary definition of analogy and it is a comparison regardless of what you want to believe. You also claimed comparison is not a synonym for analogy and I showed you that the authorities do not agree with you.

See Roget's 21st Century Thesaurus, Third Edition Copyright © 2013 by the Philip Lief Group.

http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/analogy

Even in British English:
    http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english-thesaurus/analogy?showCookiePolicy=true
  2. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    20 Sep '14 00:17
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    You are simply trying to make up excuses in an attempt to cover your ignorance. I provided you with the dictionary definition of analogy and it is a comparison regardless of what you want to believe. You also claimed comparison is not a synonym for analogy and I showed you that the authorities do not agree with you.

See Roget's 21st Century Thesaurus, T ...[text shortened]... sh:
    http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english-thesaurus/analogy?showCookiePolicy=true
    Stop confusing wolfie with facts.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Sep '14 00:25

A dictionary definition gives a list of possible meanings. The link you quote
    also suggests "parallel".

Do you think "analogy" and "parallel" have the same meaning?

And you have not addressed my example of Peter & Jesus.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    20 Sep '14 02:13
    A dictionary definition gives a list of possible meanings. The link you quote
    also suggests "parallel".

Do you think "analogy" and "parallel" have the same meaning?

And you have not addressed my example of Peter & Jesus.
    I am not going to bother with you because you seem to be lacking common sense.
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    20 Sep '14 05:47
    I'm sure that it seems that way to you.
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    20 Sep '14 15:00

Roget's thesaurus tends to give as many synonyms as possible. The synonyms given are not all exact. The word comparison connotes something scientific to me, whereas an analogy would be something more poetic or rhetorical.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    20 Sep '14 16:091 edit
    "It slices! It dices! It makes julienne fries, whatever those are!" - Robin Williams, as Mork

Right-o, Ron. One doesn't use a Cuisinart to make toast.

(And before wolfgang gets his knickers in a twist, yes, I know Cuisinart makes toasters. Sheesh, way to miss the point. Nice to see others taking lessons on forum warfare from FMF. I knew it would happen eventually. And by 'nice' I mean 'bad'.)
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    21 Sep '14 20:37
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    "It slices! It dices! It makes julienne fries, whatever those are!" - Robin Williams, as Mork

Right-o, Ron. One doesn't use a Cuisinart to make toast.

(And before wolfgang gets his knickers in a twist, yes, I know Cuisinart makes toasters. Sheesh, way to miss the point. Nice to see others taking lessons on forum warfare from FMF. I knew it would happen eventually. And by 'nice' I mean 'bad'.)
    You seem to be talking with yourself Suzi.
    Time to up the meds.
  9. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    05 Oct '14 15:22
    ...no scientist has been able to solve how the image on the Shroud of Turin was formed naturally.
    That's because it probably wasn't formed naturally: http://m.livescience.com/9740-shroud-turin-evidence-closer.html

The result is a fabricated shroud that very closely resembles the Shroud of Turin, made with materials and tools available at the time of the shroud's origin. Garlaschelli's reproduction won't, of course, satisfy the true believers. Nor (despite headlines to the contrary) does it conclusively prove that the Shroud of Turin is a fake. It does, however, disprove a claim almost as important: that the image on the shroud is scientifically unexplainable, and could not have been made by human hands.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    05 Oct '14 21:212 edits
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby (OP)
    "a result not the means"

Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household [if they also believe]". Acts 16:31 Good works: a result not the means of salvation. Why risk flawed logic or rationalization on your eternal address? We're either for or against the person and substitutionary work of Christ [His reconciliation of us to God the Father]. Back in October, 2014."

Nice to be here again despite medical challenges. My thanks to each of you who have kept this seminal thread topic alive.
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    25 Oct '14 07:55
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby (OP)

Nice to be here again despite medical challenges.
    Nice for you - not us.
  12. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    02 Nov '14 17:52
    Nice for you - not us.
    Appreciate your candor, wolfgang. I miss SwissGambit who hasn't been around since April, 2014. Hope he's well.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree