1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Sep '14 00:14
    Originally posted by josephw
    Why do you assert that the idea of eternal life is too far-fetched? Is the concept too far outside of your mental range? Or is it just too much to hope for?
    If the idea of eternal life is within your "mental range", as you put it, and if you just so happen to think it isn't too far-fetched then, of course, you a free to hope for it. If it helps you come to terms with the inevitability of physical death then that's your prerogative. I don't have difficulty coming to terms with it and I certainly do not need to tell myself that I'm going to live forever in order to navigate my way through life.
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    13 Sep '14 01:37
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Boy! Time flies!!!
    Boy! Time flies!!!

James 4:14 "Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour [a fleeting vapor trail], that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away." 60-80 years more or less and then the judgment.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Sep '14 01:52
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Boy! Time flies!!!

James 4:14 "Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour [a fleeting vapor trail], that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away." 60-80 years more or less and then the judgment.[/b]
    Perhaps it is your low self-worth regarding the life you have lived ~ a fleeting vapour trail, you call it ~ that makes you cling to religionist folklore and take comfort from telling yourself you are going to exist forever.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Sep '14 05:06
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby[/i] (OP)
    [b]I'm here despite "an unanticipated medically related setback".
    I'm not contesting that you are here, I'm contesting that you were in fact never away.
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    13 Sep '14 10:32
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I'm not contesting that you are here, I'm contesting that you were in fact never away.
    Thread 160245 (Page 21) 27 Jul '14 22:46... Thread 160892 (Page 1) 10 Sep '14 19:35 = 45 Days (17 to go = 62).
  6. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    13 Sep '14 14:26
    YouTube
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Sep '14 16:49
    Thread 160245 (Page 21) 27 Jul '14 22:46... Thread 160892 (Page 1) 10 Sep '14 19:35 = 45 Days (17 to go = 62).
    Whatever these links are (I shan't bother looking), the fact is you are very present in this site. You have have been posting in certain forums and occasionally in the GF and now frequently here. You have been moving in your games and sending so many PMs that several people (including myself) have found it necessary to put you on "ignore". This whole "I'm on break" fiasco is simply an attention seeking ploy.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    13 Sep '14 19:25
    Whatever these links are (I shan't bother looking), the fact is you are very present in this site. You have have been posting in certain forums and occasionally in the GF and now frequently here. You have been moving in your games and sending so many PMs that several people (including myself) have found it necessary to put you on "ignore". This whole "I'm on break" fiasco is simply an attention seeking ploy.
    "As previously stated in late July, "a few months rest sabbatical" applies by choice to the General and Spirituality Forums only." (In reply to huckleberryhound in the General Forum) Is it true that men often display a deflection reflex which justly or unjustly criticizes others for the selfsame shortcomings they're already painfully aware of in the mirror of their own souls?
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Sep '14 21:28
    "As previously stated in late July, "a few months rest sabbatical" applies by choice to the [b]General and Spirituality Forums only." (In reply to huckleberryhound in the General Forum) Is it true that men often display a deflection reflex which justly or unjustly criticizes others for the selfsame shortcomings they're already painfully aware of in the mirror of their own souls?[/b]
    If you think I'm being "unjust" and have "shortcomings" just come out of the closet and say it.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 Sep '14 21:31
    Originally posted by FMF
    If the idea of eternal life is within your "mental range", as you put it, and if you just so happen to think it isn't too far-fetched then, of course, you a free to hope for it. If it helps you come to terms with the inevitability of physical death then that's your prerogative. I don't have difficulty coming to terms with it and I certainly do not need to tell myself that I'm going to live forever in order to navigate my way through life.
    And neither do I. And I doubt he does, either.

So, what's your point, again?
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 Sep '14 21:37
    Originally posted by FMF
    Perhaps it is your low self-worth regarding the life you have lived ~ a fleeting vapour trail, you call it ~ that makes you cling to religionist folklore and take comfort from telling yourself you are going to exist forever.
    All in all, every human life lived now is as "the blink of an eye".

That is why it's important to have some focus.on why we are here. Today becomes tomorrow, and then, in the fullness of time, it becomes the day after tomorrow. "Time marches on." "Time waits for no man." I'm sure you get what I'm saying.

"low self-worth" only enters into it if you're so shallow that you require others to have more and more faults just so you can get through your day.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 Sep '14 21:46
    CalJust has given you a sensible and thoughtful reply.

I would like to add that the FSM is an analogy for your god (or any god).
    The way you feel about the FSM is the way I feel about your god.
    The FSM is ridiculous to you. Both are ridiculous to me.

I'm [b]not
    saying that your belief is ridiculous just trying to
    get over how I (and presumably most atheists) feel about a deity.[/b]
    Right.

You guys bang on this drum far, far more than the theists do.

Who is shoving their opinions down whose throats, again? The only way for you guys to be any more obnoxious about it is if you go door-to-door.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Sep '14 00:32
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    So, what's your point, again?
    My point to josephw is to ask him how is a person supposed to believe the things josephw believes if they've looked at his beliefs and find them far-fetched and unbelievable.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Sep '14 00:35
    "low self-worth" only enters into it if [b]you're so shallow that you require others to have more and more faults just so you can get through your day.[/b]
    I am getting through my days just fine as it happens. My mention of "low self-worth" was a response to Grampy Bobby referring to his own life as being "a fleeting vapour trail" and/or how he thinks he can make it not "a fleeting vapour trail" by telling himself, and everybody else, that he is immortal.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Sep '14 00:39
    That is why it's important to have some focus.on why we are here.
    I cannot recall you ever posting anything on this forum that gave me any reason to believe you know the answer to the question 'Why are we here?' I'm pretty sure you'd say the same thing about me, but then again I have never claimed to be trying to answer that question on anyone's behalf.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree