"a result not the means"

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
19 Sep 14

Originally posted by wolfgang59
But you said my post was obnoxious before I repeated it. (Which was for your benefit.)

So, I ask politely once more, what was obnoxious in my post?
Here it is - in case you have forgotten:
CalJust has given you a sensible and thoughtful reply.

I would like to add that the FSM is an analogy for your god (or any god).
The way you feel ...[text shortened]... ust trying to
get over how I (and presumably most atheists) feel about a deity.

Thanks.
Comparing the true Living God of the Holy Bible with the fictitious flying spaghetti monster is what is obnoxious to her, you ignoramous. Suzianne is just to nice to tell you how stupid you are. I am not that nice a person. I am not going to try to convince you of anything however, becasue I believe you are too stupid to understand.

Moves
19 Sep 14

Originally posted by RJHinds
...becasue I believe you are too stupid to understand.
I believe you meant: "too smart to fall for it".

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
19 Sep 14

Originally posted by C Hess
I believe you meant: "too smart to fall for it".
Not really. Some of you fall into the same category as the Egyptian Pharaoh that Moses confronted. All of you are so arrogant and filled with pride in your own intellectual abilities that you are not open to spiritual instruction in the Holy Bible. It just makes your hearts become harder. This is why I refer to all of you as too stupid to understand and learn. I have dealt with you all enough by now to know that to be true. That is my opinion and what I believe.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
19 Sep 14

Comparing the true Living God of the Holy Bible with the fictitious flying spaghetti monster is what is obnoxious to her, you ignoramous. Suzianne is just to nice to tell you how stupid you are. I am not that nice a person. I am not going to try to convince you of anything however, becasue I believe you are too stupid to understand.
Where did I make a comparison between the FSM and your god?
Your belief is as usual incorrect.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
19 Sep 14

Where did I make a comparison between the FSM and your god?
Your belief is as usual incorrect.
Below is your post from page 5:

Could you point out exactly what it is you find obnoxious about my post and why?

Here it is in its entirety :

The way you feel about the FSM is the way I feel about your god.
The FSM is ridiculous to you. Both are ridiculous to me.

I'm not saying that your belief is ridiculous just trying to

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
19 Sep 14

Below is your post from page 5:

[b]Could you point out exactly what it is you find obnoxious about my post and why?

Here it is in its entirety :

The way you feel about the F ...[text shortened]... ous just trying to
[/b]
I think your comprehension level is under that required to
make a distinction between "comparison" and "analogy".

Suggest http://www.english-online.org.uk/course.htm

Moves
19 Sep 14

Not really. Some of you fall into the same category as the Egyptian Pharaoh that Moses confronted. All of you are so arrogant and filled with pride in your own intellectual abilities that you are not open to spiritual instruction in the Holy Bible. It just makes your hearts become harder. This is why I refer to all of you as too stupid to understand and l ...[text shortened]... ealt with you all enough by now to know that to be true. That is my opinion and what I believe.
I'm usually not considered arrogant nor proud. I'm the first to admit when I'm wrong, and I've been wrong many times in my days. The reason I'm not "open to spiritual instruction in the holy bible" is that it appears to me a scam to control people through their inner most fears and hopes. I'm suspicious about anyone who says with a straight face that (s)he's absolutely certain that every word of the bible is literal truth spoken by an invisible being I can't even begin to detect, without so much as a hint of doubt - not the least bit concerned about the origins of these stories. Fishy, fishy.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
19 Sep 14
1 edit

I'm usually not considered arrogant nor proud. I'm the first to admit when I'm wrong, and I've been wrong many times in my days. The reason I'm not "open to spiritual instruction in the holy bible" is that it appears to me a scam to control people through their inner most fears and hopes. I'm suspicious about anyone who says with a straight face that (s)he's ...[text shortened]... a hint of doubt - not the least bit concerned about the origins of these stories. Fishy, fishy.
The reason I'm not "open to spiritual instruction in the holy bible" is that it appears to me a scam to control people through their inner most fears and hopes.

You're sounding like sonhouse, which is not that surprising. Ask him some time about his childhood and his experience of a family member telling him about God. This is what has hardened your hearts. Some evil people have indeed made religion out to be a scam for personal gain. This is why we must have discernment, to understand the difference between people who are just out scamming others and those who truly have faith and desire only to bring more people to God, in other words, to be able to discern between those who have others' futures in mind, and those who have only their own wallet in mind. You talk the talk about people's "inner most fears and hopes", yet your own already control you. You're so afraid of being misled by someone that you cannot let go of your own ego long enough to really see if what they say is true or not. You also speak of "an invisible being I can't even begin to detect". The problem here is that such a being is not detected with the brain, it is detected through the heart -- the same heart that Ron correctly says has become hardened. You've dampened your own natural ability to detect God because of your own fears of being "scammed". I cannot tell you how sad this is. Don't let others decide your fate. Open your heart and perhaps find what we're all meant to find. A link back to the Father through His Son. We are told in the Bible that Jesus Christ came so "that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly". This is what Christianity is about, the more abundant life. And once you have it, you will know, not just guess, but know the Bible is true.

And that's no scam.

Moves
19 Sep 14

Originally posted by Suzianne
[b]The reason I'm not "open to spiritual instruction in the holy bible" is that it appears to me a scam to control people through their inner most fears and hopes.

You're sounding like sonhouse, which is not that surprising. Ask him some time about his childhood and his experience of a family member telling him about God. This is what has hardened ...[text shortened]... ave it, you will know, not just guess, but know the Bible is true.

And that's no scam.[/b]
You certainly seem sincere (thank you), so I have to ask: are all people of other faiths (who say the exact same thing) fooled, and how can you tell? They follow their hearts too, according to them.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
19 Sep 14

Gee, imagine that: you've been called out (once again) for your trolling ways.

analogy:
a similarity between like features of two things, on which a comparison may be based.

Doubt it does much to flag your penchant for continued poor behavior, but here's hoping anyway.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
19 Sep 14

Originally posted by Suzianne
No, you're wrong.

But in your own little world of needing antiseptic evidence in order to believe anything, again, you simply mean that you can't know it.

"The Most High has spoken, even with His own blood. Surely, we know."
No, I know what I mean, and I'm pretty sure you do too.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
19 Sep 14

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
Gee, imagine that: you've been called out (once again) for your trolling ways.

analogy:
a [b]similarity
between like features of two things, on which a comparison may be based.

Doubt it does much to flag your penchant for continued poor behavior, but here's hoping anyway.[/b]
Oh dear your comprehension needs sharpening too.
On which a comparison may be based.

You may base a cocktail on vodka - doesn't make vodka a cocktail.

Analogy is not a synonym for comparison! Get over it and find something else to whinge about!!

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
19 Sep 14
2 edits

a·nal·o·gy

noun: analogy; plural noun: analogies

a comparison between two things, typically on the basis of their structure and for the purpose of explanation or clarification.

"an analogy between the workings of nature and those of human societies"

a correspondence or partial similarity.

"the syndrome is called deep dysgraphia because of its analogy to deep dyslexia"

a thing that is comparable to something else in significant respects.

"works of art were seen as an analogy for works of nature"

Logic

a process of arguing from similarity in known respects to similarity in other respects.

synonyms:

affinity, agreement, alikeness, comparison, correlation, correspondence, equivalence, homology, kinship, likeness, metaphor, parallel, relation, relationship, resemblance, similarity, simile, similitude,

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
19 Sep 14

Do you think Jesus was comparing Peter to a rock
or
making an analogy implying that Peter was as solid as a rock?

Analogies may make a direct comparison but often do not - in the
instance we are talking about I do not compare the FSM with any god.
(For instance I do not compare any of their attributes)

I am using an analogy to describe how atheists feel about gods.
That is crystal clear - or should be - to anyone.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
19 Sep 14

I'm usually not considered arrogant nor proud. I'm the first to admit when I'm wrong, and I've been wrong many times in my days. The reason I'm not "open to spiritual instruction in the holy bible" is that it appears to me a scam to control people through their inner most fears and hopes. I'm suspicious about anyone who says with a straight face that (s)he's ...[text shortened]... a hint of doubt - not the least bit concerned about the origins of these stories. Fishy, fishy.
I never said I have no doubt. Some things are very difficult to believe without doubt. However, when I consider all the evidence that I am aware of in this life, the Holy Bible provides the best coherent worldview for me.

Evolution by natural selection with no explanation for the beginning of life or its complexity doesn't do it for me. Another example is that no scientist has been able to solve how the image on the Shroud of Turin was formed naturally.