Absolute truth

Absolute truth

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cape Town

Moves
28 Jun 16

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
I explained to you clearly why I rejected your question, now explain to me why you reject mine.
But you didn't even answer it. I want a yes or no answer!

Finnegan clearly explained to you why he gave a longer answer than one word and you were not satisfied. Therefore I am not satisfied with your explanation. I want a one word answer, Yes, or No.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
28 Jun 16

Originally posted by twhitehead
But you didn't even answer it. I want a yes or no answer!

Finnegan clearly explained to you why he gave a longer answer than one word and you were not satisfied. Therefore I am not satisfied with your explanation. I want a one word answer, Yes, or No.
No. There you go, now let the adults continue with their conversation.

GENS UNA SUMUS

Moves
28 Jun 16

Originally posted by sonship

sonship:

To whom am I ultimately responsible ? Anyone? Someone with limited authority or unlimited authority ?

Just myself ?
Just society ?
Just man ?

Which man then ? Hegel or Hugh He or Oprah [edited] ? googlefudge or Socrates ?

To whom, if anyone, will I ultimately be accountable ?

[quote]

finnigan: ...[text shortened]... t's your problem with the concept of accountability for the things done with and in our bodies ?[/b]
I find it weird that you refer to us as bodies. Bodies do this that and the other. It is not a conventional way to refer to ourselves and it is not one that I propose to go along with. It is, as I said, weird.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
28 Jun 16
7 edits

Originally posted by finnegan
I find it weird that you refer to us as bodies.
------------------------------------------------------------------

I did not say we were only bodies and nothing more. Far from that.
I said as far as accountability I was accountable for the deeds done in and by and with my body.

Bodies do this that and the other.

--------------------------------------------------

People in bodies do this and that with their bodies.

It is not a conventional way to refer to ourselves and it is not one that I propose to go along with. It is, as I said, weird.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

That is your prerogative to consider this strange. But if you think on it just a little bit it is perfectly reasonable. Thoughts may not harm. But thoughts which ISSUE is actions of the person (which pertain to the members of the body) do harm or benefit others.

If I had said accountable for thoughts, probably loud protests would have arisen from the Atheist corner about "thought crimes". It is the actions that we carry out or perhaps the inaction that we carry out with our bodies which have the greater impact.

Of course physical actions have their inception in the thought life. They usually do not jail people only for thoughts but for the physical actions that arise from them.

GENS UNA SUMUS

Moves
28 Jun 16

[b] I find it weird that you refer to us as bodies.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course physical actions have their inception in the thought life. They usually do not jail people only for thoughts but for the physical actions that arise from them.[/b]
That is your prerogative to consider this strange.
Thanks

But if you think on it just a little bit it is perfectly reasonable.
I did. It's not.

They usually do not jail people only for thoughts but for the physical actions that arise from them.
In most countries you may be right. In the USA you jail people mainly because they are black. In general though it is not bodies that go to jail, but people, and it would help Americans to see that more clearly.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
28 Jun 16
4 edits

Thanks

I did. It's not.

They usually do not jail people only for thoughts but for the [b] physical actions that arise from them.
In most countries you may be right. In the USA you jail ...[text shortened]... is not bodies that go to jail, but people, and it would help Americans to see that more clearly.[/b]
Red herrings.

In any country what you think will not land you in trouble.
Once you act on some evil thought, you can land in incarceration.

What does hacking require? Action with the fingers.
What does stealing require? Actions with the hands usually.
What does character assasination require? Just thinking things? No. writing or speaking which requires the members of our body.

What does drunk driving require? The body again.
What about child abuse? Maybe the hand or the tongue. The tongue of course is of the body.

What about peeping tom crime? Your eyes a member of the physical body.
Stalking? The body.
Rioting? The body.
Hate crimes? The body (tongue, hands perhaps)
What about embezzlement? Again probably hands. Perhaps fingers on a keyboard.

And of course GOOD DEEDS require the same action of the body too.
Let's not be completely negative.

Talk can harm or do good - requires the mouth and tongue - the body.
Adultery may start with the eyes. Eventually it will blossom out into the ________, again part of the body.

What's your problem ?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
28 Jun 16
5 edits

In most countries you may be right. In the USA you jail people mainly because they are black. In general though it is not bodies that go to jail, but people, and it would help Americans to see that more clearly.

As for jailing people simply because of skin color.? That is injustice - which also requires the use of the BODY.- of the one practicing the injustice.

Accountable for WHAT ? Again, accountable for the actions carried out in and by the body.
That would include injustice and racial prejudice.

Your USA example only underscores the same thing. The BODY is needed in wrong DOING.

GENS UNA SUMUS

Moves
28 Jun 16

Leave me alone. Go and be creepy to someone else.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
29 Jun 16

Leave me alone. Go and be creepy to someone else.
Are you absolutely sure about that?

Creepiness is relative depending on the individual. What you might think of as being fine and dandy and normal (or even noble) someone else might find objectionable and disgusting and creepy... or weird. I'm personally fascinated by academically inclined wordsmiths who demonstrate a predilection for exercises in unnecessarily convoluted buffoonery. Is that creepy? I'll admit it may seem odd, but I don't think it's creepy...

There's nothing wrong with me, wrong with me, wrong with me, wrong with wrong wrong dinga dong.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
29 Jun 16

I have seen quite a few people on these threads make the claim "There is no absolute truth".

But the statement can only be true for everyone if it is a statement of absolute truth.
What exactly is 'absolute' truth? Is it something that is always true, no exceptions?

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
29 Jun 16
1 edit

Thanks

I did. It's not.

They usually do not jail people only for thoughts but for the [b] physical actions that arise from them.
In most countries you may be right. In the USA you jail ...[text shortened]... is not bodies that go to jail, but people, and it would help Americans to see that more clearly.[/b]
In the USA you jail people mainly because they are black.

Oh good grief, another PC m***n masquerading as an intellectual.
How many of you are there?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
29 Jun 16

Originally posted by lemon lime
What exactly is 'absolute' truth? Is it something that is always true, no exceptions?
absolutely 😵

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
29 Jun 16

Red herrings.

In any country what you [b] think
will not land you in trouble.
Once you act on some evil thought, you can land in incarceration.

What does hacking require? Action with the fingers.
What does stealing require? Actions with the hands usually.
What does character assasination require? Just thinking things? No. writ ...[text shortened]... tually it will blossom out into the ________, again part of the body.

What's your problem ?[/b]
Actions reveal what is in the heart, if one could see the heart before actions would it then
matter if actions were part of the equation or not?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
29 Jun 16

Originally posted by lemon lime
"Absolute truth" is defined as inflexible reality: fixed, invariable, unalterable facts. For example, it is a fixed, invariable, unalterable fact that there are absolutely no square circles and there are absolutely no round squares.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
29 Jun 16

"Absolute truth" is defined as inflexible reality: fixed, invariable, unalterable facts. For example, it is a fixed, invariable, unalterable fact that there are absolutely no square circles and there are absolutely no round squares.
A circle is defined as a shape all of whose points are an equal distance from its centre. A square is a shape whose four sides are all straight and the same length and has right angles at the corners. Consider the space with the following metric:

g(x , y) = x^2 if x >=y
g(x, y) = y^2 if y >=x

a square arranged in that space so its corners are at +/- 1 is a square because vectors parallel transported along its edges do not change direction, until they reach the corners where there are right angles. It has all its point equidistant from the origin because of the way distance is defined in the space I've constructed. So the square is also a circle. In other words one can have a square circle.