1. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Dec '10 23:221 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    Once again you ignore the obvious which is the centurians faith. What does the Bible say that faith equals? Is it righteousness per chance?
    so the centurion had faith that Jesus could cure his servent and that means that all Christians now have a pretext for going to war and killing other Christians, I see, G W Bush would have been proud of this fabrication, i am sure he could have used i as plan B in Iraq , if the WMD ploy had failed.
  2. Joined
    09 Oct '10
    Moves
    14 Dec '10 00:48
    In fact, why not just let the Taliban and Al qadea and company have their way with us as well?
    You are a hypocrite. On the Debates Forum you frequently argue that the U.S. should pull out of Afghanistan and leave the Taliban to it. And here you are trying to browbeat robbie about it.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Dec '10 02:232 edits
    Originally posted by John W Booth
    You are a hypocrite. On the Debates Forum you frequently argue that the U.S. should pull out of Afghanistan and leave the Taliban to it. And here you are trying to browbeat robbie about it.
    No, what I am saying is that as a soldier you have orders to follow to accomplish a certain task even if you do not understand or may disagree with that task. We all encounter this dilemma no matter your job, however, that does not mean that you turn off your conscience when you feel as though you are violating your own inner moral compass. For example, you are sent to Afghanistan to attack those who are at war with you, namely Al Qaeda. You know that if you are not fighting them here, they will try and find a way to fight you elsewhere. You may not agree with the tactics in particular battles nor may you agree with the presence of American troops in Afghanistan, but you are sent to do a job in good conscience. However, if that commander asks you to kill innocent civilians, for example, you may decline and not carry out those orders because they are not the law breakers your are after.

As for myself, I understand that the US has an enemy in Al Qaeda and nothing will ever change that. They will seek to kill Americans abroad no matter what the US does and if those soldiers were not there millions would die. However, that does not mean that I agree with the tactics they are using currently in Afghanistan. In short, there is nothing really to accomplish there other than try to set up a government in Afghanistan that opposes your enemies. If South Korea is any indication, that will mean troops will stay there indefinately and I just don't see that it is worth the cost.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Dec '10 02:311 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    so the centurion had faith that Jesus could cure his servent and that means that all Christians now have a pretext for going to war and killing other Christians, I see, G W Bush would have been proud of this fabrication, i am sure he could have used i as plan B in Iraq , if the WMD ploy had failed.
    This is a ridiculous assessment. It is similar to Zacheas the tax collector Jesus encountered. Was it a sin being a tax collector? I don't think so, however, I also don't think that Zacheas had always been an honest one. The same thing can be said of a soldier or a lawyer or a doctor etc. In short, I don't think that job titles nor certain salary levels keep you from the pearly gates of heaven as you do. The power of Christ can penetrate any job title or amount of money because the job title and money are not the issue. The issue is the condition of man's heart who holds that job or attains that salary.
  5. Joined
    09 Oct '10
    Moves
    14 Dec '10 02:33
    No, what I am saying is that as a soldier you have orders to follow to accomplish a certain task even if you do not understand or may disagree with that task. We all encounter this dilemma no matter your job, however, that does not mean that you turn off your conscience when you feel as though you are violating your own inner moral compass. For example, you ...[text shortened]... t will mean troops will stay there indefinately and I just don't see that it is worth the cost.
    Blah blah blah. You are a hypocrite.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Dec '10 02:34
    Blah blah blah. You are a hypocrite.
    So you agree? You agree that one cannot be a follower of Christ and be a soldier?
  7. Joined
    09 Oct '10
    Moves
    14 Dec '10 02:36
    So you agree?
    Non-sequitur. I said you are a hypocrite over the issue of leaving Afghanistan and leaving it to the Taliban.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Dec '10 10:57
    This is a ridiculous assessment. It is similar to Zacheas the tax collector Jesus encountered. Was it a sin being a tax collector? I don't think so, however, I also don't think that Zacheas had always been an honest one. The same thing can be said of a soldier or a lawyer or a doctor etc. In short, I don't think that job titles nor certain salary levels ...[text shortened]... ssue. The issue is the condition of man's heart who holds that job or attains that salary.
    actually in the case of Zacceus, yes it was a sin, for if you cast your mind back to the account, he was guilty of extortion and Christ came to his house because he was righteous or a sinner? what you think is irrelevant, you are not more righteous than God, who has put principles and guidelines in his word of truth the Bible to help us realise that war, preparations for and acts of are unchristian, deny it you cannot, either you beat your sword into a ploughshare or you make weapons, the choice is of the individual.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Dec '10 13:572 edits
    Non-sequitur. I said you are a hypocrite over the issue of leaving Afghanistan and leaving it to the Taliban.
    So let me get this straight. I am saying that a Christian can be as soldier AND the US government should pull out of Afghanistan and that makes me a hypocrite? Are the two mutually exclusive?

I'm not a major in Philosophy but I dare say that logically there is something amiss here on your part.
  10. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Dec '10 13:592 edits
    actually in the case of Zacceus, yes it was a sin, for if you cast your mind back to the account, he was guilty of extortion and Christ came to his house because he was righteous or a sinner? what you think is irrelevant, you are not more righteous than God, who has put principles and guidelines in his word of truth the Bible to help us realise that ...[text shortened]... her you beat your sword into a ploughshare or you make weapons, the choice is of the individual.
    But when Christ approached Peter he was also a sinner just as he did every single person he encountered. If memory serves, Peter was a fisherman so does that mean all fishermen go to hell? In fact, Peter told Christ that he was unworthy as well as the soldier that met Christ and guess what? They were both right!!!

My question to you is, what makes us righteous? Biblically is it not faith in God?
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Dec '10 14:021 edit
    But when Christ approached Peter he was also a sinner just as he did every single person he encountered. If memory serves, Peter was a fisherman so does that mean all fishermen go to hell?

My question to you is, what makes us righteous? Biblically is it not faith in God?
    yes that is correct, Christian fishermen should also not engage in carnal warfare and acts of gratuitous violence, nor kill fellow Christians on the other side of the world simply because they happen to be born in a different location.

We are not righteous in the absolute sense, we have righteousness attributed to us on the basis of Jesus Christ's blood.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    14 Dec '10 14:19
    yes that is correct, Christian fishermen should also not engage in carnal warfare and acts of gratuitous violence, nor kill fellow Christians on the other side of the world simply because they happen to be born in a different location.

We are not righteous in the absolute sense, we have righteousness attributed to us on the basis of Jesus Christ's blood.
    I thought maybe you were going to say it was because Peter killed fish and ate them.

Perhaps you have not gone too far left then. 😛
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Dec '10 14:481 edit
    I thought maybe you were going to say it was because Peter killed fish and ate them.

Perhaps you have not gone too far left then. 😛
    left of right wing Americans would take me to lets see, i dunno, fascist Italy in the twentieth century 😛
  14. Joined
    09 Oct '10
    Moves
    14 Dec '10 14:54
    So let me get this straight. I am saying that a Christian can be as soldier AND the US government should pull out of Afghanistan and that makes me a hypocrite? Are the two mutually exclusive?

I'm not a major in Philosophy but I dare say that logically there is something amiss here on your part.
    You want to pull out of Afghanistan because you want to pay less taxes and because your jonesing to criticize Obama for pulling out, while robbie wants to pull out because he has pacifist principles. You ain't on no high road, dude.
  15. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    14 Dec '10 16:18
    Originally posted by josephw
    You're diluted.
    You're diluted! 😲

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree