1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    01 Jul '13 01:10
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Not at all. It has nothing to do with what you are trying to say, whatever it means.
    Do you know what was being refered to by my saying Christ possessed the Christian ? I was not sure what he was referring to.

For it is evident that for Christ to redeem the believer is for Christ to purchase and possess the believer.

So there is no argument there. Was there something else Robbie was referring to that he calls possession ?
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    01 Jul '13 01:46
    Robbie and Galveston, are either of you criticizing the biblical revelation of the indwelling of Christ in the Christian ?

Are you equating that with something like demom "possession" ? If so you are foolish and wrong.

Demon possession entails having one's will usurped by an evil spirit. But one of the fruits of the indwelling Holy Spirit is "self control" (Galatians 5:25) .

So the indwelling of the Spirit of Christ is nothing whatsoever akin to demonic possession.
  3. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    01 Jul '13 01:56
    Originally posted by sonship
    Do you know what was being refered to by my saying Christ possessed the Christian ? I was not sure what he was referring to.

For it is evident that for Christ to redeem the believer is for Christ to purchase and possess the believer.

So there is no argument there. Was there something else Robbie was referring to that he calls possession ?
    Well I can't seem to find any bibles that use the word "possesion" it this verse but not saying one doesn't. Does yours?
    Anyway part of this scripture is speaking of the ground being cursed if a body hung on a tree or post to die and was left overnight. If it was left, the gound was to be cursed.

Some verses that gives examples of this:

In what way was the ground cursed, and for how long? The curse pronounced on the ground meant that cultivating it would now become very difficult. The effects of the cursed ground, with its thorns and thistles, were so keenly felt by Adam’s descendants that Noah’s father, Lamech, spoke of “the pain of our hands resulting from the ground which Jehovah has cursed.” (Genesis 5:29) After the Flood, Jehovah blessed Noah and his sons, stating His purpose that they fill the earth. (Genesis 9:1) God’s curse on the ground was apparently lifted.—Genesis 13:10.

Also from one of our publications:

"The Jews, being condemned by the Law, were not only shown to be sinners as offspring of Adam but were also under an additional disability. For this reason, Christ died on a torture stake, as Paul says: “Christ by purchase released us from the curse of the Law by becoming a curse instead of us, because it is written: ‘Accursed is every man hanged upon a stake.’” (Ga 3:13)
    By removing this obstacle, namely, the curse brought on the Jews by their breaking of the Law, Jesus Christ removed this barrier to life for the Jews, giving them opportunity for life. His ransom could thus benefit them as well as others.

I hope this helps some...
  4. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    01 Jul '13 01:57
    Robbie and Galveston, are either of you criticizing the biblical revelation of the indwelling of Christ in the Christian ?

Are you equating that with something like demom [b]"possession"
    ? If so you are foolish and wrong.

Demon possession entails having one's will usurped by an evil spirit. But one of the fruits of the indwelling Holy Spirit is ...[text shortened]... So the indwelling of the Spirit of Christ is nothing whatsoever akin to demonic possession.[/b]
    No it isn't involved with demonism at all.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    01 Jul '13 02:013 edits
    No it isn't involved with demonism at all.
    Just noticed your post above.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    01 Jul '13 02:111 edit
    Well I can't seem to find any bibles that use the word "possesion" it this verse but not saying one doesn't. Does yours?

Robbie implied that I spoke of such a possession. He did not say that it was in any Bible. And I don't remember using the word.

So I don't know what he's talking about. I think he's too occupied with his new "man of the street" and chummy persona.

Anyway part of this scripture is speaking of the ground being cursed if a body hung on a tree or post to die and was left overnight. If it was left, the gound was to be cursed.

You talking about Galatians 3:13 I suppose. It doesn't negate anything I wrote. For Christ to redeem the sinner from the curse of the law is to redeemed unto His possession.

Other things you mention about tree and being hung don't change that the Christian belongs to Christ -

"But you are Christ's and Christ is God's" (1 Cor. 3:23)
  7. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    01 Jul '13 02:27

Robbie implied that I spoke of such a possession. He did not say that it was in any Bible. And I don't remember using the word.

So I don't know what he's talking about. I think he's too occupied with his new "man ...[text shortened]... to Christ -

[b]"But you are Christ's and Christ is God's" (1 Cor. 3:23)
    [/b]
    So if you still want to use the word possesion here, it would still mean that the curse of the old Mosaic law was done away with our cancelled or absorbed by Jesus. Thus you can say he came inti possesion of it and humans were no longer under the curse of those laws.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    01 Jul '13 02:592 edits
    So if you still want to use the word possesion here, it would still mean that the curse of the old Mosaic law was done away with our cancelled or absorbed by Jesus. Thus you can say he came inti possesion of it and humans were no longer under the curse of those laws.

This is the problem when you jump in to rescue Robbie. Doesn't always turn out so well.

I did not insist on possession and don't remember using the word. But if you want to argue about "possession" no one can deny that the Redeemer possess those whom He has redeemed.

And indwelling certain is a ownership of Christ over those in whom He dwells. It happens that He is a gentleman and never usurps the human will but seeks to blend and mingle with His people's personalities.

Again, I DID NOT INSIST ON THE WORD POSSESSION in this regard. And Robbie never explained what his problem was other than some vague grumbling about "possession".

The believers who receive Christ the treasure into their human vessel are owned by Jesus Christ.

"Is anyone has not the Spirit of Christ, he is not of Him. But if Christ is in you ..." (Romans 8:9,10)

To have the indwelling Spirit of Christ is to belong to Christ and to have CHRIST Himself in you.

You have no case to object. Rather you should open up your heart and asked Christ the Lord to cleanse you of all your sins and come into you tonight.
  9. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    01 Jul '13 03:25

This is the problem when you jump in to rescue Robbie. Doesn't always tu ...[text shortened]... rt and asked Christ the Lord to cleanse you of all your sins and come into you tonight.
    Where do you gets this term indwelling from?
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    01 Jul '13 03:382 edits
    Where do you gets this term indwelling from?
    I gave you a long list of verses on this just the other day.

It is late and I won't reconstruct that list tonight. I recommend you read Romans chapter 9 and see if you can see CHRIST IN the believers.

For example, Romans 8:9-11 which I think I just refered to.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    01 Jul '13 03:41
    In Romans 8 dwells in you would be INDWELLING.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Jul '13 07:15

This is the problem when you jump in to rescue Robbie. Doesn't always tu ...[text shortened]... rt and asked Christ the Lord to cleanse you of all your sins and come into you tonight.
    I dunno if i can respect this 'Jesus in me', stuff dude, I mean, call it indwelling all you like, its possession all the same and is a bit freaky, no disrespect.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Jul '13 07:213 edits
    In Romans 8 [b]dwells in you would be INDWELLING.[/b]
    (Romans 8:9-11) However, you are in harmony, not with the flesh, but with the spirit, if God’s spirit truly dwells in you. But if anyone does not have Christ’s spirit, this one does not belong to him. But if Christ is in union with you, the body indeed is dead on account of sin, but the spirit is life on account of righteousness. If, now, the spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he that raised up Christ Jesus from the dead will also make your mortal bodies alive through his spirit that resides in you.

clearly the verse is a reference to Gods Holy spirit, not Jesus and it is unclear what 'resides in you', actually means, spirit itself of course is an ambiguous term, ruthlessly exploited by evangelicals to substantiate all kinds of strange teaching.

Indeed Paul explains how the spirit works,

(Ephesians 4:20-24) But you did not learn the Christ to be so, provided, indeed, that you heard him and were taught by means of him, just as truth is in Jesus, that you should put away the old personality which conforms to your former course of conduct and which is being corrupted according to his deceptive desires but that you should be made new in the force actuating your mind, and should put on the new personality which was created according to God’s will in true righteousness and loyalty.
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    01 Jul '13 10:55
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    poor Joseph has no way of knowing what an accurate translation is and what is not , so like the majority of nominal Christians he simply takes it upon trust that what it written in English is actually what the Greek text says.

If we are to believe his words, then the context makes it clear that, Christ created himself?? (verse 16) that Chrsit is ...[text shortened]... ith reference to Christ, 'the first born of all creation', oh dear, he's not doing very well.
    Rom. 8:29
    For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate [to be] conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Col. 1:15
    Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:

Col. 1:1818
    And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all [things] he might have the preeminence.

Being the "firstborn", in this context, doesn't mean that the Son of God was the first created being.

I'll leave it to you to figure that one out for yourself robbie. After all you have made it abundantly clear that you are expert in Biblical studies.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    01 Jul '13 11:52
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    (Romans 8:9-11) However, you are in harmony, not with the flesh, but with the spirit, if God’s spirit truly dwells in you. But if anyone does not have Christ’s spirit, this one does not belong to him. But if Christ is in union with you, the body indeed is dead on account of sin, but the spirit is life on account of righteousness. If, now, the spirit ...[text shortened]... e new personality which was created according to God’s will in true righteousness and loyalty.
    Argumentation with the same person for months and even years, I am going to begin to avoid.

But I am surprised that after talking so much about language that you resort to a rather loose paraphrase English version of Romans 8.

I am going to try to find some new posters to discuss these things with. This is going around in circles and becomes an intolerable vanity.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree