Anyone know for sure how old the earth is?

Anyone know for sure how old the earth is?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S

Moves
23 May 07

Originally posted by KellyJay
A fact is I have a ten dollar bill in my wallet right now, a belief is
something I cannot know for certain at the moment, you have a great
deal of faith if you want to say it is a fact. You could also be in error
saying it is a fact, but you want to call your beliefs facts, than you
have created a religion.
Kelly
That's just not true. A fact is merely a belief you hold with near certain investiture. You can say it is a fact that the sun will rise tomorrow, but that does not mean that it will, the only way you can know that the sun will rise tomorrow is if it actually does. To make such a claim is by inductive resaoning based on previous experience, which is not the definition you are making of 'fact'.

It is not a certain fact that there is a ten dollar bill in your wallet, unless you are actually looking at it at the moment. You may be sure you put it there an hour or so ago, you may be sure that nobody has taken it, but it remains possible that it is not in there. You can only prove it in hindsight and only hold the claim that there is a ten dollar bill in your wallet through abductive reasoning. Your beliefs are what give rise to what you call fact and often your labelling of fact is used incorrectly to assert strong belief.

The second bit about religion is just nonsense.

S

Moves
23 May 07

Originally posted by Phuzudaka
So if you don't have facts, it is a matter of faith is it not?
No, you're confusing belief and faith. Belief is te amount of certainty you hold in something supported by evidence, the more evidence the more belief is warranted. Faith is something which does not rest on evidence, but is an application of belief without support.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
23 May 07
2 edits

Originally posted by Starrman
That's just not true. A fact is merely a belief you hold with near certain investiture. You can say it is a fact that the sun will rise tomorrow, but that does not mean that it will, the only way you can know that the sun will rise tomorrow is if it actually does. To make such a claim is by inductive resaoning based on previous experience, which is not t used incorrectly to assert strong belief.

The second bit about religion is just nonsense.
"You can say it is a fact that the sun will rise tomorrow, but that does not mean that it will, the only way you can know that the sun will rise tomorrow is if it actually does."

Yep, actually matters, just as I actually have a ten in my wallet
even now. Saying what we think or believe is not speaking about facts,
or reality, but what we think or believe.
Kelly

Cape Town

Moves
23 May 07

A fact is I have a ten dollar bill in my wallet right now, a belief is
something I cannot know for certain at the moment, you have a great
deal of faith if you want to say it is a fact. You could also be in error
saying it is a fact, but you want to call your beliefs facts, than you
have created a religion.
Kelly
So you have just created a religion based on your belief that you have a 10 dollar bill in your pocket? You must be very religious and have millions of religions.
You cannot possibly know for sure about the 10 dollar bill in your pocket so your claim that is a fact is just faith.

Cape Town

Moves
23 May 07

You experience the earth but not the age of the earth, your
assumptions make you believe you have clue how old it is.
Kelly
I experience both. My interpretations of my perceptions as being experiences of both are based on assumptions yes, but the your attempt to claim that my interpretation of the earth is more solid than my interpretation of the age of the earth is unfounded.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
23 May 07

No, you're confusing belief and faith. Belief is te amount of certainty you hold in something supported by evidence, the more evidence the more belief is warranted. Faith is something which does not rest on evidence, but is an application of belief without support.
I see where we disagree, I believe you can have evidence and it
support your beliefs, faith isn't always blind as you seem to want to
make it out to be. I'd even go so far to say not many have a blind
faith that isn't supported by evidence as far as they are concern.
Kelly

S

Moves
23 May 07

Faith isn't always blind as you seem to want to
make it out to be.
Yes it is, were it not, it would be a belief.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
23 May 07

Originally posted by twhitehead
I experience both. My interpretations of my perceptions as being experiences of both are based on assumptions yes, but the your attempt to claim that my interpretation of the earth is more solid than my interpretation of the age of the earth is unfounded.
You experience over a billion years, amazing.
Kelly

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
23 May 07

Yes it is, were it not, it would be a belief.
We disagree.
Kelly

Pimp!

Gangster Land

Moves
23 May 07

We disagree.
Kelly
Are the words "faith" and "belief" completely interchangeable in your mind?

Cape Town

Moves
23 May 07

You experience over a billion years, amazing.
Kelly
Yes it is amazing what science can do.
I can similarly experience over a trillion stars over billions of years simply by looking up at the sky at night. All experience has a time factor or did you think that the speed of light was instantaneous?

s
Slappy slap slap

Under your bed...

Moves
23 May 07

Since no one existed before I was born, I'll wager about 25 years.

P

Moves
23 May 07

I can similarly experience over a trillion stars over billions of years simply by looking up at the sky at night. All experience has a time factor or did you think that the speed of light was instantaneous?
So if the speed of light is a constant today, you know for a fact that it has been so for billions of years?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
23 May 07

You said what you experienced, your name science?
Kelly

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
23 May 07

Originally posted by TheSkipper
Are the words "faith" and "belief" completely interchangeable in your mind?
nope
Kelly