Anyone know for sure how old the earth is?

Anyone know for sure how old the earth is?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S

Moves
23 May 07

Originally posted by KellyJay
nope
Kelly
I think the question implied that you should explain how they differ then.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
23 May 07

Originally posted by Starrman
I think the question implied that you should explain how they differ then.
I answered his question if you want to expound upon it feel free.
Kelly

Pimp!

Gangster Land

Moves
23 May 07

Originally posted by KellyJay
I answered his question if you want to expound upon it feel free.
Kelly
Geez, Kelly, why are you being so weird?

Of course I would like you to explain what you think the difference is between faith and belief.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
24 May 07

Originally posted by Phuzudaka
Strange that you do not respond to all the published flaws in Einstein's special theory of Relativity.
Sorry, my cell phone and computer stopped working because Einstein's theory is now wrong. Just a good thing I didn't waste a lot of money on nukes, that now won't work...
😞

P

Moves
24 May 07

Originally posted by scottishinnz
Sorry, my cell phone and computer stopped working because Einstein's theory is now wrong. Just a good thing I didn't waste a lot of money on nukes, that now won't work...
😞
I see, so computers, cellphones and nukes work because some guy tried to explain reality using a theory, and if his theory has flaws in it, reality is terminated...

Ignoramus.

Cape Town

Moves
24 May 07

I see, so computers, cellphones and nukes work because some guy tried to explain reality using a theory, and if his theory has flaws in it, reality is terminated...

Ignoramus.
Its more a case of some guy (guys and girls actually) were able to make computers, cellphones and nukes work because some other guy had a theory which was an accurate model of how the universe worked.
The main point is that if the theory is wrong enough for the various dating methods to be out by billions of years then it is similarly wrong enough for it to be impossible to make a computer, cellphone or nuke based on that theory. If radio-active decay is as unpredictable as you claim then we should all be very worried because all the nukes and nuclear power stations in the world may explode at any time.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
24 May 07

Originally posted by TheSkipper
Geez, Kelly, why are you being so weird?

Of course I would like you to explain what you think the difference is between faith and belief.
You want to ensure you will get additional info, ask for it, I don't read
minds.
I can have faith in you to do the right thing no matter what it is you
find yourself doing, I can believe you did do what you said. I looked
them up to see if I was about to have my head handed to me as I
defined them, and it appears to me that depending on context you
could switch them from time to time.
Kelly

P

Moves
24 May 07

Originally posted by twhitehead
Its more a case of some guy (guys and girls actually) were able to make computers, cellphones and nukes work because some other guy had a theory which was an accurate model of how the universe worked.
The main point is that if the theory is wrong enough for the various dating methods to be out by billions of years then it is similarly wrong enough for it ...[text shortened]... y worried because all the nukes and nuclear power stations in the world may explode at any time.
Ignoramus.

The logical conclusion of your absurdity:

The dating methods are wrong because there were no cell-phones, computers and nuclear power stations billions of years ago...

Try a better argument next time.

Cape Town

Moves
24 May 07
1 edit

Ignoramus.

The logical conclusion of your absurdity:

The dating methods are wrong because there were no cell-phones, computers and nuclear power stations billions of years ago...

Try a better argument next time.
Get a dictionary and look up ignoramus. You are obviously using it wrongly. Or is it the only insult you know that can get through the filters on this site?

Read my post again and you will realize that your conclusions are wrong. I rather suspect that you know that but just hate to be proved wrong and will say anything however stupid to try and save face. Sadly, it just makes you look worse and wastes all of our time. I think I will stop bothering with your posts as you clearly have no real interest in genuine discussion.

P

Moves
24 May 07

Get a dictionary and look up ignoramus. You are obviously using it wrongly. Or is it the only insult you know that can get through the filters on this site?

Read my post again and you will realize that your conclusions are wrong. I rather suspect that you know that but just hate to be proved wrong and will say anything however stupid to try and save fa ...[text shortened]... will stop bothering with your posts as you clearly have no real interest in genuine discussion.
Are you really an ignoramus, or are you just acting like one?

Maybe you would care to explain why computers, cell-phones and nuclear power plants would not work at present if the rate of decay of radioactive substances was different in the past?

If you cannot clarify this point, then you are an ignoramus, simply by definition of the word.

Cape Town

Moves
24 May 07

Maybe you would care to explain why computers, cell-phones and nuclear power plants would not work at present if the rate of decay of radioactive substances was different in the past?

If you cannot clarify this point, then you are an ignoramus, simply by definition of the word.
What I find interesting is that you are clearly more intelligent than you posts imply which leads me to the conclusion that the reason for your weird behavior in posting stuff which you yourself must realize is rather silly, is a desperate attempt to hold onto beliefs that you subconsciously realize are wrong.

P

Moves
24 May 07
2 edits

What I find interesting is that you are clearly more intelligent than you posts imply which leads me to the conclusion that the reason for your weird behavior in posting stuff which you yourself must realize is rather silly, is a desperate attempt to hold onto beliefs that you subconsciously realize are wrong.
What I find interesting is that you always demand answers without answering any questions yourself and you seem to accuse everyone of exactly that which you are in fact guilty of.

So for the last time:

How do you know for a fact that the rate of radioactive decay has been constant for the past few billion years?

And explain why computers, cell-phones and nuclear power plants would not work at present if the rate of decay of radioactive substances was in fact different in the past, or withdraw your previous statement and admit that you are an ignoramus and in fact a liar.

Cape Town

Moves
24 May 07

How do you know for a fact that the rate of radioactive decay has been constant for the past few billion years?
Both I an scotishinnz have answered this one already. But since you are too lazy to look back a few posts or too intentionally blind to see I will reiterate.
If two or more different methods are used on the same sample and result in the same date then they confirm that they are both accurate. If that is repeated over samples covering a wide date range then it is even more confirmation though only one sample test is actually required to prove the point.

And explain why computers, cell-phones and nuclear power plants would not work at present if the rate of decay of radioactive substances was in fact different in the past, or withdraw your previous statement and admit that you are an ignoramus and in fact a liar.
I never said anything of the sort. But you claimed that my argument implied that dating techniques were wrong. How so?

Again, get a dictionary and look up the word 'ignoramus' you are using it wrongly. In fact I could hardly be lying if I did not know what was correct now could I? So claiming that I am simultaneously an ignoramus and a liar is contradictory.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
24 May 07

Ignoramus.
Nope. It's just that all that technology relies on the theory of relativity being right. GPS, for example.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
24 May 07

Why are you so rude to everyone all the time? What's gnawing at you, little boy?