1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    11 Jul '14 23:42
    Originally posted by C Hess
    When certain molecules collide with certain other molecules predictable things happen. If
    those predictable things happen to be that they form proteins, or replicate themselves, how
    is that something that cannot happen "by chance". Obviously an entire cell can't form
    suddenly by chance, but the conditions required for a cell to form can certainly have ...[text shortened]... their own, complexity grows, and with it, the seeming appearance of
    "information" structures.
    I don't see the result of life just happening by natural laws being as simple
    as you are painting it. Even if I were to grant that and I don't, I still do not
    see how it could not only start, but continue and flourish! Life is fragile
    here, I can only believe that it would be more so if it began on a world that
    had no other life on it. If that life got to hot or cold, it would die if it ran out
    of food it would die, if during mutations went wrong it could die. At a very
    high level I just think that there is to much against it occurring than what
    would help it start and continue as it became more complex.
    Kelly
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    12 Jul '14 02:44
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Life is fragile
    On the contrary - life is very persistent.

Antarctica is one of the most physically and chemically extreme
    terrestrial environments to be inhabited by microorganisms. Nonetheless,
    on February 6, 2013, scientists reported that bacteria were found living in
    the cold and dark in a lake buried a half-mile deep under the ice in
    Antarctica.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antarctic_microorganism
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Jul '14 03:53
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    On the contrary - life is very persistent.

Antarctica is one of the most physically and chemically extreme
    terrestrial environments to be inhabited by microorganisms. Nonetheless,
    on February 6, 2013, scientists reported that bacteria were found living in
    the cold and dark in a lake buried a half-mile deep under the ice in
    Antarctica.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antarctic_microorganism
    What are you thinking? That is a wonderful place for bacteria to live. Take away any Hydrogen and Oxygen then that might be called a chemically extreme hostile living environment.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Jul '14 04:42
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    What are you thinking? That is a wonderful place for bacteria to live. Take away any Hydrogen and Oxygen then that might be called a chemically extreme hostile living environment.
    Well then, how bout ones that digest sulfur?

https://php.radford.edu/~swoodwar/biomes/?page_id=1027

They live above the boiling point of water also, 210 degrees F.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Jul '14 04:55
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Well then, how bout ones that digest sulfur?

https://php.radford.edu/~swoodwar/biomes/?page_id=1027

They live above the boiling point of water also, 210 degrees F.
    So What? Who Cares?

YouTube
  6. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    12 Jul '14 07:31
    as you are painting it. Even if I were to grant that and I don't, I still do not
    had no other life on it. If that life got ...[text shortened]... ainst it occurring than what
    Kelly
    As wolfgang points out, life is such that it can thrive in extremely hostile environments. Not
    humans, no, but what we're essentially made of; living cells. This is the point I'm trying to
    make: Once you have stable molecules of one kind, they can bond (conditions admitting)
    with others to form even more complex structures. They often also affect the environment
    one way or the other so that previously impossible bonds become possible. And so the
    complexity can build over time through a completely natural process, until you have the
    first cells, from which larger and more complex organisms inevitably evolves. It requires
    no magic of any kind, and it's consistent with what we know about chemistry and biology
    today.

Understand that my point is not to say that there's absolutely no way life could have been
    started by an intelligent mind, your god, but that it seems more plausible (knowing what we
    know about chemistry and biology) that it began in very simple forms of chemistry and
    gradually increased in complexity as time passed. For all I know an intelligence could have
    started it, and even to some degree guide the subsequent evolution, but that would be
    impossible to know from studying the natural world alone, I think.
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    12 Jul '14 10:301 edit
    As wolfgang points out, life is such that it can thrive in extremely hostile environments. Not
    humans, no, but what we're essentially made of; living cells. This is the point I'm trying to
    make: Once you have stable molecules of one kind, they can bond (conditions admitting)
    with others to form even more complex structures. They often also affect the en ...[text shortened]... volution, but that would be
    impossible to know from studying the natural world alone, I think.
    I agree where life is in its niche it does well, but that really isn't what we
    are talking about now is it? In a lifeless world, a speck of life starts, and
    that is saying something. On top of that it starts in a place that allows it to
    continue, that is also saying something. Once it started, it started
    procreating itself, that is also saying something. After it started
    procreating, it maintained and became even more complex, and that is
    saying something.

Nothing throughout any of this did the conditions ever change that would
    end it, no mutation, or disease killed it off, no lack of food, and on and on.
    I know good Science Fiction has life finding away, but seriously?
    I think it is a huge leap of faith to accept that, more so than even accepting
    God is real!
    Kelly
  8. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    12 Jul '14 10:42
    procreating itself, that is also saying something ...[text shortened]... hink it is a huge leap of faith to accept that, more so than even accepting
    God is real!
    Kelly
    Is there a point here?
    What are you claiming?
  9. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    12 Jul '14 17:02
    procreating itself, that is also saying something ...[text shortened]... hink it is a huge leap of faith to accept that, more so than even accepting
    God is real!
    Kelly
    Of course life starts on lifeless world, or it wouldn't be a start at all, would it? But if that
    lifeless world has all the ingredients, the right conditions for life, it's no wonder that life
    would begin eventually, and I'm saying that those conditions can most certainly come
    about through an unguided, gradual chemical process over time.
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    12 Jul '14 19:421 edit
    Of course life starts on lifeless world, or it wouldn't be a start at all, would it? But if that
    lifeless world has all the ingredients, the right conditions for life, it's no wonder that life
    would begin eventually, and I'm saying that those conditions can most certainly come
    So in a lifeless world, you are saying all the ingredients were in the right
    place, at the right time, under the right perpetual conditions, in the right
    quantities, they will be setup properly (right/left handed), they will brought
    together without ruining any of the ingredients around them that are
    necessary, with enough food to continue the process throughout time
    without anything going wrong to end this process? All of this must of just
    happen, because the odds of all of this happening are 100%, it will just be?

It takes great faith in my opinion, I mean seriously, all of that you just think
    it will happen completely unguided over time, it just has too!

Have you tried to look at all of that stuff and see what is required, apart
    from the other true believers in your camp? I mean if you just accept it as
    it was going to happen there was no way it couldn't, then nothing anyone
    will say or show you that can shake that, you are a true believer.
    Kelly
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Jul '14 20:015 edits
    We creationists, who believe the history in the Holy Bible, are saying that life could not have come about by unguided, gradual chemical process over time. We are not just relying on the testimony of inspired scripture alone, but also in the testimony in natural science.

The complexity of living creatures has long been a reason to believe in a Life-giving Creator, like the One described in the Holy Bible. But the most recent discovery of information encoded in the DNA molecule of cells is the strongest evidence yet of this complexity that needed a superior intelligence to devise systems of encoding and decoding better than man has ever devised in computer information technology.

Man is now borrowing ideas from God's DNA computer systems to increase the capabilities of our own computer information technology as we have always borrowed ideas from His creations to produce all our other inferior technologies.

Most people are not stupid enough to say telephone, radio, television, automotive, and radar technologies just developed on their own. However, it seems common today for people to think the more complex systems of nature just came together by chance occurrences. I don't think so. Now, neither does former atheist Antony Flew.

Famous Atheist Antony Flew Changes Mind, Believes in God

YouTube

Maybe one day I will learn that I will save time if I read my comments before posting them. I had five typing errors and edited each one as I noticed it. That meant this took me six posts just to post one message. My mind and fingers are not cooperating as good as they used to.
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    12 Jul '14 23:20
    We creationists, who believe the history in the Holy Bible, are saying that life could not have come about by unguided, gradual chemical process over time. We are not just relying on the testimony of inspired scripture alone, but also in the testimony in natural science.

The complexity of living creatures has long been a reason to believe in a Life-givin ...[text shortened]... osts just to post one message. My mind and fingers are not cooperating as good as they used to.
    With respect to errors in typing a simple message. It should let each of us
    know that it isn't simple to type a simple message, yet there are those of
    us who gladly believe that life could just happen without someone either
    guiding the process, or simply creating it.
    Kelly
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 Jul '14 01:16
    had no other life on it. If that life got ...[text shortened]... ainst it occurring than what
    Kelly
    A billion years is a long time. I imagine life probably could have started and re-started many times before it gained a lasting foothold.

What you're missing though, is that it was under the hand of God, and so it was destined to eventually flourish. A billion years is a long time.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 Jul '14 01:181 edit

The complexity of living creatures has long been a reason to believe in a Life-givin ...[text shortened]... osts just to post one message. My mind and fingers are not cooperating as good as they used to.
    But can you possibly imagine that it happened just as the scientists say, only that it was guided by the hand of God?

Is this *really* too hard to comprehend?

There is a reason He did it this way. So that those who choose to disbelieve in God can be satisfied they're right. Believing in God must be a choice. You cannot choose to disbelieve scientifically if God just said "Poof!" and made the universe in one day. That would be way too obvious if that were so. So He takes almost 14 billion years to make everything so that the God-deniers can believe it "just happened on its own".

One must believe in God based on Faith. Science is never going to prove God, because there can always be another explanation. This is as it should be.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    13 Jul '14 01:20
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    A billion years is a long time. I imagine life probably could have started and re-started many times before it gained a lasting foothold.

What you're missing though, is that it was under the hand of God, and so it was destined to eventually flourish. A billion years is a long time.
    What you are missing is that God did it all in 6 days, not over billions of years. (Genesis 1)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree