1. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 02:241 edit
    Originally posted by UzumakiAi
    Are you misunderstanding me? I was asking if you meant "passionate" when you said "spiritual". You apparently did not. Instead, you meant religious on an individual level. The answer to my question then, is that you are religious. I don't care what you are passionate about, you needn't worry.

You can use whatever words you want, but "challenging convent nist, millenarian Christian denomination. The RELIGION reports worldwide..."
    No not all values are immaterial, that is not true, for if it were the case then the worlds economies could not work. Your Pc/laptop had a monetary value, if you own your house, your car, it has a monetary value, which is not immaterial, for if you sold it you would see the pile of cash which represented the value of your house. You could touch it and play with it, smoke it or give it away. Thus the statement that all values are immaterial is to my mind erroneous.

Spirituality is i think quite clearly defined as values which are immaterial. For example, we see a lady who is pretty, we assign her a value based on her appearance, a physical value, based upon what we can see and touch (if you are brave enough), we cannot see what is inside her, what motivates her, what are her aspirations and dreams, for these values are of a spiritual nature.

Dictionaries are not to be trusted, if you want to know anything about Jehovahs Witnesses, here is the ONLY official site. You will find it in almost 4000 languages, including Japanese 🙂

http://watchtower.org/
  2. Joined
    30 Dec '07
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 02:31
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    No not all values are immaterial, that is not true, for if it were the case then the worlds economies could not work. Your Pc/laptop had a monetary value, if you own your house, your car, it has a monetary value, which is not immaterial, for if you sold it you would see the pile of cash which represented the value of your house. You could touch it ...[text shortened]... o know anything about Jehovahs Witnesses, here is the ONLY official site

wwww:watchtower.org
    We are speaking not of monetary values, but of human values. The only reason that there are the monetary values there are is because people's minds value that which is worth something to them. I am sorry if I am being unclear. If a house were not valued buy anyone, no monetary value would be assigned. The monetary value is a representation of the perceived value, which is immaterial.

What is valued may or may not be material. You can value friendship, which is immaterial, or a friend, which is material, but the desire and value of those two things is in the perception of them.

The value of beauty is similarly immaterial. You may desire beauty, or you may desire a beautiful person. You may value a person with a pure soul (and I use soul in a secular fashion), or you may value a pure soul in a person. The important thing is not the state of that which is valued, but the value itself, which is always immaterial regardless of how you phrase things.

Thank you for the link.
  3. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 02:39
    Religious (Christian)
    (Although I believe true Christianity is a relationship with Jesus Christ)

"Jehovah's Witnesses is a restorationist, millenarian Christian denomination. The RELIGION reports worldwide..."

By the way that is spot on what the JW's are at least their history.

Manny
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 02:41
    We are speaking not of monetary values, but of human values. The only reason that there are the monetary values there are is because people's minds value that which is worth something to them. I am sorry if I am being unclear. If a house were not valued buy anyone, no monetary value would be assigned. The monetary value is a representation of the perceived ...[text shortened]... elf, which is always immaterial regardless of how you phrase things.

Thank you for the link.
    yes its is true, money is merely a representation, however the realisation of its value is physical, a house, or a car etc etc. Is it not the case? same with physical beauty, we assign it a value based on its physical representation. The value in itself may be immaterial, however its source is certainly physical. This appears to my mind to be in contrast to what is spiritual, for the representation of its value is based on what is unseen, a morality, or an idea, the character of God or the example of an esteemed figure.

you are most welcome.
  5. Joined
    30 Dec '07
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 02:45
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    yes its is true, money is merely a representation, however the realisation of its value is physical, a house, or a car etc etc. Is it not the case? same with physical beauty, we assign it a value based on its physical representation. The value in itself may be immaterial, however its source is certainly physical. This appears to my mind to be in ...[text shortened]... or an idea, the character of God or the example of an esteemed figure.

you are most welcome.
    Okay, I think I understand what you mean. I still think that you are religious, and I still want to know about how people identify in that respect, but I see that the dichotomy you are presenting is just as meaningful.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 02:49
    Okay, I think I understand what you mean. I still think that you are religious, and I still want to know about how people identify in that respect, but I see that the dichotomy you are presenting is just as meaningful.
    lol, me meaningful? that shall be a first!, its late i am just talking, i need to sleep before i say too much and wake up wondering if i upset anyone last night with the smoke rings of my mind - goodnight to you my friend and if you see the 'brothers', in Japan, give them my warmest regards - Robbie.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 04:49
    I would like to poll you, please. How many people here are atheistic, and how many religious?
    I am athiest.
    You would have done better to avoid the term 'religious' and gone with either 'theist', or even offered 'agnostic' as well. There are plenty of people who consider themselves both theists and areligious.
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 07:31
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I am athiest.
    You would have done better to avoid the term 'religious' and gone with either 'theist', or even offered 'agnostic' as well. There are plenty of people who consider themselves both theists and areligious.
    I agree "religous' is a difficult term to understand in todays intellectual climate.
    I consider myself 'religous' but it would be drawing a long bow to be able to relate my reigous practices with that of other established religons.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 11:16
    I would like to poll you, please. How many people here are atheistic, and how many religious?
    Christian.
  10. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    27 Mar '10 01:18
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    atheist
    No religion and ALL religions.

I just canceled myself out.

Heaven and Nirvana all at once 😛
  11. Joined
    20 Feb '10
    Moves
    27 Mar '10 01:55

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. Joined
    20 Feb '10
    Moves
    27 Mar '10 01:58

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    27 Mar '10 02:26
    You don't think you can be both?
  14. Illinois
    Moves
    27 Mar '10 04:551 edit
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    You don't think you can be both?
    My thoughts exactly; one can be religiously atheistic.

EDIT: Although I do not mean to insinuate that atheism is a religion, mind you.
  15. Illinois
    Moves
    27 Mar '10 04:58
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I am athiest.
    There are plenty of people who consider themselves both theists and areligious.

Deists.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree