Atheism doesn't have a persuasive message...

Atheism doesn't have a persuasive message...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S. Korea

Moves
28 May 18

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
It also comes on the back of him, yesterday, lampooning Einstein.

Einstein!!!
Einstein is a very easy and common target in groups of people who have evolved a bit beyond lunch table geek discussions.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
28 May 18

Originally posted by @fmf
An atheist is someone who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of a god or gods. Some atheists claim that there is no god or gods while other atheists, like me, do not claim that there is no god or gods but simply do not hold a belief in their existence. An atheist is someone who is not a theist.
I think you have a great future in politics, Kiddo.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
28 May 18

Originally posted by @romans1009
I think you have a great future in politics, Kiddo.
Ghost! Busters!

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
28 May 18

Be that as it may, but...

Atheist : A person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods. Oxford Dictionary.

Atheist : someone who does not believe in any God or gods. Cambridge Dictionary.

Ho hum. So a dictionary duel isn't going to solve this.

It's clearly a more involved topic.
Ok. So, what you appear to be saying is that while you are denying that you have ever said "there is no God" you state you are an atheist that doesn't believe in the existence of any gods.

This isn't a joke. I'm serious. What's the difference whether you said "there is no God" explicitly or not, yet say you're an atheist, which means you don't believe there is a God, and not explicitly saying "there is no God"?

Are you a closet atheist? Just come out.

F

Moves
28 May 18

Originally posted by @secondson
Ok. So, what you appear to be saying is that while you are denying that you have ever said "there is no God" you state you are an atheist that doesn't believe in the existence of any gods.

This isn't a joke. I'm serious. What's the difference whether you said "there is no God" explicitly or not, yet say you're an atheist, which means you don't believe ...[text shortened]... a God, and not explicitly saying "there is no God"?

Are you a closet atheist? Just come out.
I have already told you several times what kind of atheist I am. There is not just this thread - your supposedly "serious" question presupposes you have read virtually nothing that I have posted - but there was also a thread called "Agnostic atheism" only a couple of months ago when we traded 40-50 posts specifically about my atheism.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
28 May 18

I have already told you several times what kind of atheist I am. There is not just this thread - your supposedly "serious" question presupposes you have read virtually nothing that I have posted - but there was also a thread called "Agnostic atheism" only a couple of months ago when we traded 40-50 posts specifically about my atheism.
Your use of the term "atheist" seems vague and without a clear definition. "...what kind of atheist I am" is indistinct.

It really boils down to just one thing. An atheist believes there is no God.

F

Moves
28 May 18

Your use of the term "atheist" seems vague and without a clear definition. "...what kind of atheist I am" is indistinct.

It really boils down to just one thing. An atheist believes there is no God.
An atheist lacks belief in a god or gods. Some atheists go further and claim there is no god or gods. Some "denounce" religious belief. I am more open-minded than all that, in my view. But I am unconvinced by the claims religionists make about the various divine revelations their faiths are rooted in.

There are gradations of this lack of belief among atheists, just as there are gradations of certainty of belief among theists. You trying to boil this complicated field down to something pointlessly simplistic with your 8 words from one carefully selected dictionary followed by tra-la-la and fingers in your ears serves no purpose for an exploration of the topic in hand.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
28 May 18

An atheist lacks belief in a god or gods. Some atheists go further and claim there is no god or gods. Some "denounce" religious belief. I am more open-minded than all that, in my view. But I am unconvinced by the claims religionists make about the various divine revelations their faiths are rooted in.

There are gradations of this lack of belief among atheis ...[text shortened]... by tra-la-la and fingers in your ears serves no purpose for an exploration of the topic in hand.
The topic of the gradations of belief by atheists is of no value. It simply boils down to one thing. Atheists don't know God, that He exists or that they are known of God and can know Him.

Atheism denies the existence of God and that anything can be known about a God that doesn't exist.

Atheism is a total and complete distraction from reality.

F

Moves
28 May 18

The topic of the gradations of belief by atheists is of no value. It simply boils down to one thing. Atheists don't know God, that He exists or that they are known of God and can know Him.

Atheism denies the existence of God and that anything can be known about a God that doesn't exist.

Atheism is a total and complete distraction from reality.
I don't claim there is no god or gods. I lack such belief, so I am an atheist. If this truly is a "complete distraction from reality" and "is of no value" to you, then I suggest you don't talk to atheists.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
28 May 18

I don't claim there is no god or gods. I lack such belief, so I am an atheist. If this truly is a "complete distraction from reality" and "is of no value" to you, then I suggest you don't talk to atheists.
I love talking to atheists. Why would I want to stop?

Ok. I'll accept your definition of the kind of atheist you claim to be. You lack belief in a god or gods, but don't claim there aren't any.

What would change your mind? If Jesus walked up to you and said, "hello, my name is Jesus. You can read about me in the Bible. Here, look and see the marks of crucifixion on my hands and feet and the wound in my side where they pierced me". Would that change your mind?

F

Moves
28 May 18

What would change your mind?
I'll tell you if and when it happens.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
28 May 18

I'll tell you if and when it happens.
Might be too late by then. Just sayin'.

F

Moves
28 May 18

I have had a good innings. No complaints. Might squeeze another 20 years out of it yet, if I'm lucky.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
28 May 18

I have had a good innings. No complaints. Might squeeze another 20 years out of it yet, if I'm lucky.
I could use 20 or 30 more. I'm not done yet. Much to do. I'll start seeing great-grandchildren in maybe 10 or 15. Life's been good to me and mine. All are healthy. A few regrets, but I can't complain either.

Moves
28 May 18

Isn't it about time someone posted Pascal's Wager as if they are the first in recorded history to discover it?