1. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    21 Dec '12 14:05
    Originally posted by Ullr
    "When that physical stuff stops working, we cease to exist.

This is true beyond any and all reasonable doubt. "

Oh no you are absolutely wrong. There is plenty of reasonable doubt when you consider how vast our universe is and just how little we actually know. When you claim that there is no reasonable doubt at all you put the burden of proof upon yourself.
    Yeah. we've met that burden.

I am sorry but physics has got past the point of their being any reasonable wiggle room on this issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=X5Fel1VKEN8
  2. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    21 Dec '12 15:09
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Yeah. we've met that burden.

I am sorry but physics has got past the point of their being any reasonable wiggle room on this issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=X5Fel1VKEN8
    I don't know why you posted this video as it doesn't support your argument. The speaker admitted there is still much that physics does not understand. You know small things like ... THE BIG BANG.

Anyhow there is plenty of room left for reasonable doubt when it comes to the existance or not of an afterlife because nothing physics has proven or disproven proves:

a. The possible existance or not of a human soul.

b. How the universe was initiated. How something came into existence out of nothing, why and how it came into existence, etc.

The search continues.
  3. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    21 Dec '12 15:271 edit
    I don't know why you posted this video as it doesn't support your argument. The speaker admitted there is still much that physics does not understand. You know small things like ... THE BIG BANG.

Anyhow there is plenty of room left for reasonable doubt when it comes to the existance or not of an afterlife because nothing physics has proven or disproven pro ...[text shortened]... to existence out of nothing, why and how it came into existence, etc.

The search continues.
    Did you watch the entire video?

EDIT: Also I studied physics at university and keep myself up-to-date on the subject.

Is it likely that I would post a video of a physicist talking about physics if it didn't support my argument?
  4. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    21 Dec '12 16:13
    Did you watch the entire video?

EDIT: Also I studied physics at university and keep myself up-to-date on the subject.

Is it likely that I would post a video of a physicist talking about physics if it didn't support my argument?
    I went back and watched it again. I admit that it is a very strong argument. I'm still not 100% convinced probably because I can't be convinced. I guess I'll just have to die to find out.
  5. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    21 Dec '12 21:08
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Precisely and humorously written post which chooses to ignore the fact that loved ones and friends
    wern't in any way ever coerced. Sadly, even the hypothetical wife chose her own final destination.
    -
    A dodgy response which chooses to ignore human nature -- or at least, the nature of every human who isn't a psychopath. (Can psychopaths go to Heaven?) If a beloved spouse will not or can not invest faith in your god, and goes to Hell whilst you go to Heaven, how exactly do you "live" with yourself in heaven eon after eon after eon in the kingdom of the selfsame demented deity who is torturing your wife every moment of every day?

I suppose one answer would be that, upon being "saved", you undergo a brilliant spiritual transformation of some kind that changes you to such an extent that all prior earthly cares pale into insignificance. Indeed, the transformation is so terrific that you understand, somehow, that the eternal tormenting of the damned is justifiable and necessary.

There is a word for such a complete transformation of one's personality: insanity. Another word might be death, because the things we care about on Earth are what make us who we are, and so to lose those cares would be tantamount to death. So much for immortality. One's "saved" self would have no connection whatsoever to one's previous "mundane" self.

So, even accepting Christianity's premises about the afterlife (which I do not), it all rings hollow, and appears to be as much a hell as Hell itself. Heaven is a hateful moonscape of madness without horizon or end.

Eternity is a long time to live under the heel of a Supreme Fascist.
  6. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    21 Dec '12 21:15

b. How the universe was initiated. How something came into existence out of nothing, why and how it came into existence, etc.
    This "something out of nothing" meme is rarely called into question, but just consider for a moment that it may be the universe did not spring from "nothing", but rather from some prior "something".

Carry on.
  7. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    21 Dec '12 21:281 edit
    No it's not weak nor knee jerk. My belief is based on my own father's near death experience from when he had an aneurism at the age of 21 and survived. He was dead on the operating table for a few minutes and saw himself leaving his body in the operating room and then entering a room where he saw his ancestors there waiting for him. Then he was brought back. feel the need to be insulting towards those that have a different belief then you. Typical.
    A couple points.

First, if the dearly departed are really floating around out there in some spirit form, I'd like to think they have far better things to do than loiter at the Gateway to Eternity to wave at me should an aneurism bring me within their sights.

Second, and more seriously, let's consider your father's experience. The fact that he remembers the experience means that his brain was actively forming memory engrams whilst he was "dead" on the operating table. If his soul left his body to have this experience, how exactly did the experience get transmitted back to his brain on planet Earth in order to form memory engrams? Or did the engrams form all at once when the soul returned? The simpler explanation is that the experience was hallucinatory in nature, as has already been mentioned.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    21 Dec '12 21:38
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    A dodgy response which chooses to ignore human nature -- or at least, the nature of every human who isn't a psychopath. (Can psychopaths go to Heaven?) If a beloved spouse will not or can not invest faith in your god, and goes to Hell whilst you go to Heaven, how exactly do you "live" with yourself in heaven eon after eon after eon in the kingdom of the sel ...[text shortened]... rizon or end.

Way off the mark on every count. Reverse all of these sentences and begin to glimpse the outer boundaries of truth. Truth is singular, not plural. Especially backwards with "undergo a brilliant spiritual transformation"... an ignorant infant's capable of crying for food, sucking mammary glands and soiling diapers. Twenty years later, the child changes his or her mind about Christ. A dichotomous being becomes trichotomous. Still an ignorant infant with a head full of soiled informational diapers and dead wong conclusions that still run the show even though those in the periphery expect 'great things', more taboos and sickly sweet talk overnight. Daily renovation of the mind is the scriptural precept. Please let Miss Commonsense monitor your forum posts... for your sake. Still believe you're better than the performance you've given here. Believe, also, that you're afraid to let go of the truth mixed with error that darkens your mind and inhibits your natural curiosity and desire to get it right. (gb)
  9. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    21 Dec '12 21:40
    Way off the mark on every count. Reverse all of these sentences and begin to glimpse the outer boundaries of truth. Truth is singular, not plural. Especially backwards with "undergo a brilliant spiritual transformation"... an ignorant infant's capable of crying for food, sucking mammary glands and soiling diapers. Twenty years later, the child changes h ...[text shortened]... t darkens your mind and inhibits your natural curiosity and desire to get it right. (gb)
    Word salad.
  10. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Dec '12 21:571 edit
    Word salad.
    did you ever see 'minority report'? i think g.b. maybe a precog.
  11. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    22 Dec '12 02:31
    This "something out of nothing" meme is rarely called into question, but just consider for a moment that it may be the universe did not spring from "nothing", but rather from some prior "something".

Carry on.
    It's mind boggling I admit. Maybe some mushrooms would help to understand it better. Nah I'm too old for that anymore.
  12. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    22 Dec '12 02:37
    A couple points.

First, if the dearly departed are really floating around out there in some spirit form, I'd like to think they have far better things to do than loiter at the Gateway to Eternity to wave at me should an aneurism bring me within their sights.

Second, and more seriously, let's consider your father's experience. The fact that he rememb ...[text shortened]... lanation is that the experience was hallucinatory in nature, as has already been mentioned.
    Actually I would love to wait at the Gateway to Eternity (or whatever one might call it) when my children and grandchildren arrive. I personally can't think of anything in the universe better to do. But that's just me.

"Second, and more seriously, let's consider your father's experience. The fact that he remembers the experience means that his brain was actively forming memory engrams whilst he was "dead" on the operating table. If his soul left his body to have this experience, how exactly did the experience get transmitted back to his brain on planet Earth in order to form memory engrams? Or did the engrams form all at once when the soul returned? The simpler explanation is that the experience was hallucinatory in nature, as has already been mentioned"

Well thank the gods and all that is holy that you completely understand what happened to my father. I rather think his experience is good food for thought that may not be so easy to dismiss nor explain.

It's funny reading the responses of you Atheists to my comments about my father's "near death" experience. Your just as cocksure of yourselves as when a Christian on this forum defends the concepts of heaven and hell.
  13. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    22 Dec '12 04:46
    Way off the mark on every count. Reverse all of these sentences and begin to glimpse the outer boundaries of truth. Truth is singular, not plural. Especially backwards with "undergo a brilliant spiritual transformation"... an ignorant infant's capable of crying for food, sucking mammary glands and soiling diapers. Twenty years later, the child changes h ...[text shortened]... t darkens your mind and inhibits your natural curiosity and desire to get it right. (gb)
    For the sake of lucidity it may help if you started a sentence with a personal pronoun of some sort occasionally. Even then it can be quite a trial to make heads or tails of what, specifically, you're on about.
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    22 Dec '12 05:13

A dodgy response which chooses to ignore human nature -- or at least, the nature of every human who isn't a psychopath. (Can psychopaths go to Heaven?) If a beloved spouse will not or can not invest faith in your god, and goes to Hell whilst you go to Heaven, how exactly do you "live" with yourself in heaven eon after eon after eon in the kingdom of th ...[text shortened]... n or end.

"Debate and general discussion of the supernatural, religion, and the life after."
    -
  15. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    22 Dec '12 05:21

For the sake of lucidity it may help if you started a sentence with a personal pronoun of some sort occasionally. Even then it can be quite a trial to make heads or tails of what, specifically, you're on about.
    Sooth, what stimulation or joy in adhering to subjectively prescribed strictures on play of mind or style of expression? We'd all be asleep, save the mice. How boring if we were all cookie cutter the same in speech rhythms and vocabulary usage. How or what causes some people to become threatened so quickly whenever someone enters a room or forum with a different bearing, sense of purpose, swagger or gate?
    -

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree