1. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    21 Dec '12 03:53
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    It's a description of a hallucination by a person having their mind altered by drugs and oxygen
    deprivation.

It's not a matter of trust, I am sure your father really had the experiences he relayed to you.

It's just that those experiences weren't real.

We are our brains, we are physical stuff.

When that physical stuff stops working, we c ...[text shortened]... .

So personal testimony of such experiences are near worthless as evidence of anything.
    Perhaps it is the spiritual mind of the soul that keep working when the body stopped working temporarily. This so-called hallucination has been going on at least as far back as the time of Jesus.
  2. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    21 Dec '12 03:551 edit
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    It's a description of a hallucination by a person having their mind altered by drugs and oxygen
    deprivation.

It's not a matter of trust, I am sure your father really had the experiences he relayed to you.

It's just that those experiences weren't real.

We are our brains, we are physical stuff.

When that physical stuff stops working, we c ...[text shortened]... .

So personal testimony of such experiences are near worthless as evidence of anything.
    "When that physical stuff stops working, we cease to exist.

This is true beyond any and all reasonable doubt. "

Oh no you are absolutely wrong. There is plenty of reasonable doubt when you consider how vast our universe is and just how little we actually know. When you claim that there is no reasonable doubt at all you put the burden of proof upon yourself.
  3. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    21 Dec '12 04:221 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Not a game, pal. You want to fry in the Lake of Fire forever, go for it. By the way, you will have one companion, "The Worm that never dies"; that's your memory of the chances you had during your life on earth to get it right. The excruciating suffering ratchets beyond intolorable. It's both physical pain and mental self torture. Your family and friends , a worm which will remember this day; this 'fun' thread; your post and my reply. (gb)
    -
    I've often wondered how those who go to Heaven are supposed to enjoy eternity knowing many loved ones are burning in Hell. Just envision that: up there in the clouds, picnicking with the omnipotent tyrant who has your wife suffering forever in a lake of fire.

You: "Pass the ketchup, your Ineffable Mightiness."

God: "Sure."

You: "Say, I know it's only been 2.5 x 10^86 years since I last brought this up, but do you think you could possibly put an end to stripping the flesh off the bones of my dear departed Nancy, yanking her fingernails off, shoving her face into piss and s**t, and then reconstituting her to repeat the process?"

God: "Nope."

You: "Okay. Just wanted to be sure."

God: "Wuv you."

You: "Wuv you back."
  4. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    21 Dec '12 04:281 edit
    Originally posted by Ullr

"What does this sentimental Bio-Journey have to do with your choice of a permanent address for eternity?"

Nothing. I only think it slightly possible that this "hallucination" or "sentimental bio journey" as you and googlefudge have called is a glimpse into what might happen when we die. By no means do I claim that this proves anything regarding afterlife ...[text shortened]... are giving here in this thread are bullcrap.

Oh well, we will just have to disagree.
    You're betting the house... on what?
  5. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    21 Dec '12 06:07
    Originally posted by Soothfast
    I've often wondered how those who go to Heaven are supposed to enjoy eternity knowing many loved ones are burning in Hell. Just envision that: up there in the clouds, picnicking with the omnipotent tyrant who has your wife suffering forever in a lake of fire.

You: "Say, I know ...[text shortened]... : "Okay. Just wanted to be sure."

Much as I try, I don't think I ever manage to phrase this fundamental problem with hell so eloquently as you have done here 🙂
  6. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    21 Dec '12 06:232 edits
    I've just spent a small part of my life reading this thread's five pages, and have come to the conclusion that atheists are more entertaining than non-atheists, except when they come into contact with same. It's a total waste of time trying to apply logic and reason to a person who is incapable of recognising those two items.

So, let's get back to the fun part: Reasons to become an atheist.

1. Extra two hours on Sunday! Church can sometimes interfere with your fun weekend.
    2. Less tedious reading material. More time for reading the funny and entertaining stuff.
    3. Any church service you go to, they will eventually ask you for money.
    4. Much less guilt. Religious people feel guilt all the time. They have these rules that say "no stealing, no killing, no unmarried fornication, no homosexual experimenting," then they break them and feel guilty. As an atheist, all you need are those basic rules that are built into your brain that tell you what is right and what is wrong.
    5. You get to be on the FUN side of some of the double standards! If you make fun of Christians, funny! If a Christian makes fun of you, suppression of a minority! It cannot be understated how awesome this double standard is. (Unless you live in the United States - the double standard is the opposite way round there.)

I'm sure the rest of you atheists can find things to add to this list. 🙂
  7. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    21 Dec '12 07:432 edits
    Originally posted by Kewpie

I've just spent a small part of my life reading this thread's five pages, and have come to the conclusion that atheists are more entertaining than non-atheists, except when they come into contact with same. It's a total waste of time trying to apply logic and reason to a person who is incapable of recognising those two items.

So, let's get back to the fu ay round there.)

Of the sixty six (66) posts to johnnywoody's thread yours, Kewpie, gets my vote as the most on topic and refreshing. Next on your list might be 6) "Your knees will thank you for not getting sore or injured from having to play a supporting role in your prayers; 7) You don't have to go around pretending you're good, when you and your dentist both already know that inside you're rotten; and 8) You can have more friends on internet forums".
    -
  8. SubscriberKewpie
    since 1-Feb-07
    Australia
    Moves
    21 Dec '12 07:58
    Your #7 is rubbish, and your #8 may or may not be true, I've never counted myself. I'd like to adopt your #6 though.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    21 Dec '12 09:21

Your #7 is rubbish, and your #8 may or may not be true, I've never counted myself. I'd like to adopt your #6 though.
    You're on a roll. Please don't stop now.
  10. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Dec '12 10:50

So, let's get back to the f ...[text shortened]... ound there.)

'9' - you get to be as a gay as a rainbow colored unicorn in high-heels and glitter, with a tutti-frutti flavored penis shaped horn, without being threatened with hell.
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    21 Dec '12 11:15
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    '9' - you get to be as a gay as a rainbow colored unicorn in high-heels and glitter, with a tutti-frutti flavored penis shaped horn, without being threatened with hell.
    You get to be a woman who is the equal of men.
  12. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    21 Dec '12 11:37
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You get to be a woman who is the equal of men.
    yeah... Much as religions frequently institutionalise sexism, people can be sexist even without religion.

The atheist/secular movement is currently waking up to (and starting to do something about)
    the fact that apparently giving up/never having religion is not a guarantee of not being a sexist ash**e.

So while it is true that atheism/secularism/humanism is not inherently or institutionally sexist, there are
    still plenty of people in those movements who are. (consciously or otherwise)

That said unlike most religions we have actually noticed this and are doing something about it...
    Messily and painfully but still recognizing that there is a problem and trying to solve it is a whole bunch
    of steps further on than where most religions are on the subject.
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    21 Dec '12 13:361 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse

Here is my problem with the Abrahemic religions: Lets back up a few centuries, say a few thou before the OT. Now, your god is supposed to be omniscient, right?
    So it allegedly knows every human, every animal, every vegetable on the planet from the time the Earth was born and will know all that till the time the Earth gets destroyed by whatever.

Now, here and gays.

That is plenty enough for me to be able to pronounce the entire edifice as man made.
    "Meanwhile, the rest of the human race, the 99% around the world, gets zero in the
    way of this incredible insight from this alleged god. Do you see my problem here?"

b) Again, No. God has revealed Himself to every generation; the Integrity of His Character
    demands it. How? By written and spoken word (through appointed leaders of assemblies;
    deputized missionaries; and individual believers throughout the pages of human history).

(to be continued)
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    21 Dec '12 13:431 edit
    Originally posted by Soothfast

You: "Say, I know
    You: "Okay. Just wanted to be sure."

Precisely and humorously written post which chooses to ignore the fact that loved ones and friends
    wern't in any way ever coerced. Sadly, even the hypothetical wife chose her own final destination.
    -
  15. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    21 Dec '12 13:531 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Precisely and humorously written post which chooses to ignore the fact that loved ones and friends
    wern't in any way ever coerced. Sadly, even the hypothetical wife chose her own final destination.
    -
    You are abominable.

You not only think your god is justified in torturing people for all eternity for not believing
    in or worshipping him (which is bad enough), but that people should be tortured for eternity
    for failing to worship a god for which THERE IS NO EVIDENCE FOR OR RATIONAL REASON
    TO BELIEVE IN

There is no possible way any loving decent person could enjoy heaven knowing that people
    they love are being tortured for all eternity for ANY REASON let alone one as pathetic as failing
    to worship a tyrant as petty and evil as your god when that god couldn't even be bothered to
    demonstrate it's own existence.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree