Atheists Haven (Not heaven).

Atheists Haven (Not heaven).

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
24 May 15

Originally posted by C Hess
You're conflating atheism with science. To be an atheist is to reject religious claims. That's all it is. That's all it ever will be. Try as you might to compare our lack of beliefs with your own delusional world views.
No, science doesn't meet that definition as far as I can tell, but Atheism does. Science does
not tell us how we should live, it doesn't give us rules for our lives. Atheist do tell us what
we should and should not do. The only thing I see here is yours and others attempt to hide
that Atheism does meet some standards we use to define religion, except without God or
gods.

Moves
25 May 15

Originally posted by KellyJay
Science does
not tell us how we should live, it doesn't give us rules for our lives. Atheist do tell us what
we should and should not do.
When you said atheists have stories about the origin of the universe and what not, we get those "stories" directly from science (and not every atheist, by virtue of being an atheist, necessarily believes in science). As for how we should live our lives, atheism can't inform such decisions, but every atheist decides for him-/herself how best to lead their lives, often influenced by other ideas. I lean towards a secular humanist perspective myself, and that (like science) has absolutely nothing to do with being an atheist.

I will say it again (correctly this time), atheism is all about not believing your god claims, that's all it is.

You're not attacking the atheist in me when you proclaim that science got it wrong about this or that. The atheist in me is completely unaffected when you proclaim that I do(n't) have a set of beliefs about morals and how best to live my life. There is no atheistic canon around which our lives must revolve. To call yourself an atheist, you don't have to accept anything as true. All you have to do is ask yourself if you truly believe a deity or deities exist. If the answer is no, then there you go, you're an atheist, whatever else you might also be.

Moves
25 May 15

Originally posted by Suzianne
No, your dog's understanding of God is innate. Therefore, he doesn't feel the need to bother you about it. 🙂
My dog will eat anything. (And i mean anything).

I don't think he would be so cavalier in his eating habits if he had an innate understanding of God.

Moves
25 May 15

When you said atheists have stories about the origin of the universe and what not, we get those "stories" directly from science (and not every atheist, by virtue of being an atheist, necessarily believes in science). As for how we should live our lives, atheism can't inform such decisions, but every atheist decides for him-/herself how best to lead their live ...[text shortened]... ist. If the answer is no, then there you go, you're an atheist, whatever else you might also be.
Excellent post.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
25 May 15

When you said atheists have stories about the origin of the universe and what not, we get those "stories" directly from science (and not every atheist, by virtue of being an atheist, necessarily believes in science). As for how we should live our lives, atheism can't inform such decisions, but every atheist decides for him-/herself how best to lead their live ...[text shortened]... ist. If the answer is no, then there you go, you're an atheist, whatever else you might also be.
Atheist have stories yes, are they the same for all, no. That is true of Theist as well.
You acknowledge you go to science for stories on origins, I agree more than a few
Atheist I have read and talked to all go to science, and many treat the stories they get
from there as if they were holy text, that should not be disrespected by lowering it to
something that must be believed, it is not faith I have been told!

Bottom line each of us are still accepting something as true we could be wrong about,
you are still just someone who thinks they know, because. You want to believe you have
something more than just faith just because you look at things in the here and now when
thinking about origins?

So must conclusions drawn from evidence about the distant past, be factual and true?
What if when we project what think things mean millions or billions of years in the
past, are we really dealing with knowledge and facts!? That is very arrogant, if you
cannot acknowledge you could be completely wrong, that is something! Yet, if you
do indeed acknowledge you could be wrong, even with evidence supporting your
views are you acknowledging you have to have beliefs, that you have faith in it are
you not?

Moves
25 May 15

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
Excellent post.
Thank you. 🙂

F

Moves
25 May 15

LOL, you are a piece of work, reject anything that does not promote your views.
I suppose you can feel secure in your thinking if never have to face what does not agree
with you.
Oh the irony.

Moves
25 May 15

Atheist have stories yes, are they the same for all, no. That is true of Theist as well.
You acknowledge you go to science for stories on origins, I agree more than a few
Atheist I have read and talked to all go to science, and many treat the stories they get
from there as if they were holy text, that should not be disrespected by lowering it to
somethi ...[text shortened]... r
views are you acknowledging you have to have beliefs, that you have faith in it are
you not?
Scientific theories are the exact opposite of religious dogma. The whole point of the scientific endevour is to reject poorly supported theories, while building on theories with good evidential support and predictive power. All you have to do to knock a theory over is study it, and the evidence for it, and provide either a better explanation, or evidence against it. Until you can do one of those, the theory stands. It's not sacred by any means, and has nothing to do with atheism.

The stories you believe as a theist however, is directly connected with your belief that one or more deities do exist. You couldn't be a christian if you were not also a theist, but you can still accept scientific theories, even if you're not an atheist. See the difference now?

rc

Moves
25 May 15

Scientific theories are the exact opposite of religious dogma. The whole point of the scientific endevour is to reject poorly supported theories, while building on theories with good evidential support and predictive power. All you have to do to knock a theory over is study it, and the evidence for it, and provide either a better explanation, or evidence agai ...[text shortened]... you can still accept scientific theories, even if you're not an atheist. See the difference now?
A yes the 'My God is better than your God' argument! All Hail the God of science.

Cape Town

Moves
25 May 15

Originally posted by FMF
Oh the irony.
Yes, they were interesting words coming from someone who refuses to talk to certain posters.

Moves
25 May 15

somethi ...[text shortened]... r
you not?

Theism isn't a religion either.

Christianity is a religion, Islam is a religion, Hinduism is a religion, theism is not a religion.

A theist is a person who believes in the existence of a god or gods.

I would say that this by definition makes them a religious person... BUT their religion is not
theism. What their religion is will depend on what god/s they believe in and which group goes
with that. If you believe in Jesus and the god of the bible then you are a Christian, that is your
religion, it's not theism.

Similarly, if you are an atheist Hindu or Buddhist, then your religion is Hinduism or Buddhism,
not atheism.

If you are an atheist Secular Humanist, then you don't have a religion, you have a secular non-religious
belief system.

Just as theists have many many different belief systems, so do atheists.

There is no 'atheist belief system' just as there is no 'theist belief system'.

Thus there is no 'theist religion' and no 'atheist religion'.

Cape Town

Moves
25 May 15

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
A yes the 'My God is better than your God' argument! All Hail the God of science.
No, its the 'science works' argument. No god required.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
25 May 15
1 edit

My dog will eat anything. (And i mean anything).

I don't think he would be so cavalier in his eating habits if he had an innate understanding of God.
As innate as his understanding of God is, he's still a dog. 🙂

There's a lesson there.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
25 May 15

Scientific theories are the exact opposite of religious dogma. The whole point of the scientific endevour is to reject poorly supported theories, while building on theories with good evidential support and predictive power. All you have to do to knock a theory over is study it, and the evidence for it, and provide either a better explanation, or evidence agai ...[text shortened]... you can still accept scientific theories, even if you're not an atheist. See the difference now?
You try to lump the long, long, ago fairy tale evolution story in with real scientific theories when it is nothing more than a religious myth. 😏

k
Howard

Moves
25 May 15
4 edits

[b]Difficult to post anything in the other spirituality threads at the moment. A lot of full gusto....
gusto?

Is this Ghost of Duke a Filipino?