1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 01:311 edit
    Do you believe that intelligent educated people in their right mind should believe as you believe?

I believe that people need not agree with me. I do not expect anyone who disagrees with my beliefs can be convinced to agree with my worldview. I believe all worldviews are rooted in assumptions that are simply believed without direct knowledge.

If you do not accept my assumptions, I do not feel the need to change your mind.

I suppose a secondary question would be if you think your belief defines reality or does reality exist outside your belief?
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 01:48
    Originally posted by @eladar
    I believe that people need not agree with me. I do not expect anyone who disagrees with my beliefs can be convinced to agree with my worldview. I believe all worldviews are rooted in assumptions that are simply believed without direct knowledge.
    Is this your stance as a Christian? If so, do you have any scriptural back-up for it?
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 01:501 edit
    If you do not accept my assumptions, I do not feel the need to change your mind.
    Is this attitude part of your god figure's scheme of "revelation" and "salvation" for human beings? Is Jesus "flowing out" of you ~ because you are a Christian ~ as sonship claims?
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 01:57
    Originally posted by @fmf
    Is this your stance as a Christian? If so, do you have any scriptural back-up for it?
    So you believe you are above actually answering the question of the thread.

But hey I knew this about you already. I suppose you have to be you. Never give and always take.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 02:03
    So you believe you are above actually answering the question of the thread.
    I am addressing one of the claims you made about yourself in your own OP. My question is absolutely on topic for this thread. If you don't want to answer it, that's OK.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 02:062 edits
    Do you believe that intelligent educated people in their right mind should believe as you believe?
    The terms "intelligent" and "educated" and "right mind" refer to variables and "people" refers to a group with almost boundless diversity. So I think someone believing that intelligent educated people in their right mind should necessarily believe the same things as they believe is the realm of childlike thinking, fanaticism, or a risible dearth of experience.
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 02:16
    The terms "intelligent" and "educated" and "right mind" refer to variables and "people" refers to a group with almost boundless diversity. So I think someone believing that intelligent educated people in their right mind should necessarily believe the same things as they believe is the realm of childlike thinking, fanaticism, or a risible dearth of experience.
    So I take it that you expect people to disagree with you.

Thanks, you came very close to answering the question.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 02:19
    So I take it that you expect people to disagree with you.
    Bears also poo in the woods, just so you know.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 02:20
    Thanks, you came very close to answering the question.
    Does your OP reflect your worldview and obligations as a Christian?

If so, do you have any scriptural back-up for it?
  10. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 03:48

If you do ...[text shortened]... ion would be if you think your belief defines reality or does reality exist outside your belief?
    Q1: It depends on the belief. It's important that people agree with me that rape is wrong. It's much less important that they share my belief that there aren't any gods.

Q2: Reality exists outside my beliefs. If I discover my beliefs don't match reality, my beliefs change.
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 04:19
    Does your OP reflect your worldview and obligations as a Christian?

If so, do you have any scriptural back-up for it?
    Romans 14
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 04:20
    Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
    Q1: It depends on the belief. It's important that people agree with me that rape is wrong. It's much less important that they share my belief that there aren't any gods.

Q2: Reality exists outside my beliefs. If I discover my beliefs don't match reality, my beliefs change.
    Q2

Do you believe you can ever know actual truth or just a hunch?
  13. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 05:27
    Q2

Do you believe you can ever know actual truth or just a hunch?
    I think it's sometimes possible to know the actual truth. The most obvious example is a mathematical proof of a theorem.

I don't think knowledge requires 100% certainty. I think a strong inductive belief can constitute "knowledge".
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 09:16
    FMF: Does your OP reflect your worldview and obligations as a Christian? If so, do you have any scriptural back-up for it?

Romans 14
    Romans 14 appears to appears to be about squabbles between Christians ~ about things like dietary rules. Was your OP only about such squabbles between Christians? It didn't read like that. Is there some other passage from the Bible you have that supports your OP?
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Dec '17 17:44
    Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
    I think it's sometimes possible to know the actual truth. The most obvious example is a mathematical proof of a theorem.

I don't think knowledge requires 100% certainty. I think a strong inductive belief can constitute "knowledge".
    I mean know the truth about things like God and the afterlife.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree