1. PenTesting
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 16:321 edit
    Can a knowledgeable Christian provide some pointers concerning this ?
    If one confesses with the mouth and believes in ones heart,
    what does this belief in ones heart all about?

What is the Christian supposed to do, think, act ... anything?
    Brief details with some Bible references would be ideal.
    I got the mjouth part. Im interested in the heart aspect of the statement

Sonship please dont clog up the thread with your ridiculously long nonsensidal monologues.
    Romans1009 I heard your answer in another thread... thanks
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 18:20
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    what does this [b] belief in ones heart all about
    ?

I got the mjouth part. Im interested in the h ...[text shortened]... ulously long nonsensidal monologues.
    Romans1009 I heard your answer in another thread... thanks[/b]
    Is this thread about us all pretending we don’t know what the heart symbolises the dozens and dozens of times it’s used in the Bible to convey something?
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 18:24
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Is this thread about us all pretending we don’t know what the heart symbolises the dozens and dozens of times it’s used in the Bible to convey something?
    I asked Romans1009 and his answer was not satisfactory. So I want to see what others say.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 18:37
    I asked Romans1009 and his answer was not satisfactory. So I want to see what others say.
    What do you think the heart symbolises when used in scriptures such as:

The fool says in his heart - there is no god

The heart of the fool is bound up with folly

The heart Is deceitful above all things an beyond cure

Then the LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great on the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

The heart is more deceitful than all else And is desperately sick; Who can understand it?

Yet they did not obey or incline their ear, but walked in their own counsels and in the stubbornness of their evil heart, and went backward and not forward.

But the things that proceed out of the mouth come from the heart, and those defile the man

The LORD saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time.

I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh

As Solomon grew old, his wives turned his heart after other gods, and his heart was not fully devoted to the LORD his God, as the heart of David his father had

A happy heart makes the face cheerful, but heartache crushes the spirit.A glad heart makes a happy face; a broken heart crushes the spirit.

My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.My heart is confident in you, O God; my heart is confident.

And two of my favoured:

Every man's way is right in his own eyes, But the LORD weighs the heart.

And yes Romans 10:9
    If you believe with your heart and confess with your mouth, that Jesus Christ is Lord, you will be saved.

There are dozens and dozens of others. It seem odd that someone of your intelligence and insight cannot fathom the meaning.
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 18:371 edit
    what does this [b] belief in ones heart all about
    ?

I got the mjouth part. Im interested in the h ...[text shortened]... ulously long nonsensidal monologues.
    Romans1009 I heard your answer in another thread... thanks[/b]
    Hard to imagine that Romans1009's answer didn't fall well short of the following:

Luke
    43“For there is no good tree which produces bad fruit, nor, on the other hand, a bad tree which produces good fruit. 44“For each tree is known by its own fruit. For men do not gather figs from thorns, nor do they pick grapes from a briar bush. 45“The good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth what is good; and the evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth what is evil; for his mouth speaks from that which fills his heart.

Clearly a good man with the good treasure of his heart would always bring forth what is good and never bring forth what is evil. In short, he would not commit sin.
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 18:393 edits
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 18:46
    What do you think the heart symbolises when used in scriptures such as:

The fool says in his heart - there is no god

The heart of the fool is bound up with folly

The heart Is deceitful above all things an beyond cure

Then the LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great on the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was o ...[text shortened]... of others. It seem odd that someone of your intelligence and insight cannot fathom the meaning.
    Thanks you answered the question well. It's hard to imagine you are not seeing why I asked the question...
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 19:02
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    Hard to imagine that Romans1009's answer didn't fall well short of the following:

Luke
    43“For there is no good tree which produces bad fruit, nor, on the other hand, a bad tree which produces good fruit. 44“For each tree is known by its own fruit. For men do not gather figs from thorns, nor do they pick grapes from a briar bush. 45“The good man out o ...[text shortened]... bring forth what is good and never bring forth what is evil. In short, he would not commit sin.
    That's a good passage. Thanks
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 19:052 edits
    That's a good passage. Thanks
    Jesus certainly had a lot of them. It's unfortunate that the vast majority of Christians don't take His word to heart - they don't believe Him.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 19:19
    It's unfortunate that the vast majority of Christians don't take His word to heart - they don't believe Him.
    Why is it "unfortunate"?
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 19:20
    Thanks you answered the question well. It's hard to imagine you are not seeing why I asked the question...
    No probs my friend.

I know why you are asking the question, of course.
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 19:453 edits
    Why is it "unfortunate"?
    Because by and large, the words attributed to Jesus while He walked the Earth are reasonably sound and reasonably coherent within themselves. What's more, much of what was attributed to Him is remarkably deep and quite profound. By and large, the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry is Truth.

This is not true of the mythology and beliefs that the NT writers wrapped around them. At best, they merely echo His words. At worst, they deviate from His words and at times substantially so.

Many of the beliefs espoused by many Christians are antithetical to the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 19:45
    I suspect this is why you’re asking the question and why you focus so much on good works and dismiss that God’s Holy Spirit indwells a believer and leads him or her:

“But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.“

(1 Corinthians 2:14)

In short, you’re carnally minded and you’re not the only one. I don’t know the remedy other than praying to God to accept Christ into your heart and for God to give you His Holy Spirit. If that sounds like foolishness to you, re-read 1 Corinthians 2:14.

God is a Spirit and you have to relate to Him on a spiritual level.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 20:48
    “God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

The woman saith unto him, I know that Messias cometh, which is called Christ: when he is come, he will tell us all things.

Jesus saith unto her, I that speak unto thee am he.”

(John 4:24-26)
  15. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 21:37
    Because by and large, the words attributed to Jesus while He walked the Earth are reasonably sound and reasonably coherent within themselves. What's more, much of what was attributed to Him is remarkably deep and quite profound. By and large, the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry is Truth.

This is not true of the mythology and beliefs tha ...[text shortened]... spoused by many Christians are antithetical to the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry.
    Are you spiritually comfortable with 'by and large?' (You say it twice).

Personally, If I wasn't 'completely' convinced I had located 'truth,' I would keep looking. (I do agree however that the words attributed to Jesus are quite profound).

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree