1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 04:37
    Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
    Well, a confident person might answer such a question for several reasons: the hit they would take is minor, or they believe that they ought to answer questions about their own thinking when they constantly ask them of others, or they believe in fair and honest debate in general.

On the other hand, a paranoid person perceives loading in any question that is personal.
    Confidence : That which is perceived from the outside .

Paranoia : That which any intelligent person recognizes without letting it rule them
  2. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 04:422 edits
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    One needs to decide whether or not one believes the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry. I fully understand the you believe a different gospel.
    '“If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, 'Be uprooted and planted in the sea,' and it will obey you.”' (Luke 17:6).

I take it you interpret this to mean faith is not really important?

I'm also guessing you have no idea how many times Jesus told someone that their faith had saved/healed them?
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 09:151 edit
    What are you on about?
    Er, asking you a question.

Edit: I'll simplify:

You said 'by and large' the words attributed to Jesus were reasonably sound and that 'by and large' what he preached was truth. I'm asking if 'by and large' is enough for you?

It wouldn't be for me.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 10:06
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    You brought up the “good news”, I’m asking you what “good news” you are referring to?
    Bump for thinkofone...
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 10:06
    And this needs answering too...

Why is it according to you “unfortunate that a Christian doesn’t take Christ’s words to heart”? What does it matter?
    Bump for thinkofone...
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 11:43
    One needs to decide whether or not one believes the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry. I fully understand the you believe a different gospel.
    The only thing people need to wonder is why do people claiming that "real" Christians never sin never want to talk about their own supposedly "sinless" life?
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 12:252 edits
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Er, asking you a question.

Edit: I'll simplify:

You said 'by and large' the words attributed to Jesus were reasonably sound and that 'by and large' what he preached was truth. I'm asking if 'by and large' is enough for you?

It wouldn't be for me.
    I understood the question. I understood that it wouldn't be good enough for you.

Here I was hoping that perhaps there was a deeper underlying point to your vacuous post, so I invited you to to get to that point.

Evidently your only point is that it wouldn't be good enough for you, since you didn't elaborate and merely repeated what you'd written before.

I guess it's interesting that it wouldn't be good enough for you. Thanks for sharing.

As to the question I'm sure that if you really put your mind to it, you can figure out my answer.
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 12:341 edit
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    The only thing people need to wonder is why do people claiming that "real" Christians never sin never want to talk about their own supposedly "sinless" life?
    Yet the same old ad hom as a way of avoiding actually addressing the issue. You've been called out on this many times before by both rajk999 and me. I know you're intelligent enough to understand what an ad hom is and why it is fallacious.
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 12:37
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    '“If you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, 'Be uprooted and planted in the sea,' and it will obey you.”' (Luke 17:6).

I take it you interpret this to mean faith is not really important?

I'm also guessing you have no idea how many times Jesus told someone that their faith had saved/healed them?
    It's really interesting how FMJ, you and Romans1009 all so consistently jump to very similar, very illogical conclusions. If you aren't all the same person, you might as well be.
  10. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 12:52
    I understood the question. I understood that it wouldn't be good enough for you.

Here I was hoping that perhaps there was a deeper underlying point to your vacuous post, so I invited you to to get to that point.

Evidently your only point is that it wouldn't be good enough for you, since you didn't elaborate and merely repeated what you'd written be ...[text shortened]... s to the question I'm sure that if you really put your mind to it, you can figure out my answer.
    If we were talking about buying a pair of curtains, and found a pair that 'by and large' were what I was looking for, I would happily hang them in my living room. (I could live with them not being completely what I wanted). But we are 'not' talking about a pair of curtains, we're talking about something that I presume is fundamentally important to your existence and spiritual outlook. 'By and large' you find the message from Jesus plausible.

Although I often agree with things you post, as likewise recognize the glaring contradictions, corruptions, and inconsistencies in the Bible as a whole, it is a massive weakness in your position that you maintain the argument that somehow (magically) the words of Jesus are (by and large) not similarly corrupt and unreliable. Great, you find the words recorded profound. But that alone doesn't get us very far.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 12:56
    Oh dear, I think I broke Thinkofone..
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 12:572 edits
    If we were talking about buying a pair of curtains, and found a pair that 'by and large' were what I was looking for, I would happily hang them in my living room. (I could live with them not being completely what I wanted). But we are 'not' talking about a pair of curtains, we're talking about something that I presume is fundamentally important to y ...[text shortened]... unreliable. Great, you find the words recorded profound. But that alone doesn't get us very far.
    Compare and contrast what you've written here with what I actually wrote. Take the time to have a think on it.

If you need a hint, let me know.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 13:00
    Oh dear, I think I broke Thinkofone..
    Measured, pegged and card marked.
  14. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 13:09
    Compare and contrast what you've written here with what I actually wrote. Take the time to have a think on it.

If you need a hint, let me know.
    I'll take the hint, or better yet a genuine attempt to answer the question. (Which you never do when asked why the words of Jesus are somehow immune from the corruptions you happily identify in the rest of the Bible).
  15. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 13:21
    I'll take the hint, or better yet a genuine attempt to answer the question. (Which you never do when asked why the words of Jesus are somehow immune from the corruptions you happily identify in the rest of the Bible).
    Evidently you're not very big on taking the time to think.

This hint may be too oblique for you, but it'll be interesting to give it a go. Read the following. What do you make of it? Compare and contrast what you make of it and what you make of what I'd written earlier.

<<Because by and large, the words attributed to Einstein are reasonably sound and reasonably coherent within themselves. What's more, much of what was attributed to him is remarkably deep and quite profound. By and large, the words attributed to Einstein are Truth.>>

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree