1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 22:20
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    Are you spiritually comfortable with 'by and large?' (You say it twice).

Personally, If I wasn't 'completely' convinced I had located 'truth,' I would keep looking. (I do agree however that the words attributed to Jesus are quite profound).
    What are you on about?
  2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 22:32
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    Hard to imagine that Romans1009's answer didn't fall well short of the following:

Luke
    43“For there is no good tree which produces bad fruit, nor, on the other hand, a bad tree which produces good fruit. 44“For each tree is known by its own fruit. For men do not gather figs from thorns, nor do they pick grapes from a briar bush. 45“The good man out o ...[text shortened]... bring forth what is good and never bring forth what is evil. In short, he would not commit sin.
    Given the expansive list of sins in the Bible, I do not think it's humanly possible to never sin.

Seeking perfection is a trap. Once the inevitable failure comes, it leads many into defeatist behavior that is worse than would have happened if they had simply strived to be more good more often.
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 22:38
    Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
    Given the expansive list of sins in the Bible, I do not think it's humanly possible to never sin.

Seeking perfection is a trap. Once the inevitable failure comes, it leads many into defeatist behavior that is worse than would have happened if they had simply strived to be more good more often.
    Evidently you don't believe Jesus either.

Not sure about your logic. How is believing that it's not "humanly possible to never sin" not even more defeatist?
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 22:50

Not sure about your logic. How is believing that it's not "humanly possible to never sin" not even more defeatist?
    The purpose of the law was to show man his need for a Saviour, and those who have accepted Christ are no longer under the law.

“But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.

Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.“

(Galatians 3:23-26)

The idea that God expects men and women to never sin completely nullifies the reason for Jesus Christ’s crucifixion.

And remember Jesus Christ said being angry with someone is a sin and looking on a woman with lust is a sin.

Do you really think a person who accepts Christ at 20 and dies at 80 could have lived 60 years without committing a single sin?
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 23:061 edit
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    The purpose of the law was to show man his need for a Saviour, and those who have accepted Christ are no longer under the law.

“But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.

Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

But aft ...[text shortened]... o accepts Christ at 20 and dies at 80 could have lived 60 years without committing a single sin?
    One needs to decide whether or not one believes the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry. I fully understand the you believe a different gospel.
  6. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 23:15

it is less defeatist because meeting an attainable goal is more fulfilling than failing to meet an unattainable one.
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 23:37
    it is less defeatist because meeting an attainable goal is more fulfilling than failing to meet an unattainable one.
    I guess this one depends on what one deems to be the ultimate goal. I was thinking in terms of the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry. Evidently you were thinking in different terms.

It's interesting how important feeling fulfilled is to a lot of people. From what I can tell, so important that they set goals in terms of being able to feel it.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 23:43
    One needs to decide whether or not one believes the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry. I fully understand the you believe a different gospel.
    I don’t think you properly understand what Jesus Christ taught and why He came to earth in bodily form. You have said Jesus did not refer to Himself as God when in fact He did several times and was crucified for that very reason. You have said Jesus Christ did not reference His death as a sacrifice for sins when He did do that and also spoke of His Resurrection. You have said Jesus Christ did not speak of the Holy Spirit when He did and in fact gave the Holy Spirit to His disciples.

You apparently think Jesus was just a man who had a profound message and totally neglect that, in addition to having a profound message, He was God in the flesh, performed miracles and healings and raised three people from the dead to demonstrate His divinity and willingly allowed Himself to be sacrificed to atone for the sins of mankind. You only see one aspect of Jesus and miss the much bigger and much more important picture.
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 23:44
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    Can a knowledgeable Christian provide some pointers concerning this ?
    If one confesses with the mouth and believes in ones heart,
    what does this [b] belief in ones heart all about
    ?

What is the Christian supposed to do, think, act ... anything?
    Brief details with some Bible references would be ideal.
    I got the mjouth part. Im interested in the h ...[text shortened]... ulously long nonsensidal monologues.
    Romans1009 I heard your answer in another thread... thanks[/b]
    Its about integration . The tin man needed a heart .
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 23:46
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    What do you think the heart symbolises when used in scriptures such as:

The fool says in his heart - there is no god

The heart of the fool is bound up with folly

The heart Is deceitful above all things an beyond cure

Then the LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great on the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was o ...[text shortened]... of others. It seem odd that someone of your intelligence and insight cannot fathom the meaning.
    Foolishness and gullibility aren't necessarily bad traits for the righteous
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 23:57
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    I don’t think you properly understand what Jesus Christ taught and why He came to earth in bodily form. You have said Jesus did not refer to Himself as God when in fact He did several times and was crucified for that very reason. You have said Jesus Christ did not reference His death as a sacrifice for sins when He did do that and also spoke of His Resur ...[text shortened]... kind. You only see one aspect of Jesus and miss the much bigger and much more important picture.
    What you seem to fail to realize is that it is you who don't understand the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry.
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    17 Feb '18 23:59
    Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
    Its about integration . The tin man needed a heart .
    Harold Arlen and Yip Harburg.
  13. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 00:01
    I guess this one depends on what one deems to be the ultimate goal. I was thinking in terms of the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry. Evidently you were thinking in different terms.

It's interesting how important feeling fulfilled is to a lot of people. From what I can tell, so important that they set goals in terms of being able to feel it.
    Do you not find it fulfilling to emulate Jesus and follow his teachings? If you do, welcome to the club.
  14. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 00:05
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    Can a knowledgeable Christian provide some pointers concerning this ?
    If one confesses with the mouth and believes in ones heart,
    what does this [b] belief in ones heart all about
    ?

What is the Christian supposed to do, think, act ... anything?
    Brief details with some Bible references would be ideal.
    I got the mjouth part. Im interested in the h ...[text shortened]... ulously long nonsensidal monologues.
    Romans1009 I heard your answer in another thread... thanks[/b]
    The heart of the matter is the matter of the heart.

Concider Matthew 5:27-30
    Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
    But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
    And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
    And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

Pluck out your eye and cut off your hand, and if you think that will change the heart you are mistaken. That's what Jesus was talking about.
  15. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    18 Feb '18 00:05
    Do you not find it fulfilling to emulate Jesus and follow his teachings? If you do, welcome to the club.
    Evidently feeling fulfilled is very important to you. The gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry is not about feeling fulfilled.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree