1. St. Peter's
    Joined
    06 Dec '10
    Moves
    11308
    12 May '11 23:30
    Belief is not the same as faith, at least that's how I see it. Many people believe in this or that, yet they lack the will, desire or faith to act upon those beliefs. To get specific I largely mean Christians. Many here profess belief, but do they follow Christ? And I don't mean there very narrow view, but truly follow Christ? Are they people of faith. When Christ would "heal" people he alsways said "your faith has made you whole" he never said I have made you whole. There is an awesome power in acting on faith, yet people seldom seem inclined to do so.

    thoughts?
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91563
    12 May '11 23:37
    Exercising faith seems to be a problem with modern day people because they believe in the wrong things all to often.
  3. St. Peter's
    Joined
    06 Dec '10
    Moves
    11308
    12 May '11 23:39
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Exercising faith seems to be a problem with modern day people because they believe in the wrong things all to often.
    the problem seems to be that we point fingers and say things like "you have to believe what i believe" instead of concentrating on faith and acting upon it.
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91563
    12 May '11 23:49
    Originally posted by Doward
    the problem seems to be that we point fingers and say things like "you have to believe what i believe" instead of concentrating on faith and acting upon it.
    I agree, but faith in what? I have faith in my experiences as they relate to me but when I try to communicate this to others thats where the problems start.

    What do you put your faith into?
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Joined
    08 Aug '03
    Moves
    35519
    13 May '11 00:16
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I agree, but faith in what? I have faith in my experiences as they relate to me but when I try to communicate this to others thats where the problems start.

    What do you put your faith into?
    Describing faith for those that do not believe in God is rather like describing an Arizona sunset to a blind person.
  6. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Joined
    24 May '04
    Moves
    148423
    13 May '11 00:28
    Originally posted by Doward
    Belief is not the same as faith, at least that's how I see it. Many people believe in this or that, yet they lack the will, desire or faith to act upon those beliefs. To get specific I largely mean Christians. Many here profess belief, but do they follow Christ? And I don't mean there very narrow view, but truly follow Christ? Are they people of faith. When C ...[text shortened]... n awesome power in acting on faith, yet people seldom seem inclined to do so.

    thoughts?
    Good point, you can believe something, but faith is walking it out.
    Kelly
  7. St. Peter's
    Joined
    06 Dec '10
    Moves
    11308
    13 May '11 00:46
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Good point, you can believe something, but faith is walking it out.
    Kelly
    exactly. I believe faith is a proactive position. Many churches have creeds and statements of beliefs, but are lacking in the faith department.
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91563
    13 May '11 00:50
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Describing faith for those that do not believe in God is rather like describing an Arizona sunset to a blind person.
    Nevertheless a good teacher should be able to teach spirituality to even a blind person.
    If god is real then people will find 'it' sooner or later. (there are so many variables in that last sentence ,that depending on your answer, I may bail out of this altogether)
  9. St. Peter's
    Joined
    06 Dec '10
    Moves
    11308
    13 May '11 00:54
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Nevertheless a good teacher should be able to teach spirituality to even a blind person.
    If god is real then people will find 'it' sooner or later. (there are so many variables in that last sentence ,that depending on your answer, I may bail out of this altogether)
    faith in itself is blind. It is the knowing in your "heart" against any evidence.
  10. Melbourne, Australia
    Joined
    17 Feb '04
    Moves
    49977
    13 May '11 01:30
    Originally posted by Doward
    faith in itself is blind. It is the knowing in your "heart" against any evidence.
    The final cop out for the religious - there's no proof, but I believe it in my heart.
  11. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Joined
    21 Aug '06
    Moves
    11458
    13 May '11 03:294 edits
    Originally posted by Doward
    Belief is not the same as faith, at least that's how I see it. Many people believe in this or that, yet they lack the will, desire or faith to act upon those beliefs. To get specific I largely mean Christians. Many here profess belief, but do they follow Christ? And I don't mean there very narrow view, but truly follow Christ? Are they people of faith. When C n awesome power in acting on faith, yet people seldom seem inclined to do so.

    thoughts?
    As for my take on belief vs faith, there are things I believe to be true which I don't actually `know' to be factual - but I could go away and check if suspicion got the better of me. Faith on the other hand seems a bit like saying 171,727,482,883 is primeReveal Hidden Content
    it isn\'t! change the last digit to a 1
    for no reason other than...well...it looks prime doesn't it!?
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Joined
    24 May '04
    Moves
    148423
    13 May '11 06:441 edit
    Originally posted by amannion
    The final cop out for the religious - there's no proof, but I believe it in my heart.
    Why would you need faith if you had proof?
    Kelly
  13. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    13 May '11 07:381 edit
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Why would you need faith if you had proof?
    Kelly
    because that is what faith is based upon, its not blind as has been erroneously
    assumed, its based upon reason, an evident demonstration of reality, although not
    yet beheld.

    (Hebrews 11:1) . . .Faith is the assured expectation of things hoped for, the
    evident
    demonstration of realities though not beheld. . .

    Thus as the Bible writer states, faith is based upon certain evidences, which
    demonstrate a reality, although at present, are not fully manifest.
  14. St. Peter's
    Joined
    06 Dec '10
    Moves
    11308
    13 May '11 12:32
    Originally posted by amannion
    The final cop out for the religious - there's no proof, but I believe it in my heart.
    not a copout. There is no attempt to "prove" anything in this thread. It is a discussion for people who believe. if you want to participate great, if you want a pissing match about whether God exists start your own thread
  15. Joined
    27 Sep '06
    Moves
    9651
    13 May '11 12:40
    Originally posted by Doward
    Belief is not the same as faith, at least that's how I see it. Many people believe in this or that, yet they lack the will, desire or faith to act upon those beliefs. To get specific I largely mean Christians. Many here profess belief, but do they follow Christ? And I don't mean there very narrow view, but truly follow Christ? Are they people of faith. When C ...[text shortened]... n awesome power in acting on faith, yet people seldom seem inclined to do so.

    thoughts?
    Hebrews 11:6a - But without faith it is impossible to please him:

    Faith always has an object. How can faith be blind if it has an object? Faith is a little understood concept, and sadly, little used.


    Colossians 2:6 - As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him:

    How do we receive Christ? By faith. So is the walk. It is not blind!
Back to Top