born again christian

born again christian

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

j

Moves
19 Jul 12
3 edits

The poster asks:

Occult practices aside, do you believe that the Bible condemns such fictional films?

Not directly does any Mosiac law condemn a motion picture.

Does the Bible offer any helpful guidance to the Christian on entertainment ABOUT things condemned by the Mosiac law ? Yes, with the wisdom of the Holy Spirit to be considered along with the letter of the Scripture:

Since some readers want an answer in 25 words of less, the rest of this post will be for people who are not fatigued to arrive at some truth. The rest can go away.

Galatians , a New Testament book completely involved with Christians learning to "walk by the Spirit" ie. learn to walk step by step, abiding in the sphere and realm of the available indwelling Jesus Christ, helps.

"But I say, Walk by the Spirit and you shall by no means fulfill the lust of the flesh." (Gal. 5:16)

The disciple of Christ must learn to take this step in life, by the Holy Spirit, to take the next step, by the Holy Spirit, and to take step after step, by the Holy Spirit who has been dispensed into them.

In conjunction with the indwelling Holy Spirit, there is the helpful guidance of the letter of the Bible -

"Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are such things as -

fornication, uncleaness, lasciviousness, idolatry, *** SORCERY ***, enmities, strife, jeaslousy, outbursts of anger, factions, etc. etc. ... and things like these, of which I tell you beforehand, even as I have said before, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, etc. etc. ... against such things there is no law. ... If we live by the Spirit let us also walk by the Spirit." (see all verses Gal. 5:19-25)

Some points

1.) It is IMPOSSIBLE for the Bible to enumerate everything negative the Christian should consider the work of the fallen sinful flesh. Therefore, the apostles adds the words - " SUCH THINGS " - meaning his little list is not exhaustive. The Holy Spirit grants wisdom concerning what OTHER "SUCH THINGS" (v.21) might be harmful.

2.) It is also impossible for the Bible to mention ALL the positive attributes derived from walking according to the Holy Spirit. Therefore the apostles writes "SUCH THINGS" (v.23) which also are commendable behavior. This means his list is not exhaustive.

3.) "Sorcery" is obviously mentioned as one of the negative works of the flesh for the Christian to NOT walk in.

4.) The flexibility of the passages demonstrates that maturity, discernment, and moment by moment wisdom of the Holy Spirit is needed. This is not a computer program of rigid legalism.

How much sorcery is sorcery ?
Is participating in a modern seance sorcery ?
Is going to a modern movie steeped in sorcery, sorcery ?

There is some room for prayer and decision making. There is no explicit condemnation of something Paul knew nothing about - the modern Motion Picture. So of course we cannot say the Bible explicitly condemns any Motion Picture.

However, "Sorcery" is still a work of the flesh. And the disciple for him or herself, and for the sake of children, should discern by the Scripture and the indwelling Holy Spirit, whether an activity is helpful or harmful.

Paul latter says in the First Corinthians 10:23 - "All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable, all things are lawful, but not all things build up."

In other words the apostle doesn't want Christians to be caught up in rigid ascetecism and miss abiding in the living and available Christ. He does not want Christians living only be "Don't touch. Don't look at. Don't go there or here" and miss walking in the Holy Spirit - abiding in the indwelling Christ.

So, there is room for reasonable discernment in the Holy Spirit - "What activity is building up to my faith ? What activity will be building up to the faith of the children God has given me ?"

And in considering that one has a right to do this or that, will it be helpful or hurtful to his Christian growth ?

And in that light, knowing that sorcery is definitely listed as a work of the flesh, the Christian parent may seek with wisdom, to steer a child away from that which would fuel curiosity, envy, emulation, imitation, about "sorcery" - ie. going too many Harry Potter movies.

Paul's way leaves from for flexible discernment. The Holy Spirit is gentle. And growing in spirituality is a matter of process, maturing, and encreasing in discernment.

No, the Bible does not explicitly condemn Grimm's Fairy Tales, Star Wars movies, Superman, Harry Potter, Merlin the Magician, I Dream of Genie, Macbeth or any number of entertainments which invole sorcery or occult themes.

To "walk by the Spirit" and to have a list of "such things" is enough that the Christian can discern what God would have them do in a case by case basis. And where I meet, we are not going to kick you out of the congregation because you took your kids to a Harry Potter movie.

I did not like my kids to participate in Holloween. I did not shone other Christians who may HAVE allowed their kids to participate in Holloween. We don't take a pole. We learn to walk by the Holy Spirit and feed our faith with the word of God and grow.

F

Moves
19 Jul 12

Originally posted by jaywill
The poster asks:...
"The poster asks:...". Which poster?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
19 Jul 12

Originally posted by FMF
I am not "twisting [your] words". You said "I'm not saying all that watch these things are bad, not by any means, but it's easy for them to be misdirected from wanting to know God and the spiritual aspect of him." Doesn't sound like you think it's a big problem. And yet at the same time you seem to be asserting that it's condemned by the Bible. It doesn't add up. You are not being "very clear" at all.
Geeeez. Lol. What exactly is it you don't understand? I never said what you think I said. I said that all that watch these movies are not bad kids.
But the possiblity to be influnaced by them and to be misdirected from wanting to learn about God is put before them by these movies.
The Bible is crystal clear that God does not approve of those things in these movies.
Sooooooooooo if one watched these movies and became interested in those things as many do, it will distract them from pursuing an interest in God.
Does that make any sence to you?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
19 Jul 12

The poster asks:

Occult practices aside, do you believe that the Bible condemns such fictional films?

Not directly does any Mosiac law condemn a motion picture.

Does the Bible offer any helpful guidance to the Christian on etertainment ABOUT things condemned by the Mosiac law ? Yes, with the wisdom of the Holy Spirit to be con ...[text shortened]... Holy Spirit and feed our faith with the word of God and grow.
Good stuff....

j

Moves
19 Jul 12

Originally posted by FMF
"The poster asks:...". Which poster?
It doesn't matter.

Now you said you get nearly nothing from my writing. So you are not being addressed. However, its a public discussion and the question is a fair one.

Someone might derive some benefit from what I wrote.

F

Moves
19 Jul 12
1 edit

Originally posted by galveston75
Geeeez. Lol. What exactly is it you don't understand? I never said what you think I said. I said that all that watch these movies are not bad kids.
But the possiblity to be influnaced by them and to be misdirected from wanting to learn about God is put before them by these movies.
The Bible is crystal clear that God does not approve of those things ...[text shortened]... do, it will distract them from pursuing an interest in God.
Does that make any sence to you?
Do you think the Bible condemns that kind of film and condemns people watching them? You seem to be saying that those who "watch these movies are not bad" and that there is only "the possiblity to be influenced by them" but this does not square with your simultaneous assertion - and robbie's - that the Bible "condemns" such stuff.

j

Moves
19 Jul 12
1 edit

Good stuff....
Thanks galveston.

There are some exhortations, of course, in the New Testament. But there is no getting around the need to learn that Christ is alive, available, and living IN the Christian.

With the Scripture to sensatize our conscience we disciples have to learn to walk, step by step abiding in this Person.

F

Moves
19 Jul 12
1 edit

Now you said you get nearly nothing from my writing.
Did I? I thought I said I have been unconvinced by long posts defending things like the cherry picking of Deuteronomy. How can you equate being 'unconvinced' with 'getting nearly nothing'? You are misrepresenting me.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
19 Jul 12

Thanks galveston.

There are some exhortation in the New Testament. But there is no getting around the need to learn that Christ is alive, available, and living IN the Christian.

With the Scripture to sensatize our conscience we disciples have to learn to walk, step by step abiding in this Person.
And the Bible says "not to even touch the unclean things" that God disapproves of.
We know that to mean have "nothing" to do with such things.

j

Moves
19 Jul 12

Originally posted by FMF
Did I? I thought I said I have been unconvinced by long posts defending things like the cherry picking of Deuteronomy. How can you equate being 'unconvinced' with 'getting nearly nothing'? You are misrepresenting me.
Am I ? I'm Sorry.

You said don't reply for your sake. So I replied not for your sake. But I gave some discussion on it.

F

Moves
19 Jul 12

And the Bible says "not to even touch the unclean things" that God disapproves of.
We know that to mean have "nothing" to do with such things.
On another thread, yesterday, another JW said that entering a church would be "out of the question" as "Christians are counselled" not to enter them. Is this another valid working example of "not to even touch the unclean things" in your view?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
19 Jul 12

Originally posted by FMF
Do you think the Bible condemns that kind of film and condemns people watching them? You seem to be saying that those who "watch these movies are not bad" and that there is only "the possiblity to be influenced by them" but this does not square with your simultaneous assertion - and robbie's - that the Bible "condemns" such stuff.
Yes, God does not approve of "associating" with ones that practice such things, so why would he approve of watching such things?

Again I said ones who watch such things are not all bad. But it can lead them to ignoring God's ways and possibly aquiring an actual interest or more of such things. Does that not make sence to you at all? You really don't get the point?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
19 Jul 12

Originally posted by FMF
On another thread, yesterday, another JW said that entering a church would be "out of the question" as "Christians are counselled" not to enter them. Is this another valid working example of "not to even touch the unclean things" in your view?
Pretty much.....

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
19 Jul 12
1 edit

Good nite all.....

F

Moves
19 Jul 12

Again I said ones who watch such things are not all bad. But it can lead them to ignoring God's ways and possibly aquiring an actual interest or more of such things. Does that not make sence to you at all? You really don't get the point?
Not really. Not if at the same time you are asserting that it is specifically condemned by scripture and you are exhorting people "not to even touch the unclean things" in the context of the discussion of this film.