1. weedhopper
    Moves
    11 Jul '08 16:28
    Originally posted by duecer
    why bother? she cherry picks scripture to fit a preconcieved view point.e.g. the world is a horrible place, and special people like here are in God's favor...Calvinism at its worst
    I thought it was the Pentecostals who were the ones who thought we could achieve perfection. Is it Clavinists also?
  2. SEMO
    Moves
    11 Jul '08 17:00
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    1 Cor 6. You are not a saint. Paul was telling the Corinthian brethren that they should judge EACH OTHER WITHIN THE CHURCH. It was because of the situation of one member having sex with his fathers wife and nobody said anything. In that case when you are intimately familiar with people in your church you should do something when things go wrong.

To use that to mean you can judge all the churches around you is ridiculous.
    Did you know that the Chruch is the body of believers and not a building? You are not only a believer why you are in the 'church' but also out side of the 'church'.

And like I said, I judge what the leaders on what they are teaching, not the church/congregation.

Yes, the lecture begain with the man commiting fornication, however, do you really believe that Paul would do a lecture and not have any reason for it other than the fornicator? And why would he say that the saints shall judge the world if it were only that one man who was in the wrong?

BTW, are not all God's people saints, are they not all his holy people, are they not all become blamless? The word saints that is being uses there is hagios:

G40
    ἅγιος
    hagios
    hag'-ee-os
    From ἅγος hagos (an awful thing) compare G53, [H2282]; sacred (physically pure, morally blameless or religious, ceremonially consecrated): - (most) holy (one, thing), saint.

Why in 1Cor 6:2 would he say "and if the world shall be judged by you" if he was not refering to saints as being the believers?
  3. SEMO
    Moves
    11 Jul '08 17:02
    Do you prefer that churches preach God hates some people?
    I would prefer the churches teach truth. Not just some of it or a twist of it, but the WHOLE Word of God.
  4. SEMO
    Moves
    11 Jul '08 17:14
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    http://tinyurl.com/6neg2l Plenty of Biblical citations about God's love. There is no debate on whether or not God dislikes behavior; there is nothing that says God feels hatred toward certain people. As to your other statement, I've spent a great deal of time in both Bible study and theology. That doesn't mean I have to agree with your interpretations.
    I never said he did not love some, but it is not just the behavior he disslikes, the person is the one to blame, not the behavior. It would be like saying the gun killed someone and not the person behind the gun. The behavior is not what make the person, it is the person. You say there is nothing that says God feels hatred toward certain people, then what about these verses?

Psa 139:21 Do not I hate them, O LORD, that hate thee? and am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee?
    Psa 5:5 The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity.
    Psa 139:22 I hate them with perfect hatred: I count them mine enemies.

Jam 4:4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God?
    whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.
  5. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    11 Jul '08 17:20
    Originally posted by pritybetta
    I would prefer the churches teach truth. Not just some of it or a twist of it, but the WHOLE Word of God.
    like the parts about not sowing more than one kind of seed in a field, or wearing clothes made of more than one type of thread? Should we stone adulteres as well? The only relevant truth needed to be taught in this "dispensation" is that salvation comes through faith in Jesus christ, and not by any moral piety we think we have, nor by any deeds that we do.

Christ fulfilled Levitical law so we as humans are not burdened with that impossible task.

Christ says to judge not lest ye be judged. The situation in 1Cor 5 is not about "judgment" but about discernment. Not allowing a situation to continue when its known to be morally wrong.

1 Cor 6Your boasting is not good. Don't you know that a little yeast works through the whole batch of dough? 7Get rid of the old yeast that you may be a new batch without yeast—as you really are. For Christ, our Passover lamb, has been sacrificed. 8Therefore let us keep the Festival, not with the old yeast, the yeast of malice and wickedness, but with bread without yeast, the bread of sincerity and truth.

Paul was admonishing them for allowing a sinful relationship to continue in the church, the use of the word judge must be read contextually, as I have said before.

There are 2 important words to know before trying to decipher scripture:
    1: exegesis-(from the Greek ἐξηγεῖσθαι 'to lead out'😉 involves an extensive and critical interpretation of an authoritative text, especially of a holy scripture, such as of the Old and New Testaments of the Bible, the Talmud, the Midrash, the Qur'an, etc. Exegesis also is used to describe the elucidation of philosophical and legal texts.

One may encounter the terms exegesis and hermeneutics used interchangeably; however, there remains a distinction. An exegesis is the interpretation and understanding of a text on the basis of the text itself. A hermeneutic is a practical application of a certain method or theory of interpretation, often revolving around the contemporary relevance of the text in question.
    Contents
    2:hermenuetics-Essentially, hermeneutics involves cultivating the ability to understand things from somebody else's point of view, and to appreciate the cultural and social forces that may have influenced their outlook. Hermeneutics is the process of applying this understanding to interpreting the meaning of written texts and symbolic artifacts (such as art or sculpture or architecture), which may be either historic or contemporary.
  6. SEMO
    Moves
    11 Jul '08 17:23
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    Please, I beg you, I can't take too many more of Pritybetta's posts. For the love of God, don't provoke her. Poking the wasp nest of ignorance that is Pritybetta is just bad cricket old man.
    I am sorry, but you don't have to read my post if you can not take too many more.
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    11 Jul '08 18:47
    I am sorry, but you don't have to read my post if you can not take too many more.
    But the poor guy will have to read the post first ... thats the problem ... have a heart ... 😀
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    11 Jul '08 18:48
    like the parts about not sowing more than one kind of seed in a field, or wearing clothes made of more than one type of thread? Should we stone adulteres as well? The only relevant truth needed to be taught in this "dispensation" is that salvation comes through faith in Jesus christ, and not by any moral piety we think we have, nor by any deeds that we do.
    ...[text shortened]... uch as art or sculpture or architecture), which may be either historic or contemporary.
    Nice post. If PB cant appreciate that then she is too far gone. We have done our best.
  9. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    11 Jul '08 18:50
    Nice post. If PB cant appreciate that then she is too far gone. We have done our best.
    agreed
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    11 Jul '08 18:59
    Listen carefully Miss ... Did Christ preach :

- that adulterers must be stoned?
    - that God does not love everybody ?
    - that you have to be perfect?

If so please tell me where.

Understand this ... Christ is looking for people who CARE about other people and is capable of TOLERANCE . Understand that or you are just like the Pharisees.
  11. SEMO
    Moves
    11 Jul '08 19:22
    ...[text shortened]... uch as art or sculpture or architecture), which may be either historic or contemporary.
    The OT was a shadow of Christ, A way of showing how pure Christ is. If you do not understand that then you too are decived in your undersanding.

Is not judging what a church teaches discerning? Isn't teaching lies letting a sin continue in the church?
  12. SEMO
    Moves
    11 Jul '08 19:31
    Listen carefully Miss ... Did Christ preach :

- that adulterers must be stoned?
    - that God does not love everybody ?
    - that you have to be perfect?

If so please tell me where.

Understand this ... Christ is looking for people who CARE about other people and is capable of TOLERANCE . Understand that or you are just like the Pharisees.
    Do they have to tolerate sin? Does the Lord talerate sin? I never said they had to be perfect, just that they need to be careful as to what they teach to be true. They need to study it before blindly teaching it just because they want a big congregation or just because that is what they were taught by other men.

I would sugest looking up what Paul Washer has to say about those who teach. He has some very good points on this subject.
  13. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    11 Jul '08 19:32
    The OT was a shadow of Christ, A way of showing how pure Christ is. If you do not understand that then you too are decived in your undersanding.

Is not judging what a church teaches discerning? Isn't teaching lies letting a sin continue in the church?
    The OT showed a people's idea of God and their relationship with God as they saw it. It included a number of promises which the messiah was expected to fulfill. The messiah they got didn't match the expectations of a lot of people. Those psalms you quoted were written by people who believed that God felt the same way humans do. Humans often feel hate when someone hates them or says bad things against them, and so they ascribed that same tendency to God. It doesn't mean God hates anyone. When Jesus came he tried to clear up those misunderstandings with the message that God is a loving creator.
  14. SEMO
    Moves
    11 Jul '08 19:44
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    The OT showed a people's idea of God and their relationship with God as they saw it. It included a number of promises which the messiah was expected to fulfill. The messiah they got didn't match the expectations of a lot of people. Those psalms you quoted were written by people who believed that God felt the same way humans do. Humans often feel hate ...[text shortened]... e he tried to clear up those misunderstandings with the message that God is a loving creator.
    A God so loving to give them free will to keep themselves in a state of damnation? So loving that he would let them stay in a state of death, dead in sin, just because they supposedly have free will to choose to stay there? Why would the Lord, if he loved everyone, let them stay in that state when he has the power to save everyone? Do you believe he loves the Devil? Or those who's father is the Devil?
  15. Playing with matches
    Moves
    11 Jul '08 19:54
    Its like watching a horrible, firery crash involving a bus full of nuns, you just can't take your eyes off it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree