15 Dec '18 09:03

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Dec '18 13:01
    @secondson said
    Have you not read that there's only one God?
    Yes and apparently he has three persons in him!
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Dec '18 10:133 edits
    Concerning Christians usage of the word Person, persons, distinct persons in relation to the Triune God -

From -

https://contendingforthefaith.org/en/the-error-of-insisting-on-three-persons-as-a-litmus-test-of-orthodoxy/
    [my bolding]
    Title:
    The Error of Insisting on Three “Persons” as a Litmus Test of Orthodoxy

Summary:
    While it is common (and not wrong) to refer to the Three of the Divine Trinity as three “persons,” the term persons is problematic because it can lead to misunderstanding. This article examines whether Norman Geisler was justified in criticizing a statement of faith in the journal Affirmation & Critique because it did not explicitly use the word persons in its definition of the Trinity.

Norman Geisler, in a letter to Ron Kangas, A&C‘s Editor-in-Chief, called these statements concerning the Trinity unorthodox, stating:

First, if you desired to be considered orthodox in your “Statement of Faith,” then why did you leave out the word “person” of the three members of the Trinity. To be orthodox you should have said “three [persons] being distinct” and “we confess the third [person] of the Trinity.”2

Thus, to Geisler any statement speaking of the three of the Divine Trinity that does not use the word “persons” is unorthodox. Furthermore, Geisler, in an article co-signed by Ron Rhodes, denounce the teaching of Witness Lee and the local churches as heresy based on the following statement made by Witness Lee:

The Father, the Son, and the Spirit are not three separate persons or three Gods; they are one God, one reality, one person.3

Augustus H. Strong, whom Geisler and Rhodes referred to as “the noted Baptist theologian,” said:

The term ‘person’ only approximately represents the truth. Although this word, more nearly than any other single word, expressed the conception which the Scriptures give us of the relation between the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, it is not itself used in this connection in Scriptures, and we employ it in a qualified sense, not in the ordinary sense in which we apply the word ‘person’ to Peter, Paul, and John.6

J. Scott Horrell, Professor of Theological Studies at Dallas Theological Seminary, notes:

If the term nature is difficult when we speak of God, the term person is all the more complex. Theologians such as Tertullian, the Cappadocians, Augustine, and Aquinas differ in their concept of person, even if modern and postmodern conceptions vary considerably more.7

This is only a sample of the full discussion. Seriourly interested readers wanting to know the local churches co-workers' defense against criticisms on teaching on the Trinity may read more at

Contending For the Faith

https://contendingforthefaith.org/en/the-error-of-insisting-on-three-persons-as-a-litmus-test-of-orthodoxy/
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Dec '18 10:561 edit
    If anyone is confused about why I cut and pasted in the above:

We in the local churches are criticized from one side as saying "three persons" about God and on the other side for not saying "three persons".

How could both opposite criticisms be true?

The article is about what I have said all along and what Divegeester agreed with. That is that human language is limited in explaining the nature of God.

And terms like "person/s" may be used guardedly. If we don't press them too far they help to express the mysterious nature of God.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    16 Dec '18 11:013 edits
    @divegeester

“Slink away”

Yes - Slink away.

From telling us who you meet with past or present so the style examination you perform may be done on you in turn.

Let's see if Divegeester has the guts to tell the world who are the believers he has come together with. Or will we be treated to a barrage of excuses for his concealment.

So far, ... he slinks away.
    Strict and exacting on OTHERS.
    Merciful and accommodating on HIMSELF.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Dec '18 13:331 edit
    @sonship...14 pages in and you still haven’t answered.

@divegeester said
    Sonship, for three years I’ve been asking you if I have to believe in the trinity doctrine to be saved and for three years you have been refusing to give me a straight yes or no answer, because you claim that there isn’t one. I’ve told you for three years that I don’t believe you.

Here is a copy/paste from the statement of beliefs from the website of your own church sect:

”In order to be saved, one must have a living faith in the Person and work of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. Every genuinely saved one has what the Bible calls the “common faith” (Titus 1:4), which includes what we must believe in order to be saved: we must believe that the Bible is the complete divine revelation wholly inspired by God; that there is a unique Triune God, the Father, the Son, and the Spirit; that Jesus Christ is the Son of God incarnated to be a man; that Christ died on the cross for our sins, shedding His blood for our redemption; that on the third day He was bodily raised from the dead; that He has been exalted to the right hand of God and made the Lord of all; and that He is coming again for His own and to set up His kingdom on earth.”

https://www.localchurches.org/beliefs/salvation/

There it is in unequivocal black and white text. So why is it so hard for you to copy/paste this text and justify it when I’ve been asking you for clarity for three years?!

Of course I don’t believe in the trinity doctrine and therefore you cannot classify me as Christian and therefore I will burn in Hell with the rest Of the unbelievers.

Perhaps you were right to be ashamed of this.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Dec '18 13:411 edit
    It is facinating why the most verbose poster in this forum can not answer the simplest of questions about his stated beliefs. I wonder why that is. Heresy...maybe...
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Dec '18 10:006 edits
    Here are the websites of four congregations I have met with for an accumulated over 40 years from 1974. Usually Statements of Faith and Testimonies can be examined.

The church in New York City
    http://churchinnyc.org

The church in Newton, Mass.
    https://www.localchurches.org/churches/newton-ma-usa/

The church in Boston, Mass
    http://churchinboston.org

The church in Dunn Loring, VA.
    http://churchindunnloring.org

Share with us about the fellow seekers of God you have me with and their positions of Salvation and Statements of Faith.

Why do you want to conceal your gatherings in secretive obscurity ? Are you afraid that exposing your congregations to the light may invite the charge of "cult" or "sect" ?

Are you ashamed of something ?
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Dec '18 12:18
    @sonship said
    Here are the websites of four congregations I have met with for an accumulated over 40 years from 1974. Usually Statements of Faith and Testimonies can be examined.

The church in New York City
    http://churchinnyc.org

The church in Newton, Mass.
    https://www.localchurches.org/churches/newton-ma-usa/

The church in Boston, Mass
    http://ch ...[text shortened]... gations to the light may invite the charge of "cult" or "sect" ?

Are you ashamed of something ?
    Is there any chance at all of you addressing the OP, of are you going to continue to avoid the simple question in it to you like some sort of plague?
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    17 Dec '18 14:546 edits
    @divegeester
    Is there any chance at all of you addressing the OP, of are you going to continue to avoid the simple question in it to you like some sort of plague?

STRICT AS ALL GET OUT with everyone else.

MERCIFUL, ACCOMMODATING, and LENIENT, on YOURSELF.

We've got it. By not admitting to any group of people with whom you have practically shared communion you can hide indefinitely from being examined as you RELISH examining others.

What's up with this? Is it that as soon as TWO of you are together you have the dreaded "corporate religion" ?

SHOW US a "Statement of Faith" under which YOU have gathered.
    SHOW US a "In Order To Be Saved" statement under which YOU have gathered.

GO!
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Dec '18 15:36
    @sonship said
    @divegeester

STRICT AS ALL GET OUT with everyone else.

MERCIFUL, ACCOMMODATING, and LENIENT, on YOURSELF.

We've got it. By not admitting to any group of peo ...[text shortened]... hered.
    SHOW US a "In Order To Be Saved" statement under which YOU have gathered.

GO!
    Stop ranting and feel free to start a thread on whatever topic you wish to discuss.

This thread is about my OP, it's about why you are so furtive about your strange beliefs and it's about error, your error, like the one in the OP written by your own church leaders.
  12. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    17 Dec '18 17:54
    @divegeester said
    Stop ranting and feel free to start a thread on whatever topic you wish to discuss.

This thread is about my OP, it's about why you are so furtive about your strange beliefs and it's about error, your error, like the one in the OP written by your own church leaders.
    No. This thread is about you, what you think about others, about how much bile a troll like you can heap on anyone that dares to oppose your unbiblical version of God.
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    17 Dec '18 18:50
    @secondson said
    No. This thread is about you, what you think about others, about how much bile a troll like you can heap on anyone that dares to oppose your unbiblical version of God.
    This is a discussion forum and sonship’s strange beleifs and his furtiveness when asked about them is a legitimate topic.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    18 Dec '18 00:042 edits
    @divegeester said

This "error" you mean ?
    [my bolding]
    In order to be saved, one must have a living contact with Jesus Christ. Therefore, in bringing unbelievers to salvation, we emphasize prayer and calling on the name of the Lord. According to Romans 10:9 and 10, if a man is to be saved, he must believe in his heart and confess with his mouth.

Once a person has been saved, he may have both the assurance of salvation and the security of salvation. Once we are saved, we are saved forever.

From The Beliefs and Practices of the Local Churches

The above is just what I have been writing here for years.

You haven't the courage to associate yourself with any congregation on earth.
    You're the one acting like you're trying to conceal errors.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Dec '18 07:16
    @sonship said
    This "error" you mean ?
    [my bolding]
    [quote] In order to be saved, one must have a living contact with Jesus Christ. Therefore, in bringing unbelievers to salvation, we emphasize prayer and calling on the name of the Lord. According to Romans 10:9 and 10, if a man is to be saved, he must believe in his heart and confess with his mouth.

Once a person h ...[text shortened]... urself with any congregation on earth.
    You're the one acting like you're trying to conceal errors.
    No, not what you have written in your post as a deflection (tut-tut); as you well know I’m referring to the error lifted from the statement of belief written by the the leaders of your Local Church group and which is written in the OP of this thread and many times afterwards and which you have been refusing to say whether you agree with it or not.

This is not going to go away sonship.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree