Christ Distilled

Christ Distilled

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
24 Oct 09

Originally posted by epiphinehas
Let me narrow things down a bit.

I'm not looking for broad generalizations (e.g., love God with all your heart, etc.), or everything Christ said about anything. What I'm looking for specifically (I should've mentioned this earlier), are the teachings of Christ which pertain to how one ought to behave; i.e., what one must do in order to be considered ...[text shortened]... the time being). I'd like to create a list of only practical teachings.

Thanks.
Matthew 6 AND Luke 11

Moves
24 Oct 09

Let me narrow things down a bit.

I'm not looking for broad generalizations (e.g., love God with all your heart, etc.), or everything Christ said about anything. What I'm looking for specifically (I should've mentioned this earlier), are the teachings of Christ which pertain to how one ought to behave; i.e., what one must do in order to be considered ...[text shortened]... the time being). I'd like to create a list of only practical teachings.

Thanks.
Then one must look first to Matthew and the Sermon on the Mount.

Secondary would be non-apocryphal parables.

Illinois

Moves
24 Oct 09

Originally posted by whodey
Of course, the law to end all laws comes to mind to love the Lord your God with all your heart and sould and mind and to love your neighbor as yourself. ON this law hangs all other laws so if you observe it you will remain sinless.

Of course, Christ gave us the example of the good samaritan when loving your neighbor, but what does it mean to love God? Ch ...[text shortened]... t will contrinbute to the kingdom of God on earth? That is the question you shouild be asking.
Good stuff, whodey. I'm with you, but this is more of an academic exercise. I'm interested in compiling a list of Christ's teachings regarding how a believer is supposed to behave. To love God and one's neighbor, as a command, will definitely be included on the list. I also intend to explore what this might mean practically speaking. Justin Martyr once said, "Let it be understood that those who are not found living as [Christ] taught are not Christian, even though they profess with the lips the teaching of Christ." For obvious reasons, I think this subject needs further study.

Illinois

Moves
24 Oct 09

Originally posted by josephw
Matthew 6 AND Luke 11
On it.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
24 Oct 09

Good stuff, whodey. I'm with you, but this is more of an academic exercise. I'm interested in compiling a list of Christ's teachings regarding how a believer is supposed to behave. To love God and one's neighbor, as a command, will definitely be included on the list. I also intend to explore what this might mean practically speaking. Justin M ...[text shortened]... s the teaching of Christ." For obvious reasons, I think this subject needs further study.
"..I think this subject needs further study."

Oh ya! Indeed.

I have an answer to your original inquiry, but I'm not sure I should go there. I don't think it will be received very well. I'll keep tabs on this thread and if I see an opening I'll do my best to introduce my perspective.

Illinois

Moves
24 Oct 09

Originally posted by josephw
[b]"..I think this subject needs further study."

Oh ya! Indeed.

I have an answer to your original inquiry, but I'm not sure I should go there. I don't think it will be received very well. I'll keep tabs on this thread and if I see an opening I'll do my best to introduce my perspective.[/b]
Very tantalizing, Josephw. I look forward to it.

rc

Moves
24 Oct 09

Good stuff, whodey. I'm with you, but this is more of an academic exercise. I'm interested in compiling a list of Christ's teachings regarding how a believer is supposed to behave. To love God and one's neighbor, as a command, will definitely be included on the list. I also intend to explore what this might mean practically speaking. Justin M ...[text shortened]... s the teaching of Christ." For obvious reasons, I think this subject needs further study.
i posted a very good post, with regard to setting priorities, which you have ignored, why?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
24 Oct 09

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
i posted a very good post, with regard to setting priorities, which you have ignored, why?
I don't think he ignored you robbie. I think epiphinehas is driving at this topic from a different perspective which is yet to be reveled.

"What are the teachings of Christ?" is a broad question, and can be approached from many different perspectives. I think wringett provided a comprehensive list, but epiphinehas didn't reply to him either.

I'm interested in this thread because I have a perspective of what the 'teaching of Christ' means that may be altogether different than what most may be aware of.

I hope this thread will not get out of hand. This could become a very interesting debate.

Illinois

Moves
24 Oct 09
1 edit

ok, ill have a shot

Christ taught us to set priorities in life

Jesus said to the crowd who had gathered to hear him: “Stop being anxious about your souls as to what you will eat or what you will drink, or about your bodies as to what you will wear. Does not the soul mean more than food and the body than clothing? Observe intently the birds of h ...[text shortened]... thus freeing us from all types of materialistic anxieties, knowing that the Father cares for us!
Well put! We can find Christ expounding on this spiritual principle in Matthew 6:19-34. This definitely must be included in our list.

rc

Moves
24 Oct 09
1 edit

Well put! We can find Christ expounding on this spiritual principle in Matthew 6:19-34. This definitely must be included in our list.
my apologies Epi, it must be the siege mentality of the forum. i have a good point about admitting faults, which i think is quite practical. Will post later, for it seems to be that above all is what you are after, a practical application of Christian teaching in the disciples life, rather than a purely theological discussion over beliefs.

Illinois

Moves
24 Oct 09
3 edits

Here's a tentative and partial list of Christ's practical teachings. I've scanned as far as Matthew 10 to discover them. In some instances I have paraphrased the sayings of Christ for clarity. If you have any teachings to add that I have missed, or you disagree with a particular paraphrase I've employed, then please feel free to speak your mind on the issue.

The Practical Teachings of Jesus Christ:

(1) Let only the good deeds that glorify God shine out for all to see, e.g., good preaching and good living (Matt. 5:16)

(2) Obey God's laws (Matt. 5:19)

(3) Do not become angry with or express anger toward anyone without cause (Matt. 5:22)

(4) Remain at peace with everyone (Matt. 5:24)

(5) Do not look lustfully at anyone (Matt. 5:26)

(6) Only divorce your spouse in the case of unfaithfulness (Matt. 5:32)

(7) Make no vows; your word is enough; respond simply yes or no (Matt. 5:34)

(8) Do not be revengeful; not revenging evil for evil (Matt. 5:39)

(9) Give freely to those who ask, turning no one away (Matt. 5:42)

(10) Actively love, be kind to, and pray for your enemies who persecute you; those who are evil and unjust (Matt. 5:43-48)

(11) Do not perform good deeds in order to be admired (Matt. 6:1)

(12) When giving to the poor do so in secret (Matt. 6:4)

(13) Do not pray in order to be admired for your piety (Matt. 6:5)

(14) When you pray, go away by yourself, shut the door behind you, and pray to your Father secretly (Matt. 6:6)

(15) Do not pray in vain repetitions (Matt. 6:7)

(16) Pray the "Lord's Prayer" (Matt. 6:9-13)

(17) Forgive all those who sin against you (Matt 6:14)

(18) Do not fast in order to be admired, instead fast secretly, taking pains to conceal (Matt. 6:16-18)

(19) Set your heart on the eternal things of heaven rather than on what is temporary (Matt. 6:19-24)

(20) Don't worry (Matt. 6:25-34)

(21) Do not sit in judgment of anyone, condemning them (Matt. 7:1)

(22) Do not reprove others for their faults if you are guilty of the same or worse (Matt. 7:3-4)

(23) Only reprove others for their faults if you are not guilty of the same or worse (Matt. 7:5)

(24) Do not reprove those who are hard-hearted, unholy and evil; i.e., those who aren't receptive to reproof (Matt. 7:6)

(25) Ask of God and seek God persistently in prayer (Matt. 7:7-11)

(26) Do for others what you would like them to do for you (Matt. 7:12)

(27) Beware of false prophets and false teachers (Matt. 7:15)

(28) Give precedence to following Christ above all else (Matt. 8:22)

(29) Don't be afraid of those who want to kill you (Matt. 10:28)

(30) Fear only God and nothing or anyone else (Matt. 10:28)

(31) Acknowledge Christ publicly (Matt. 10:32)

(32) Never deny Christ publicly (Matt. 10:33)

(33) Love Christ above all other relationships without exception (Matt. 10:37)

(34) Be willing to give up everything, even your own life, in order to be obedient to Christ (Matt. 10:38-39)

(35) Be hospitable and welcoming to the godly because of their godliness (Matt. 10:41)

Illinois

Moves
24 Oct 09

my apologies Epi, it must be the siege mentality of the forum. i have a good point about admitting faults, which i think is quite practical. Will post later, for it seems to be that above all is what you are after, a practical application of Christian teaching in the disciples life, rather than a purely theological discussion over beliefs.
No prob, rob. And yes, I'm after a practical application of Christ's teachings in the disciple's life rather than a theological discussion (although one may legitimately arise).

I look forward to your input.

Hmmm . . .

Moves
25 Oct 09

Since Badwater mentioned parables as a secondary source, and I’m not sure if the parable of the Good Samaritan is apocryphal—

I have always thought that this parable propounds a strong lesson: The Samaritan does not ask the man in the ditch what his religion is, what he believes or does not believe, whether or not he is righteous, etc., etc. He does not ask anything at all of the man—who is apparently unconscious. The Samaritan does not require thanks or praise or belief—or anything at all!—in the end, he may well remain anonymous to the man in the ditch.

I do not understand why more Christians do not (or do not seem to) understand this parable, not only in practical terms for their own lives, but soteriologically as well. This parable is a perfect model of a soteriology of soterias—i.e., within a model of illness and healing (soterias), rather than of offense and pardon/punishment. Or, rather, I do not understand how we (myself included) who “grew up”, so to speak, in a Protestant western culture, so totally missed out on this soteriology that is so strong in the eastern (e.g., Greek Orthodox) churches, and has always been.

Sorry for the “sermonizing”, Epi. I just think that this parable goes to the heart of what is best in “Christianity” (that is only in quotes because I no longer can keep track of the various disagreements as to what “true Christianity” is&hellip😉

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
25 Oct 09

Originally posted by vistesd
Since Badwater mentioned parables as a secondary source, and I’m not sure if the parable of the Good Samaritan is apocryphal—

I have always thought that this parable propounds a strong lesson: The Samaritan does not ask the man in the ditch what his religion is, what he believes or does not believe, whether or not he is righteous, etc., etc. He does not ...[text shortened]... ause I no longer can keep track of the various disagreements as to what “true Christianity” is&hellip😉
..Are you Christians listening to this?
A good post makes me forget the origonal op and takes me into the 'now' of the point at hand. In this way 'Spirituality' can go from anything to anything and I challenge anyone to say that the spirituality threads have to stay on topic. Thats the beuaty of true spirituality-it includes everything- albeit distorted sometimes...

Hmmm . . .

Moves
25 Oct 09

Originally posted by karoly aczel
..Are you Christians listening to this?
A good post makes me forget the origonal op and takes me into the 'now' of the point at hand. In this way 'Spirituality' can go from anything to anything and I challenge anyone to say that the spirituality threads have to stay on topic. Thats the beuaty of true spirituality-it includes everything- albeit distorted sometimes...
Hi Karoly! Hope you are well.

You know, I can’t remember many threads on here that stayed on topic anyway! And I’ve been here so long I remember when Epi showed up!

But I don’t think Epi wants argument here; rather some ideas to feed his own thinking.

So I’ll add this—

I do think that there are Biblical statements that take relative preference over others—that, as it were, contextualize the rest, that serve as lenses through which to understand the rest. A lot of disagreements on here seem to stem from people explicitly or implicitly disagreeing as to which texts take such precedence. I only offer the Good Samaritan parable in that spirit. (Epi, by the way, is thoroughly familiar with my views here—since he and I had what was one of my two best mano y mano debates on here, extensive and detailed in terms of scriptural research. Epi could probably make many of my arguments for me.)