1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Dec '16 17:261 edit
    A liberal mentioned Christian tolerance in a thread. I was wondering which scriptures mention Christian tolerance. Perhaps example of it such as where Paul instructed that the immoral brother is to be expelled.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    22 Dec '16 17:57
    Originally posted by Eladar
    A liberal mentioned Christian tolerance in a thread. I was wondering which scriptures mention Christian tolerance. Perhaps example of it such as where Paul instructed that the immoral brother is to be expelled.
    Well let's see, he tolerated the money changers in the temple for about a minute or two before driving them out with a whip.

Of course, he did not kill them, so I guess that is showing some level of tolerance, eh?
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Dec '16 18:16
    Originally posted by whodey
    Well let's see, he tolerated the money changers in the temple for about a minute or two before driving them out with a whip.

Of course, he did not kill them, so I guess that is showing some level of tolerance, eh?
    Wait a minute, are you saying that Jesus was physically violent and expressed explosive anger?

I thought that Jesus was perfect and never sinned.

Of course that was sarcasm from my point of view, but I am not sure how liberals can call that action loving.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    22 Dec '16 18:283 edits
    What happened to that brother in the Second letter to the Corinthians ?

Concerning tolerance i would recommend you read the whole 14th and 15th chapter of the book of Romans as instructions for how Christians receive one another in the church life.

Look around chapter 2 verses 7 - 11. on liberality since "liberal" is a dirty word for you.

Ecclesiastes says there is a time for everything under the sun - ie. a time to gather stones and a time to cast away stones.

Do you think there is ONLY time to be one way in life and never time for its opposite?
    If you do then you are like a cake unturned - all cooked on one side but raw on the other.

There was a time to discipline that brother from the church in Corinth in one letter.
    And there was a time to receive him back with forgiveness in another letter.

Does James say that God gives liberally in James 1:5?

"But if anyone of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and does not reproach ..."

Does this passage speak of giving of your own wealth liberally ?

" Give and it will be given to you; a good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, they will give into your bosom.

For what measure you measure, it shall be measured to you in return." (Luke 6:38)

Doesn't that kind of sound like a lesson is liberality ?

What about God loves a cheerful giver? See Second Corinthians 9:6,7.
    If your groaning and fell under resentful compulsion, keep your riches.
    God loves a cheerful giver.

How about the " heavenly communism " Paul teaches in Second Corinthians where Paul says God will balance out the material needs so none has excess and none has lack.

" .. so that there may be equality; As it is written, He who gathered much had no excess, and he who gathered little had no lack." (2 Cor. 14b-15)

Here again Paul mentions the liberality of the believers -

" That in much proving of affliction the abundance of their joy and depth of their poverty abounded unto the riches of their liberality." ( 2 Cor. 8:2)

He is saying that in their poverty all the more their liberality in giving was exemplified.

Then he says they were so liberal that they gave beyond their power.

"That according to their power, i testify, and beyond their power, of their own accord." (v.3)

If you didn't notice Paul is writing and boasting of the liberality in Christ of these believers and not complaining about it.

I could go on and on because you are talking about the wrong book if you wish to pronounce divine sanction on your stinginess.

My point really here is that Christ is all-inclusive and all-encompassing. And there is a time to be liberal just as much as there is a time to be restrained and cautious about your wealth.

God loves a cheerful giver. And if you moan, groan, pout, and sneer against those who need your help, God would that you just go ahead and keep your wealth. He loves a cheerful giver and will see to it that in return your reward is pressed together, shaken down so that more can go into the basket, and overflowing too.

You cannot out give God .. period.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Dec '16 18:30
    Originally posted by sonship
    What happened to that brother in the Second letter to the Corinthians ?

Look around [b] chapter 2 verses 7 - 11.

Ecclesiastes says there is a time for everything under the sun - ie. a time to gather stones and a time to cast away stones.

Do you think there is ONLY time to be one way in life and never time for its opposite?
    If you do then ...[text shortened]... so that more can go into the basket, and overflowing too.

You cannot out give God .. period.[/b]
    You must have posted to the wrong thread, or perhaps you can't understand why people are against violins on television.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    22 Dec '16 18:36
    You must have posted to the wrong thread, or perhaps you can't understand why people are against violins on television.
    Strict towards themselves, accommodating toward others - that is the characteristic of the people of the kingdom of the heavens.

Whose against violins on TV? I never heard of such a thing.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    22 Dec '16 18:432 edits
    I am not sure what you meant by the violins. Bleeding hearts - is that the idea?

Do you think Cain was the first conservative ?

"Am I my brother's keeper ? "

Actually, I do not want to make a stereotype as you would. I have known some conservative people politically who were quite generous at times. Stereotyping is not that helpful.

And I have known some politically liberal folks who were tight wades.

What's the point about violins? The subtlety escapes me.
  8. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    22 Dec '16 18:49
    I am not sure what you meant by the violins. Bleeding hearts - is that the idea?

Do you think Cain was the first conservative ?

[b] "Am I my brother's keeper ? "

Actually, I do not want to make a stereotype as you would. I have known some conservative people politically who were quite generous at times. Stereotyping is not that helpful.

...[text shortened]... liberal folks who were tight wades.

What's the point about violins? The subtlety escapes me.[/b]
    I suspect he meant 'violence' on tv, not 'violins.'

He's not the sharpest tool in the box.
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    22 Dec '16 19:04
    Strict towards themselves, accommodating toward others - that is the characteristic of the people of the kingdom of the heavens.

Whose against violins on TV? I never heard of such a thing.
    http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/emilys-editorial-reply/n8635?snl=1
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Dec '16 19:04
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke

LOL Such an idiot.
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Dec '16 20:11
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke

"Oh, that's different... Never mind."
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    22 Dec '16 20:141 edit
    If I'd known it was going to cause you to create another crap thread where you try to justify you having Republican "values" as a Christian, then I wouldn't have said anything.

Go back to Debates for the holidays so you can be back with your neo-Nazi "brothers".
  13. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    22 Dec '16 20:311 edit
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    If I'd known it was going to cause you to create another crap thread where you try to justify you having Republican "values" as a Christian, then I wouldn't have said anything.

Go back to Debates for the holidays so you can be back with your neo-Nazi "brothers".
    Shows how easy it is to use the Bible in creating a belief system that is antithetical to the teachings of Jesus while He walked the Earth.

The irony is that they use the same methodology as those who do likewise with the Quran. They are the same as radicalized "Muslims".
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Dec '16 20:43
    I would still like to know what Jesus tolerated.
  15. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    22 Dec '16 21:07
    I would still like to know what Jesus tolerated.
    "Give back to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's." And they were amazed at him."

Mark 12:17

I'll let you locate the tolerance.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree