1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    24 Dec '16 18:153 edits
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Was he speaking to a individuals or the courts?

I'm sure you won't be able to see the difference.
    I took "the courts" into account.

Reread the following with the understanding that "those in government" includes those who comprise the courts. Why you would think it wouldn't include them is beyond me, but you are what you are.

What you see is this:
    "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. [Except for those in government who should feel free to cast away. And for those who still condemn this woman to death, allow those in the government to serve as your proxy in casting your stone]."

Since you still seem to be struggling with what Jesus was teaching, Jesus was speaking against condemning people to death:
    John 8
    10Straightening up, Jesus said to her, “Woman, where are they? Did no one condemn you?” 11She said, “No one, Lord.” And Jesus said, “I do not condemn you, either. Go. From now on sin no more.

Note that Jesus did not say, "Go [to the courts and if they condemn you] and [you are put to death you will] sin no more".
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    24 Dec '16 18:22
    Was he speaking to a individuals or the courts?

I'm sure you won't be able to see the difference.
    What do you say?

John 8New International Version (NIV)

8 1 but Jesus went to the Mount of Olives.

2 At dawn he appeared again in the temple courts, where all the people gathered around him, and he sat down to teach them. 3 The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group 4 and said to Jesus, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. 5 In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?” 6 They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him.

But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. 7 When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.” 8 Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.

9 At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. 10 Jesus straightened up and asked her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?”

11 “No one, sir,” she said.

“Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared. “Go now and leave your life of sin.”
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    24 Dec '16 18:37
    Originally posted by JS357
    What do you say?

John 8New International Version (NIV)

8 1 but Jesus went to the Mount of Olives.

2 At dawn he appeared again in the temple courts, where all the people gathered around him, and he sat down to teach them. 3 The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group 4 and said ...[text shortened]... e said.

“Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared. “Go now and leave your life of sin.”
    Are you trying to say our courts should be based on Bible teachings? We should follow the Jewish example of a theology?
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    25 Dec '16 18:49
    Are you trying to say our courts should be based on Bible teachings? We should follow the Jewish example of a theology?
    No, I'm asking for your answer to your question, "Was he speaking to a individuals or the courts?"
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    25 Dec '16 19:28
    No, I'm asking for your answer to your question, "Was he speaking to a individuals or the courts?"
    A court of religious leaders.
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    25 Dec '16 22:371 edit
    A court of religious leaders.
    The references to "one" and "ones" aside?
  7. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    25 Dec '16 22:521 edit
    The references to "one" and "ones" aside?
    Compare apples to apples. Death penalty for murder isn't quite the same as death penalty for adultery.

I do not support the death penalty for adultery.
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    25 Dec '16 23:41
    Compare apples to apples. Death penalty for murder isn't quite the same as death penalty for adultery.

I do not support the death penalty for adultery.
    So Jesus wasn't advocating against sinners throwing stones? After all, courts don't throw stones, people do.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Dec '16 00:04
    So Jesus wasn't advocating against sinners throwing stones? After all, courts don't throw stones, people do.
    If that's what you say.
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    26 Dec '16 16:21
    If that's what you say.
    OK.j
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    26 Dec '16 19:20
    OK.j
    Like many others, Eladar conforms the Bible to his own preconceived beliefs. It really doesn't matter to them what it actually says or doesn't say.

Not that he'll ever admit it. Instead he keeps dancing around the fact that he doesn't believe in what Jesus taught about condemning people to death here in John 8 or more generally in Luke 6.

Luke 6
    36“Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful. 37“Do not judge, and you will not be judged; and do not condemn, and you will not be condemned; pardon, and you will be pardoned.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Dec '16 19:29
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Like many others, Eladar conforms the Bible to his own preconceived beliefs. It really doesn't matter to them what it actually says or doesn't say.

Not that he'll ever admit it. Instead he keeps dancing around the fact that he doesn't believe in what Jesus taught about condemning people to death here in John 8 or more generally in Luke 6.

Luke 6
    3 ...[text shortened]... be judged; and do not condemn, and you will not be condemned; pardon, and you will be pardoned.
    Pot
  13. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    26 Dec '16 19:38
    Pot
    Of course when Eladar can't defend his position, so he repeatedly resorts to vacuous canned responses like "pot", "If that's what you say", etc.

It's laughable, but it is what it is.

He extremely self-centered and his views reflect it - which is the antithesis of the works spoken by Jesus while He walked the Earth.
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    26 Dec '16 19:42
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Of course when Eladar can't defend his position, so he repeatedly resorts to vacuous canned responses like "pot", "If that's what you say", etc.

It's laughable, but it is what it is.

He extremely self-centered and his views reflect it - which is the antithesis of the works spoken by Jesus while He walked the Earth.
    Defend a position created by a heretic?

Why try to discuss with the those who are dying? I'll just point out your hypocrisy and leave it at that.
  15. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    26 Dec '16 19:551 edit
    Defend a position created by a heretic?

Why try to discuss with the those who are dying? I'll just point out your hypocrisy and leave it at that.
    I guess I should have explicitly added calling people "heretics" to the list of vacuous canned responses.

Eladar cannot rationally defend his position so he continues to dance around the fact that he doesn't believe in what Jesus taught about condemning people to death here in John 8 or more generally in Luke 6.

More generally, Eladar dances around the fact that he is extremely self-centered and his views reflect it - which is the antithesis of the works spoken by Jesus while He walked the Earth.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree