1. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    25 Dec '10 15:39
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Don't recall seeing an apology. Perhaps I missed it. Can you point me to the thread and page number?
    My apologies, I assumed you had just ignored me.

http://www.timeforchess.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=136430&page=4#post_2590376

I might also state here an apology to ToO. It was poor judgement on my part to make a joke involving your Prophet's words. My humblest and most profound "I am sorry" I can express in mere words. I am no fan of Islam, but I'd rather not be an enemy to them either. Bad judgement as I said. It was inteneded to make others laugh, and instead insulted at least you if not others here.
  2. kent
    Moves
    25 Dec '10 17:57
    There have been a number of threads and posts that are Islamophobic or Homophobic in nature. From what I can tell, the vast majority have been posted by Christians and/or supported by Christians. It also seems that the vast majority of those speaking out against such hatred have been non-Christians.

Based on that, it seems that Christianity is more a ...[text shortened]... rather than of love. Many Christians speak about love and forgiveness, yet show their hypocrisy.
    Big, big generalisation I'm afraid.
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    25 Dec '10 18:42
    There have been a number of threads and posts that are Islamophobic or Homophobic in nature. From what I can tell, the vast majority have been posted by Christians and/or supported by Christians. It also seems that the vast majority of those speaking out against such hatred have been non-Christians.

Based on that, it seems that Christianity is more a ...[text shortened]... rather than of love. Many Christians speak about love and forgiveness, yet show their hypocrisy.
    It's a marketing thing, really. Owing to dismal return rates, the church opted to try different strategies in order to keep asses in the seats, so to speak. Emotion seemed to elicit the most immediate of responses from folks, so church leaders opted to strip the message of truth and slather it with anything which would trigger some emotional reaction.

The several so-called revivals both here in the States and abroad stand as testament to this phenomenon. The first tact was to use fear (à la Jonathan Edwards, among others) in order to get the message received. Results were counted by said asses in seats and/or monies in coffers.

Sometime around the turn of the last century, someone in sales and marketing suggested the church ought to try love as the latest sales pitch. Who can argue with love, right? From that point forward, the selling point was anything related to love: how much God loves you; how much you should love God; lonely Jesus forlornly standing outside your house, begging to come in; God as your husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend/BFF; ad nauseum.

Truth (doctrine) was pushed aside and 'how it makes you feel' became the order of the day. Who doesn't want a hug? Who doesn't want God as their best friend? Hey: it seemed like a good idea at the time!

Now, the standard is love--- or some semblance of the stuff. Now love is just a fuzzy, non-judgmental, vague feeling of acceptance--- no matter what--- like a liquid warmth that surrounds us. Even if it's really just (temporarily) warm piss.

Smartly, those who eschew any standard of righteousness (such as yourself) now use that marketing program of love as a billy club against the Christian. Against pedophilia? Must be a hater. Against anything at all that someone--- anyone--- can find even a measure of pleasure in doing? Must be a hater.

Well played, sir.
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    25 Dec '10 20:41
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    Firstly, you did not point out any examples of homophobia by Christians. Certainly a number of Christians on this forum morally disapprove of homosexual acts and certainly I know some people on this forum have not diplomatically expressed this view. The instances of homophobia however are few and I suspect you exaggerate here.

Secondly, it is ridiculous ...[text shortened]... ot articulated by any Christian, that deserves criticism. But, hey, you've got your own agenda.
    Can I just say I am definately not homophobic. I think i qualified my comment by saying that this "transition" was a long one and that I was speculating. I would be happy to withdraw my comment, or indeed apologize, if I thought my comment in anyway puts down homosexuality . (Indeed it was my intention was to include all sexuality in this "transition"😉
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    25 Dec '10 20:46
    [b]Perhaps you missed the following:
    "[b]Based on that
    , it seems that Christianity is more a religion of hatred rather than of love."[/b]

I assure you, I did not miss anything. Your generalisation, without any actual examples, is quite ridiculous.

The OP was a call for Christians on this forum to live up to a higher standard than what has bee ...[text shortened]... istians on the whole to comport to a higher standard. I would definitely not put you up there.
    I would put everyone up there. It is you who keeps bringing yourselves back down...
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    25 Dec '10 21:16
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Can I just say I am definately not homophobic. I think i qualified my comment by saying that this "transition" was a long one and that I was speculating. I would be happy to withdraw my comment, or indeed apologize, if I thought my comment in anyway puts down homosexuality . (Indeed it was my intention was to include all sexuality in this "transition"😉
    I didn't call you homophobic per se. Your comments in that thread however might not be construed as homophobic. I imagine another homosexual would be affronted to be called 'a transitional stage in humanity'.
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    25 Dec '10 22:27
    I didn't call you homophobic per se. Your comments in that thread however might not be construed as homophobic. I imagine another homosexual would be affronted to be called 'a transitional stage in humanity'.
    Face facts: My take(s) on life and spirituality are what you would call liberal, and 'all-inclusive'.
    There are people misconstruing statements all over the place, but surely no one else could misconstrue me as a homophobe. They'd have to really be clutching at straws.

I'm quite surprised that you would include me in your little criticism of ToO's OP.
    I often find myself defending homosexuals and women, being neither myself, just because I feel it to be just.

I didn't think you were one of those that took one little comment out of context from the rest of my posting history. The fact that I am defending myself seems ridiculous to me, so I'll refrain and leave you with your right of reply.

Hope you had a nice Xmas day🙂
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Dec '10 22:30
    Face facts: My take(s) on life and spirituality are what you would call liberal, and 'all-inclusive'.
    There are people misconstruing statements all over the place, but surely no one else could misconstrue me as a homophobe. They'd have to really be clutching at straws.

I'm quite surprised that you would include me in your little criticism of ToO's ...[text shortened]... so I'll refrain and leave you with your right of reply.

well well, nice to see Karoly Poly getting a roasting for a change, popcorn anyone 😛
  9. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    25 Dec '10 22:35
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    well well, nice to see Karoly Poly getting a roasting for a change, popcorn anyone 😛
    roast away posters!! (btw, I wouldn't have called that a roasting , but hey...call it what you want)

(you may remember not long ago I started a thread for all to "attack me" so, I will enjoy it , if not anything else. The fact that I and other regular posters are frustrated with some of the exchanges here goes without saying) 🙂
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    25 Dec '10 22:37
    Originally posted by gearies
    Big, big generalisation I'm afraid.
    But, iyo, is it a valid generalization?
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    25 Dec '10 23:03

I'm quite surprised that you would include me in your little criticism of ToO's ...[text shortened]... so I'll refrain and leave you with your right of reply.

There are people misconstruing statements all over the place, but surely no one else could misconstrue me as a homophobe.

Again, I am not calling you a homophobe nor suggesting that you might be construed as one. My criticism is of a particular comment you made. Can't you see how someone might be slighted to be described as transitional and compared to androgyny?
  12. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    26 Dec '10 00:062 edits
    [b]There are people misconstruing statements all over the place, but surely no one else could misconstrue me as a homophobe.

Again, I am not calling you a homophobe nor suggesting that you might be construed as one. My criticism is of a particular comment you made. Can't you see how someone might be slighted to be described as transitional and compared to androgyny?[/b]
    Yes, I can see how someone might misconstrue it. I've admitted it.
    Despite having clarified my comments, I still find it a bit of a stretch that you would actually pursue this.
    You,ve made your point and it comes off as defending christians and putting the "attack" back on the likes of me and Vishva.
    So unless you have something to say along the lines of the op, I reckon we've finished up here, yeah?

BTW, I do think the op had a valid point, and was worth putting out there.
    Surely you are not defending christian homophobes? (I really dont know now)
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Dec '10 00:241 edit
    Yes, I can see how someone might misconstrue it. I've admitted it.
    Despite having clarified my comments, I still find it a bit of a stretch that you would actually pursue this.
    You,ve made your point and it comes off as defending christians and putting the "attack" back on the likes of me and Vishva.
    So unless you have something to say along the l ing out there.
    Surely you are not defending christian homophobes? (I really dont know now)
    i think that if you actually explained your assertion instead of begging off with statements like, it seems ridiculous to me that i need to defend myself, i am liberal and all inclusive, etc etc it might help clarify your stance, for as far as i can see, no such attempt has been made. Conrau made the comparison that there are far more bigoted statements made by others and cited two examples, both made by non Christians and i think its a very valid point, for what does this mean, homosexuality is a transitional state other than that it is an undesirable trait that shall be cast off when one evolves/reaches a higher plane of enlightenment ?
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    26 Dec '10 00:361 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    i think that if you actually explained your assertion instead of begging off with statements like, it seems ridiculous to me that i need to defend myself, i am liberal and all inclusive, etc etc it might help clarify your stance, for as far as i can see, no such attempt has been made. Conrau made the comparison that there are far more bigoted state ...[text shortened]... esirable trait that shall be cast off when one evolves/reaches a higher plane of enlightenment ?
    I explained my assertion.
    But in case you missed it I basically said that it was a long-term speculation on all sexuality, homosexuality included.

I thought there was a general christian thought along the lines of "Jesus is returning" , "the great tribulation is coming", "the earth will be cleansed of evil" ,etc.
    So I thought my comment was in line with that general idea, ie. that there is a great change a comin and that human reltionships will change as a result of it.

In all honesty I hope that I am wrong (with the way I think this change is going to go down), but I'm trying to stay realistic, as I understand it.

Again, I find it silly that you would pursue such a throw away comment such as the one I made, given the context of my posting history, but hey, I cant blame you for trying.

(Poor old Phil Hughes got out for 16.... so please excuse my short explanation, but I am on the edge of my seat again with this bumbling top order 🙁 )
    edit: sure enough Ponting got out while typing this. Stop it Robbie, have compassion for me on this first morning of the boxing day test. 🙂
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Dec '10 14:471 edit
    Perhaps you missed the following:
    "[b]Based on that
    , it seems that Christianity is more a religion of hatred rather than of love."

The OP was a call for Christians on this forum to live up to a higher standard than what has been exhibited.[/b]
    You mean, bend over and accept the paddling with a "Thank you, sir, may I have another?" instead of giving back in kind?

No, thanks.

Sounds like you want a free ride to abuse Christians, simply because they are Christians.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree