Christianity: Religion of love?

Christianity: Religion of love?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
31 Dec 10

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
There have been a number of threads and posts that are Islamophobic or Homophobic in nature. From what I can tell, the vast majority have been posted by Christians and/or supported by Christians. It also seems that the vast majority of those speaking out against such hatred have been non-Christians.

Based on that, it seems that Christianity is more a ...[text shortened]... rather than of love. Many Christians speak about love and forgiveness, yet show their hypocrisy.
We are Christians, that does not mean we are perfect, that means we are forgiven.
Get a grip my friend, you let a few remarks rule your tone. Most of those remarks are either jokes or ignorance.
Happy holidays.

T

Moves
31 Dec 10
1 edit

Originally posted by KellyJay
That is because you do nothing but make the same claim over and over, you
call other people evil and run down an entire body of believers calling them names.
You and I agree that people who call themselves Christians do all the things you
and others have said! Not denying any of that, but you by your name calling are
also guilty of a little hatemongerin ...[text shortened]... ingling out one group out of the
whole as if they were the only ones to do those things.
Kelly
C'mon. This just gets more ridiculous all the time. Now you're just embellishing your misleading accusations and making them all the more misleading. For example, when have I ever called ANYONE "evil"? You also seem to be finally admitting that you've been ignoring my points - your previous denials not withstanding - but now, by some twisted logic, you seem to be claiming that your doing so and the subsequent false denials are somehow justified because I've criticised Christians (most recently those who engage in perpetuating hateful and prejudicial stereotypes of Muslims/Islam and homosexuals/homosexuality). Are you kidding me?

Also, what part of the following didn't you understand?
There have been a number of threads and posts that are Islamophobic or Homophobic in nature. From what I can tell, the vast majority have been posted by Christians and/or supported by Christians. It also seems that the vast majority of those speaking out against such hatred have been non-Christians...As I said, if it were Buddhists, I would have criticised Buddhists. But it wasn't Buddhists. It is what it is.

I don't know how much clearer I could have possibly made it.

Once again, "I guess it was unrealistic to think that some may have an 'aha moment' and come to the realization as to what they were doing...Unfortunately, it seems that there were no 'aha moments' and it seems unlikely that there will be. More's the pity."

T

Moves
31 Dec 10
1 edit

Originally posted by ChessPraxis
We are Christians, that does not mean we are perfect, that means we are forgiven.
Get a grip my friend, you let a few remarks rule your tone. Most of those remarks are either jokes or ignorance.
Happy holidays.
If no one speaks out, how are they to become less ignorant? Also, I'm guessing that you're old enough to realize that "jokes" that perpetuate hateful and prejudicial stereotypes aren't funny except to bigots.

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
31 Dec 10

If no one speaks out, how are they to become less ignorant? Also, I'm guessing that you're old enough to realize that "jokes" that perpetuate hateful and prejudicial stereotypes aren't funny except to bigots.
I only hope you never fall off that high horse.

JWB

Moves
31 Dec 10

People who reject bigotry have their feet on the ground not in stirrups.

rc

Moves
31 Dec 10

Joker: How are you King Wenceslaus

King Wenceslaus : I'm Good

😀

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
31 Dec 10

Originally posted by John W Booth
People who reject have their feet on the ground not in stirrups.
First off, you and ToO obviously have no idea what biogotry even means. They have a new invention to help those who are educationally challenged called a dictionary.

Bigotry: stubborn and complete intolerance of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one's own.

That sounds exactly like ToO, which makes him a hypocrite!

Now go join Lincoln.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
31 Dec 10

C'mon. This just gets more ridiculous all the time. Now you're just embellishing your misleading accusations and making them all the more misleading. For example, when have I ever called ANYONE "evil"? You also seem to be finally admitting that you've been ignoring my points - your previous denials not withstanding - but now, by some twisted logic, you se ...[text shortened]... ere no 'aha moments' and it seems unlikely that there will be. More's the pity."
Why do you feel the need to claim you have threads that show Christians as
Islamophobic or Homophobic in nature? I've not once said those things and far
worse are done by people who call themselves Christian? You justify yourself as
those whose actions you are condemning justify themselves, you are no different!
Kelly

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
31 Dec 10

I agree with you about the jokes and bigots.
Kelly

rc

Moves
31 Dec 10
3 edits

First off, you and ToO obviously have no idea what biogotry even means. They have a new invention to help those who are educationally challenged called a dictionary.

Bigotry: stubborn and complete intolerance of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one's own.

Now go join Lincoln.
What it amounts to is that we cannot tell jokes about the Irish, about Jehovahs Witnesses, about Jews, about Texans, about Christians, anything that is not considered politically correct by the pseudo morality of liberalism. Being partly Irish and a Jehovahs Witness I would consider this a great loss, for i do not attribute anything sinister to such, its simply making mischief. It strikes me that our friend Thinkofone, is rather Calvinistic, if he had his way, he would try to ban dancing and drinking whiskey, claiming that it was the ruination of Scotland!

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
31 Dec 10
1 edit

Now go join Lincoln.
You can call me bigoted when I see entire cultures destroyed by your so-called religion, go ahead, deny that.

You can call me bigoted when I see women not allowed to be in the top ranks of your religion. Go ahead, deny that. How many women popes have there been?

Go ahead and call me bigoted when I see Mormons with 10 wives and said wives are so brainwashed they think there is nothing wrong with that, or the so-called husband raping the next victim, a ten year old girl.

I have no beef with the lower ranks of most religions, my beef is with the upper authorities who set things up so they just by co-incidence are in the best houses, have the best helicopters and make pronouncements on how people should live their lives.

One time listening to short wave radio, I was totally saddened and embarrassed to be an american (now mostly the only english language you hear are bible thumpers, there is one close to us in Pennsylvania). This one dude was saying how christians not babtized in HIS manner should not be allowed to live. To say I was aghast was an understatement. I was instantly furious but could not get a phone number to call in my indignation. Not that it would have done any good. The only other time I was THAT incensed was when I saw a laser light show near the runway of LAX and the 'finale' was to aim a high powered laser right at an incoming 747. If you can imagine such an asinine stunt, possibly blinding the pilot just as he was on final approach. I mean, the laser show assshole aimed the laser right at the cockpit. Well that's the same order of anger I felt when I heard those incendiary words by that mentally deranged short wave preacher.

Also, when I was 8 years old and attending a Lutheran school (K-8th grade) my grandmother, a devout pentacostal, told me, 8 years old, I would be damned in hell if I didn't get baptized in the PENTACOSTAL way, not that wimpy few drops on my head in the dreaded LUTHERAN way. That was an epiphany for me, but not like she thought. It started me on the way to noticing the hypocrisy inherent in the christian church. Like why were all the priests men, while the highest a woman could go was some kind of councilor or womens auxilliary president, but priest? Forget it. Pope? What, are you crazy? But of course you will swear up and down ON your stack of the proper translation of your bibles that women are totally equal in your church.
Just ask them, they will tell you 'We don't WANT the responsibility of leadership'. Yeah right. They are just as duped as you are.

JWB

Moves
31 Dec 10
1 edit

First off, you and ToO obviously have no idea what biogotry even means.
Well I cannot speak for ThinkOfOne, but I had in mind the plethora of "anti" Muslim threads that are started on this web site and the countless bigoted posts that appear on them in amongst the more thoughtful offerings. I wasn't referring to "jokes" about ethnicity or "a few remarks". That's a strawman (and one that I see robbie is employing). I was referring to systematic expression of contempt and - on occasion - what amounts to the effective dehumanization of people of other faiths.

T

Moves
31 Dec 10
2 edits

Originally posted by KellyJay
Why do you feel the need to claim you have threads that show Christians as
Islamophobic or Homophobic in nature? I've not once said those things and far
worse are done by people who call themselves Christian? You justify yourself as
those whose actions you are condemning justify themselves, you are no different!
Kelly
And again you keep ignoring my points. Instead of commenting on them in any meaningful way or asking for clarification, you simply repeat the same misleading accusation over and over again.

You've shown that you're more than willing to take it to the heights of absurdity. Congratulations. You're really something.

You know, if you'd actually try to comprehend my posts, you'd realize that I've already given the reasons for starting this thread (your misleading straw man of a question notwithstanding) - several times in fact. The absurdity of this is truly mindboggling.

T

Moves
31 Dec 10
1 edit

You certainly are a prideful one, aren't you?

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
31 Dec 10

Originally posted by sonhouse
You can call me bigoted when I see entire cultures destroyed by your so-called religion, go ahead, deny that.

You can call me bigoted when I see women not allowed to be in the top ranks of your religion. Go ahead, deny that. How many women popes have there been?

Go ahead and call me bigoted when I see Mormons with 10 wives and said wives are so brain ...[text shortened]... 't WANT the responsibility of leadership'. Yeah right. They are just as duped as you are.
I hear ya...