1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Mar '17 18:31
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    are you saying that God selects some Christians and others he does not?
    That is exactly what the Bible says if you ever bother to get free of the dogmatic clamps that hold your brain in JW mode.

"Many are called but few are chosen" (these are not mutually exclusive groups)

"All who come may"

"For it is god's will that none perish"

"For Christ died for all" (not just a few)

I'll get back with more later. Gotta go for a curry.
  2. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    10 Mar '17 18:581 edit
    Originally posted by divegeester
    That is exactly what the Bible says if you ever bother to get free of the dogmatic clamps that hold your brain in JW mode.

"Many are called but few are chosen" (these are not mutually exclusive groups)

"All who come may"

"For it is god's will that none perish"

"For Christ died for all" (not just a few)

I'll get back with more later. Gotta go for a curry.
    Christians may be chosen,
    But our Divegeester doesn't worry,
    for while Robbie bathes in smugness,
    Dive pops out for a curry.

True story.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Mar '17 21:201 edit
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke

True story.
    You need to go to the East End in London to get a decent Curry, I spent a rather fruitless time once scanning the whole of Noff London in vain for a decent curry house, sure there were lots of Kashmiri jive but for an authentic taste of the Punjab one must go East, Green St to be precise.
  4. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    10 Mar '17 21:45
    You need to go to the East End in London to get a decent Curry, I spent a rather fruitless time once scanning the whole of Noff London in vain for a decent curry house, sure there were lots of Kashmiri jive but for an authentic taste of the Punjab one must go East, Green St to be precise.
    Angel Islington has a good one.
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    10 Mar '17 22:00

True story.
    Just lovely mate..

Robbie you have to admit you come off as smug dude. I would've thought it goes with the (JW) territory (?)
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    10 Mar '17 22:39
    But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for special possession, that you should declare abroad the excellencies of the One who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light - 1 Peter 2:9

Do you feel chosen as a Christian? What are the implications for those not chosen? What are the implications for the chosen? What are the implications for those chosen and later rejected?
    Personally I think there are two types of Christians, the predestined and those with an actual choice. There are those who are the elect, chosen before birth. There are those doomed to hell from before birth. There are those who have a choice.

Percentages? If it is like schools then I'd say....

10 % elect , 10% born to go to hell and 80% choice and are highly influenced by their immediate society.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Mar '17 22:42
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Just lovely mate..

Robbie you have to admit you come off as smug dude. I would've thought it goes with the (JW) territory (?)
    Dude when you are a chosen one its difficult not to be smug. 😵
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Mar '17 22:45
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Personally I think there are two types of Christians, the predestined and those with an actual choice. There are those who are the elect, chosen before birth. There are those doomed to hell from before birth. There are those who have a choice.

10 % elect , 10% born to go to hell and 80% choice and are highly influenced by their immediate society.
    This is pure Calvinism and unsupported in scripture. The idea that you can do nothing to change your alleged fate and are predestined to burn for an eternity in some kind of fiery hell is repulsive to the senses and incongruous with a loving beneficent and merciful God.
  9. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    10 Mar '17 23:03
    This is pure Calvinism and unsupported in scripture. The idea that you can do nothing to change your alleged fate and are predestined to burn for an eternity in some kind of fiery hell is repulsive to the senses and incongruous with a loving beneficent and merciful God.
    How do you know if you are part of the elect?

You might be part of the 80% or the 10% doomed to hell.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Mar '17 23:40
    You do realise that you ignoring me is a futile excessive in religious snobbery that will end in you talking to me. Don't you...?
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Mar '17 23:41

True story.
    Shashlik
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    10 Mar '17 23:42
    How do you know if you are part of the elect?

You might be part of the 80% or the 10% doomed to hell.
    This is pure Calvinism and unsupported in scripture.

Romans 9

6 It is not as though God’s word had failed. For not all who are descended from Israel are Israel. 7 Nor because they are his descendants are they all Abraham’s children. On the contrary, “It is through Isaac that your offspring will be reckoned.”[b] 8 In other words, it is not the children by physical descent who are God’s children, but it is the children of the promise who are regarded as Abraham’s offspring. 9 For this was how the promise was stated: “At the appointed time I will return, and Sarah will have a son.”[c]
    10 Not only that, but Rebekah’s children were conceived at the same time by our father Isaac. 11 Yet, before the twins were born or had done anything good or bad—in order that God’s purpose in election might stand: 12 not by works but by him who calls—she was told, “The older will serve the younger.”[d] 13 Just as it is written: “Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.”[e]
    14 What then shall we say? Is God unjust? Not at all! 15 For he says to Moses,
    “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy,
        and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.”[f]
    16 It does not, therefore, depend on human desire or effort, but on God’s mercy. 17 For Scripture says to Pharaoh: “I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.”[g] 18 Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden.
    19 One of you will say to me: “Then why does God still blame us? For who is able to resist his will?” 20 But who are you, a human being, to talk back to God? “Shall what is formed say to the one who formed it, ‘Why did you make me like this?’”[h] 21 Does not the potter have the right to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for special purposes and some for common use?
  13. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    11 Mar '17 00:55

What are those the percentages for? you're poker game?

According to this , and you combined, we have an overpopulation of hell goers here. lol
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    11 Mar '17 00:571 edit
    Dude when you are a chosen one its difficult not to be smug. 😵
    Yep, that's what I said...

I believe few are chosen because few choose themselves.
    Bringing it back to the individual , the whole idea of spirituality that is. No external influences necessary 😵
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Mar '17 01:43
    [b]This is pure Calvinism and unsupported in scripture.

Romans 9

6 It is not as though God’s word had failed. For not all who are descended from Israel are Israel. 7 Nor because they are his descendants are they all Abraham’s children. On the contrary, “It is through Isaac that your offspring will be reckoned.” 8 In other words, it is not the ch ...[text shortened]... to make out of the same lump of clay some pottery for special purposes and some for common use?
    says nothing about predestination.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree