1. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    31 Oct '05 21:51
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    All of this raises some questions: if I speak in tongues while praying for Ferdie's family to be comforted in their grief, will the Holy Spirit cause me to utter more appropriate prayers? Wouldn't an interpretation be necessary in such a situation so that I realize how deluded I have been?
    Speaking in tongues is the cruise control of daily prayer. Just sit back, relax and let the Holy Spirit pray to himself.
  2. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    31 Oct '05 22:08
    Since he's a goner, how do you advise that we frame our prayers? Should we pray that God accepts his soul in heaven, as the Catholics do? Rather, should we pray that his tormentors die sudden and painful deaths? Should we pray that his martyrdom will transform East Timor into a Christian Kingdom?
    You pray for those that are sinning against him. You pray that he has repented from all his sins, and that he has accepted JESUS CHRIST, all the more.You pray that all those in East Timor, come to accept JESUS CHRIST as their SAVIOR.
  3. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    31 Oct '05 22:16
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    I appologise for hurting your feelings. I am sure God will hear an earnest prayer.
    GOD does not hear or answer Prayers of the unbelievers.
  4. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    31 Oct '05 22:171 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    31 Oct '05 22:22
    The Creator. Who else, silly?

Just because I am fairly certain that the Creator is not a Christian, and indeed am not entirely sure that she or he is even real, does not mean that I have no one to whom I may direct my prayers.

I've prayed all my life, first as a Catholic, then as an Evangelical, and now as a believing agnostic. I've also prayed with ...[text shortened]... do not have the monopoly on prayer. In fact, I doubt they are even as good at it as many others.
    Since GOD/JESUS CHRIST are the Creators, Brothers, and Father of Christians. GOD must believe the WORD OF GOD. That HE has given us to believe.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    31 Oct '05 22:251 edit
    Originally posted by blindfaith101
    GOD does not hear or answer Prayers of the unbelievers.
    Pharisee.

12 And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be humbled; and whosoever shall humble himself shall be exalted.

13 But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because ye shut the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye enter not in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering in to enter.

14 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye devour widows' houses, even while for a pretence ye make long prayers: therefore ye shall receive greater condemnation.

15 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte; and when he is become so, ye make him twofold more a son of hell than yourselves.

Matthew 23:12-15
  7. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    31 Oct '05 22:301 edit

8. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    31 Oct '05 22:40
    All of this raises some questions: if I speak in tongues while praying for Ferdie's family to be comforted in their grief, will the Holy Spirit cause me to utter more appropriate prayers? Wouldn't an interpretation be necessary in such a situation so that I realize how deluded I have been?
    I don't think so. Then God would be violating your free will. What's to keep him from turning everyone's "Goddammit" into a "God forgive me," and ruining the eternal BBQ? If you screw up and pray the wrong prayer that's your fault. God is infinite in his wisdom and mercy and will banish you to hell forever as you rightly deserve for such an oversight.
  9. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    31 Oct '05 22:48

10. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    31 Oct '05 22:49

11. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    31 Oct '05 22:50
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    NO NO NO NO.

Matthew 6:8-13: [b]" Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.
    9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. 10 Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. 11 Give us this day our daily bread. 12 ...[text shortened]... cret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly."

You got served. Punk.[/b]
    There is a saying, "love your friend and hate your enemies", But I say: Love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you!
    MATTHEW 4:43
    Pray for the happiness for those who curse you; implore God's on those who hurt you.
    LUKE 6:28
    Too bad you did not read farther. Or believe what you read.
    Praying for you
  12. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    31 Oct '05 22:51
    You pray for those that are sinning against him. You pray that he has repented from all his sins, and that he has accepted JESUS CHRIST, all the more.You pray that all those in East Timor, come to accept JESUS CHRIST as their SAVIOR.
    How is that prayer going to do anything?

Let's say that some one named Steve lives in East Timor and that Steve does not know JESUS as his LORD and SAVIOR. Now you prayer that Steve will be SAVED.

I think all relevant outcomes can be condensed to the following three cases:

1) Before you prayed Steve was never going to know JESUS. You pray, and God answers by altering Steve's future such that he accepts JESUS.

2) Before you prayed Steve was never going to know JESUS. God chooses not to answer your prayer. Steve continues on his irreversible path to hell.

3) Before you prayed Steve was going to accept JESUS in the future anyway.

So in the first case, God has to override Steve's free will by manipulating circumstances such that Steve decides to choose JESUS. In the second case, your prayer is futile. In the third, your prayer was superfluous.

Why pray this prayer in the first place? Either God violates free will in which case he should save everyone (clearly not happening); or your prayer is worthless.
  13. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    31 Oct '05 23:02

14. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    31 Oct '05 23:22
    Well, to my credit, that's what I had asked originally.

Since he's a goner, how do you advise that we frame our prayers? . . . Should we pray that his martyrdom will transform East Timor into a Christian Kingdom?

To DJ's credit, he was a little less dogmatic in his assent. He also used better English.

Originally posted by dj2becker
    . . . you can pray for his family and friends. I would also pray that his death would touch the hearts of those who beat him to death.

As for praying that he has accepted Jesus, isn't that a fundamental precondition for Christian missionary work?
  15. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    31 Oct '05 23:22
    Originally posted by telerion
    How is that prayer going to do anything?

Let's say that some one named Steve lives in East Timor and that Steve does not know JESUS as his LORD and SAVIOR. Now you prayer that Steve will be SAVED.

I think all relevant outcomes can be condensed to the following three cases:

1) Before you prayed Steve was never going to know JESUS. You pray, and ...[text shortened]... will in which case he should save everyone (clearly not happening); or your prayer is worthless.
    1. GOD knows all that will come to HIM. Therefore GOD knew before Steve was born, that Steve would accept JESUS.
    2. GOD knows all that will never accept HIM. GOD therefore knew before Steve was born , that Steve would reject JESUS.
    3.When mankind is born into this world, we have no knowledge, whether or not we will accept or reject Salvation. We have that Free Choice whether or not we accept JESUS. Everyman gets the chance to make their own choice.
    GOD sent JESUS CHRIST, to offer Salvation to the Jew first. An then to the rest of the world. HE is not going to force anyone to accept that Salvation. If you or anyone else chooses to reject the Saving Power of JESUS CHRIST. That is on you..
    GOD has always been honest about the choices. This life is just a stopping point. Those that chose to believe go on. To be with those that have chosen to believe. Those that chose not to believe go on. To be with those that have chosen not to believe, So the choice is yours.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree