damage to a part of brain=fundamentalism

damage to a part of brain=fundamentalism

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
18 May 17

Originally posted by chaney3
"Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, 'I'm possible"!

Audrey Hepburn
🙂
There is an old Buddhist saying:

'Man who quote Audrey Hepburn, lose argument.'

c

Moves
18 May 17

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
There is an old Buddhist saying:

'Man who quote Audrey Hepburn, lose argument.'
Lol lol.
I'm not even gonna try to come up with something.
That was funny.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
19 May 17

Lol lol.
I'm not even gonna try to come up with something.
That was funny.
To your credit.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
19 May 17

Because I see evidence of creation without having seen the Creator.

That said, I could admit that I have been struggling with knowing for certain that God and/or Jesus are that Creator.

In my opinion, the Bible makes it difficult when trying to understand the character of God.

But this does not sway my view that a Creator exists.
What is that evidence you say you see?

Moves
19 May 17
1 edit

Because I see evidence of creation without having seen the Creator.

That said, I could admit that I have been struggling with knowing for certain that God and/or Jesus are that Creator.

In my opinion, the Bible makes it difficult when trying to understand the character of God.

But this does not sway my view that a Creator exists.
If the Christian Bible is getting in the way of your understanding of the divine, then it is probably fair to surmise that you are not a Christian.

The above is not a criticism, but a pragmatic observation. Clearly you are a 'theist' as appear certain of God's existence. I would use that as a starting point and focus more (for the time being) on leading a good life and looking after yourself and those around you. Perhaps you will, in the future, cross paths again with the Christian faith and be in a better position to receive it.

c

Moves
19 May 17

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
If the Christian Bible is getting in the way of your understanding of the divine, then it is probably fair to surmise that you are not a Christian.

The above is not a criticism, but a pragmatic observation. Clearly you are a 'theist' as appear certain of God's existence. I would use that as a starting point and focus more (for the time being) on ...[text shortened]... he future, cross paths again with the Christian faith and be in a better position to receive it.
Nicely said, thank you.

c

Moves
19 May 17

Originally posted by sonhouse
What is that evidence you say you see?
The human body.
Our bodies are much too complex to have not been created.
Since origin of life is unknown by man, I believe a Creator is responsible.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
20 May 17

The human body.
Our bodies are much too complex to have not been created.
Since origin of life is unknown by man, I believe a Creator is responsible.
But we don't have shark teeth. That is not entirely a joke.

And who runs waste disposal through a recreation area. That was a joke.

Look, there is lots of evidence that nature exists. There is evidence that people believe in hundreds of gods. No evidence that any of those gods actually exist.

Why is your chosen god so mysterious? You have to have wondered about this.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
20 May 17

Originally posted by apathist
But we don't have shark teeth.
Sharks shed their teeth. New teeth grow as needed. That is so superior to primate methods.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
20 May 17

Why is your chosen god so mysterious? You have to have wondered about this.
That is key. Why is this proposed god deist?

c

Moves
20 May 17

That is key. Why is this proposed god deist?
I have a theory:

Let's say that most people are genuinely making an effort to be the best person they can be. Would knowing for certain that a Creator is 'there' help us in our endeavor? Or hurt us?

Maybe we actually need the doubt? Just a theory.

F

Moves
20 May 17
4 edits

Let's say that most people are genuinely making an effort to be the best person they can be. Would knowing for certain that a Creator is 'there' help us in our endeavor?
Clearly, there are Christians (for example) who need "help" of this kind, and no doubt their certainty about there being 'a Creator' is sincere.

What I find interesting (because it seems incoherent to me) is how, according to the convoluted dogma (subscribed to by many of them) they unilaterally declare themselves "forgiven" for not being the best person they can be (and do so because a maverick Jewish rabbi was executed by the Romans 2,000 years ago).

And then they also ~ unilaterally ~ declare themselves "saved" (a.k.a. immortal) ~ regardless of how short they come up in terms of how they live their lives ~ based purely on their "faith" in there being a Creator and their belief in a post-Hebrew folk story and cult of personality about God supposedly walking around on the earth.

Sure, them saying they "know" for certain that a Creator is there might help countless people to live righteous lives, but it is also an elaborate default excuse-mechanism for not living righteous lives (whilst retaining the right to condemn non-believers for thoughtcrimes and the alleged meaningless of their righteous living) for countless others.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
20 May 17
1 edit

I have a theory:

Let's say that most people are genuinely making an effort to be the best person they can be. Would knowing for certain that a Creator is 'there' help us in our endeavor? Or hurt us?

Maybe we actually need the doubt? Just a theory.
Like tossing the kids into the pool to see if they can swim.

A hiding god makes sense. And it gets the finger.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
20 May 17

Originally posted by FMF
Clearly, there are Christians (for example) who need "help" of this kind, and no doubt their certainty about there being 'a Creator' is sincere.

What I find interesting (because it seems incoherent to me) is how, according to the convoluted dogma (subscribed to by many of them) they unilaterally declare themselves "forgiven" for not being the best person they c ...[text shortened]... evers for thoughtcrimes and the alleged meaningless of their righteous living) for countless others.
Are your eyes opening? This is exciting.

c

Moves
20 May 17

Like tossing the kids into the pool to see if they can swim.

A hiding god makes sense. And it gets the finger.
Why is it so important for you to have God reveal Himself?

In the Exodus story, God's presence was with the Israelites day and night, but it didn't matter. Their behavior didn't change.

Maybe His presence is not the issue. You calling it 'hiding', may be missing the point.