1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    15 Feb '18 13:00
    Does "take it to the church" mean, for example that an entire local congregation must hear about the Christians' problem?

I think Christ meant to take it either to the assembly or to those who are overseers in responsibility. They are the elders of the church. But this is not clearly laid out until the book of Acts and in the epistles.

It bears repeating, the local church is not a physical structure any more than the universal church is one.
    Christians need to come BACK from the deception that has blurred the nature of both the universal and the local churches.
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    15 Feb '18 14:04
    Originally posted by @js357
    As if we need yet another issue for Christians to debate.
    Off tap. Lol
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    15 Feb '18 14:07
    Originally posted by @sonship
    Maybe there be no debate and we'll all agree.
    Its possible.
    Its possible that the universe talks to you. Is it plausible ? Well!
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    15 Feb '18 14:11
    Does [b]"take it to the church" mean, for example that an entire local congregation must hear about the Christians' problem?

I think Christ meant to take it either to the assembly or to those who are overseers in responsibility. They are the elders of the church. But this is not clearly laid out until the book of Acts and in the epistles.
    ...[text shortened]... ACK from the deception that has blurred the nature of both the universal and the local churches.[/b]
    You need to retire less the universal winds tip u over. As politely as I can put it
  5. S. Korea
    Moves
    15 Feb '18 14:48
    The church in [b]Matthew 16:18 is universal. She is the unique body of Christ which includes every believer in Christ that has ever or will ever live. She spans ages. Peter, Mary, John, Priscilla, Aquila, Luther, Calvin, Wesley, Darby, Mrs. Barber, Mrs. Penn Lewis, all are members of the church universal.

The church mentioned in Matt. 18:17, ...[text shortened]... ysical structures).

That is a misunderstanding that is no longer, or ever really was, funny.[/b]
    I have intended to tackle this issue at length at some point.

It is an exceptionally difficult question because I do believe that there has to be more qualifications as to what constitutes the Church in the intentions and veins of the original Church.

I recognize anyone who affirms the Nicene Creed as a Christian, and I will honor all Christians who do so, and I will respect their churches and traditions.

But I think that they should want to be within the fold of Orthodoxy.

I am not ready to argue this extensively, though, and that will be one thing that I am going to try to read about more and be prepared to discuss.

It is also noteworthy that we would better handle this by discussing things like sacraments and what role they should play.

More noteworthy, perahps, is that instead of sowing discord with other Christians and Bible believers in some public place, I am more interested in us coming together to win souls for Christ and present the rational, beautiful CHristian faith to others.

So I am not exactly chomping at the bit to get into a b itter discussion on which Church is best, especially in a place that needs Christian apologetics.

Christian apologetics very well delivered by many here who are not Orthodox! And for which I am grateful.
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    15 Feb '18 15:031 edit
    Originally posted by @philokalia
    I have intended to tackle this issue at length at some point.

It is an exceptionally difficult question because I do believe that there has to be more qualifications as to what constitutes the Church in the intentions and veins of the original Church.

I recognize anyone who affirms the Nicene Creed as a Christian, and I will honor all Christians ...[text shortened]... apologetics very well delivered by many here who are not Orthodox! And for which I am grateful.
    The Church is the Body of Christ
    The Body of Christ is his brethren / children of God
    His brethren are all those who love Him
    All who love him are those who follow his commandments.

All who do evil and continue with a life of sin are not his brethren.

Mans classification of church is useless in the eyes of God.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Feb '18 15:06
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    The Church is the Body of Christ
    The Body of Christ is his brethren / children of God
    His brethren are all those who love Him
    All who love him are those who follow his commandments.

All who do evil and continue with a life of sin are not his brethren.

Mans classification of church is useless in the eyes of God.
    Do you agree with ToO that one cannot commit a single sin after accepting Christ and maintain his or her salvation?
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    15 Feb '18 15:15
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    Do you agree with ToO that one cannot commit a single sin after accepting Christ and maintain his or her salvation?
    I answered already but I know that your head has some holes so I will be patient.
    Jesus is the judge of what sins and how many will be forgiven.
    Nobody can claim that all sins are forgiven.
    Not even Paul could have done that because he said
    - people have to wait for the righteous judgment of Christ
    - he himself need to be careful lest he be a castaway.
  9. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    15 Feb '18 15:18
    How do you account for Jesus saying '..go, and sin no more?'

Was that less instructing, more encouraging?
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Feb '18 15:20
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    I answered already but I know that your head has some holes so I will be patient.
    Jesus is the judge of what sins and how many will be forgiven.
    Nobody can claim that all sins are forgiven.
    Not even Paul could have done that because he said
    - people have to wait for the righteous judgment of Christ
    - he himself need to be careful lest he be a castaway.
    So is your answer “Yes,” “No,” or “I don’t know.”

ToO is clear on his position. Why aren’t you? Why retreat into a vague word salad instead of simply answering the question?

If your answer is “I don’t know,” which is what it sounds like based on what you’ve written, just say you don’t know. Or does your foolish and sinful pride prevent you from writing those words?
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Feb '18 15:23
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    How do you account for Jesus saying '..go, and sin no more?'

Was that less instructing, more encouraging?
    We’re talking about whether one loses his or her salvation after accepting Christ if he or she commits a single sin. ToO says they do, I say they don’t and rajk seems not to know.

Of course God doesn’t want us to sin. I’ve never claimed otherwise.
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    15 Feb '18 15:23
    So is your answer “Yes,” “No,” or “I don’t know.”

ToO is clear on his position. Why aren’t you? Why retreat into a vague word salad instead of simply answering the question?

If your answer is “I don’t know,” which is what it sounds like based on what you’ve written, just say you don’t know. Or does your foolish and sinful pride prevent you from writing those words?
    If I say only Jesus knows who is saved.
    Then obviously I do no know.
    Are you that dense?
  13. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    15 Feb '18 15:26
    We’re talking about whether one loses his or her salvation after accepting Christ if he or she commits a single sin. ToO says they do, I say they don’t and rajk seems not to know.

Of course God doesn’t want us to sin. I’ve never claimed otherwise.
    Are you not familiar with Hebrews 10:26?

'For if we go on sinning deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins.'
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Feb '18 15:34

'For if we go on sinning deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins.'
    Yes, and I addressed this point earlier, (though I don’t remember in which thread.)

Paul is telling Christian Jews that they cannot abandon Christianity and the New Covenant and go back to the sacrificial system they knew in Judaism (sacrificing animals to atone for sins.)
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Feb '18 15:35

And “sinning deliberately” is not the same as committing a single sin due to weakness and repenting afterward.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree