1. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    28 Jan '12 12:328 edits
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Again, the infants and young children, not yet at the age of accountability, are incapable of 'repenting' or being evil. I don't have to see the details of their deaths to know that the taking of those lives was wrong.
    Again, the infants and young children, not yet at the age of accountability, are incapable of 'repenting' or being evil. I don't have to see the details of their deaths to know that the taking of those lives was wrong.

I agree that if some infants died they were before the age of accountability.

I think that indications point to God accomodating in the future for certain misfortunes in this life. And vica versa is true too.

Psalm 139 speaks of the Creator seeing every element of our bodies in the ground even before we came together in the womb of our mothers.

"My frame was not hidden from You when I was made in secret, skillfully fashioned in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed substance; And in Your book all of them were written." (Psalm 139:15,16)

And Jesus said that every hair on our head was numbered. The knowledge of the details concerning each of our lives is unimaginably thorough with God.

I am sorry. But the idea of an incompetent and bungling Almighty is just not with me.

You know that CERN laboratory, where they try to detect what is occuring in billionths of a second as they collide atomic particles together ? The Almighty designed what should happen.

From my standpoint the flood looks chaotic. I admit that. I trust that the Almighty had every detail happen that was suppose to happen.
  2. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    28 Jan '12 12:592 edits
    but you are able to appropriately predicate 'good' unto God when His actions appear, in self-same fashion, to be as such (or even when they fail to appear as such, or just, apparently, whenever you feel like it willy nilly)?

I don't deny that there are difficult issues associated with Bible stories.

Just as humanly I am still growing, so spiritually also I am still maturing. In this ongoing development there will be things in the Bible still hard to explain.

Other things seem a lesser challenge to explain. I do not fear those issues which are still difficult to explain.

In the Noah flood God judged the world and started anew with a few He saved. The ark is definitely a type of Christ. The ark is definitely a symbol of the preservation of both man and some animals through the redemption of Christ.

The ark saved Noah from the flood. But the flood saved Noah from the evil world.

The main point is clear. Christ's teaching emphasizes modern man to view the last days before His second coming as like the days of Noah.

Difficult issues may be there. The general tenor and point of the account is still exceedingly useful to the person who has decided to trust in God.
  3. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    28 Jan '12 17:39
    Originally posted by jaywill

The ark saved Noah from the flood. But the flood saved Noah from the evil world.
    no it didn't.

shortly after the "flood" noah takes to the drink and falls into a drunken stupor at which point ham enters.

now we're not sure what transpires in that tent. the bible is kind of ambiguous on the topic. does he just see noah naked as the bible suggests? or did something more sinister happen... maybe ham raped noah? or perhaps he had sex with his mother. whatever the case, it's left up to speculation.

what is known according to the bible narrative is that when noah wakes up, he "knows what ham did to him" (what did he do?). so what does noah do, does he punish ham? nope. he curses all of ham's descendants. nice guy.

so right after supposedly ridding the world of 'evil' which was caused by his own sons coming to earth and raping human women, god didn't manage to cure evil after all. evil began again with the supposed most righteous man that was worth saving.
  4. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    28 Jan '12 18:13
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    okay, that's one thing set aside. this also puts the term "evil" into perspective.

the bible has some conflicting assertions about free will.

in some places, it is suggested that there is free will. in which case, bible-god created the potential of evil.

in other places, it is suggested that things are predetermined. in which case, bible-god i ...[text shortened]... bove are more accurate, it remains that biblegod also causes evil when it suits his purposes.
    Could you show one scripture please that God "caused evil" for me? Make sure you don't get just punishment confused with what this thread is about.
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    28 Jan '12 18:39
    Originally posted by galveston75
    Could you show one scripture please that God "caused evil" for me? Make sure you don't get just punishment confused with what this thread is about.
    Isaiah 45:6-8

King James Version (KJV)

6That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am the LORD, and there is none else.

7I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

8Drop down, ye heavens, from above, and let the skies pour down righteousness: let the earth open, and let them bring forth salvation, and let righteousness spring up together; I the LORD have created it.
  6. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Jan '12 18:40
    Could you stop avoiding all the points made in the thread by demanding exact scriptures. Quoting scripture is for you theists, it is not required for atheists. If you deny that God does what we have said then you need to provide argument to that effect or scripture that clearly shows that we are wrong.
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    28 Jan '12 18:43
    Did you define 'evil'?

In the story of Pharaoh in Exodus, the Bible said that God hardened Pharaoh's heart many times. Had not God done that Pharoah would have softened up and surrendered and let the Jews go much earlier and avoided many of the plagues which killed many in Egypt.

Exo_7:13 And he hardened Pharaoh's heart, that he hearkened not unto them; as the LORD had said.

Exo_9:12 And the LORD hardened the heart of Pharaoh, and he hearkened not unto them; as the LORD had spoken unto Moses.

Exo_10:1 And the LORD said unto Moses, Go in unto Pharaoh: for I have hardened his heart, and the heart of his servants, that I might shew these my signs before him:

Exo_10:20 But the LORD hardened Pharaoh's heart, so that he would not let the children of Israel go.

Exo_10:27 But the LORD hardened Pharaoh's heart, and he would not let them go.

Exo_11:10 And Moses and Aaron did all these wonders before Pharaoh: and the LORD hardened Pharaoh's heart, so that he would not let the children of Israel go out of his land.

Exo_14:8 And the LORD hardened the heart of Pharaoh king of Egypt, and he pursued after the children of Israel: and the children of Israel went out with an high hand.

I think it is clear that God involves himself so that certain ends can be achieved.
  8. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    28 Jan '12 19:13
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Could you stop avoiding all the points made in the thread by demanding exact scriptures. Quoting scripture is for you theists, it is not required for atheists. If you deny that God does what we have said then you need to provide argument to that effect or scripture that clearly shows that we are wrong.
    Sorry but it doesn't work that way.
  9. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    28 Jan '12 19:273 edits
    Originally posted by VoidSpirit
    no it didn't.

shortly after the "flood" noah takes to the drink and falls into a drunken stupor at which point ham enters.

now we're not sure what transpires in that tent. the bible is kind of ambiguous on the topic. does he just see noah naked as the bible suggests? or did something more sinister happen... maybe ham raped noah? or perhaps he ha er all. evil began again with the supposed most righteous man that was worth saving.
    no it didn't.

Of course I am thoroughly acquainted with the happenings after the flood.

Your pessimistic outlook that further and deeper remedies for man should have not been necessary is only typical a skeptic insisting to see only divine failure.

The failure of Noah, the Tower of Babel, the calling of Abraham as head of a called race, and all the other ups and downs of subsequent history do not prove that Noah was not saved from that world.

If you want to read the Bible that way no one can stop you. If you work hard to see everything in the Bible in the bleakest possible skepticism, go ahead. You seem to always be hunting for accusations against the God of the Bible.

In this case the Scriptures own commentary on itself is adaquate:

"God .. did not spare the ancient world but guarded Noah, a herald of righteousness, with seven others, when He brought a flood upon the world of the ungodly." (2 Pet. 2:4)

Interestingly, some scholars understand that the day the ark landed on dry land was the very day in the year that Jesus Christ rose from the dead.

This "coincidence" signals to some of us the providence of God and that the flood and ark are definitely connected to the antitype of the death and resurection of Christ for man's salvation.

now we're not sure what transpires in that tent. the bible is kind of ambiguous on the topic. does he just see noah naked as the bible suggests? or did something more sinister happen... maybe ham raped noah? or perhaps he had sex with his mother. whatever the case, it's left up to speculation.

"And Noah awoke from his wine and learned what his youngest son had done to him." (Genesis 9:24) That is all the details we are given, aside from Ham discovering and talking about his father's situation.

Some translations read younger son. Some read youngEST son. The youngest probably refers to the youngest male descendent mentioned the account. That would be the grandson Canaan as the guilty party.

However, some translate younger son which I suppose could point to Ham. So I have never been entirely decided on which was the one, or both, who had done something to Noah.

The main point here is that no failure of Noah, Ham, Canaan or anyone else means as YOU say that Noah was not SAVED from the wicked world that was drowned in the flood.

what is known according to the bible narrative is that when noah wakes up, he "knows what ham did to him" (what did he do?). so what does noah do, does he punish ham? nope. he curses all of ham's descendants. nice guy.

What is important to me in the story is not the specifics of what was done. I am not hunting for a tabloid scandel here. Though some of the text is not too clear to me, I lean towards a contrast being established between the attitude of Ham verses the attitude of Shem and Japheth.

What happened may be nothing more than what we are told.

The story I think is important to my spiritual walk is about the FAILURE of one in authority. And how this failure became a test and an exposure to those under authority. Two of the parties walked in backwards and COVERED the person in authority. And one seems either to have neglected to or possibly gossiped scandelously about the matter.

The rebellion in man causes him to gloat at the failure of deputy authority. Whenever you hear people share juicy secrets about the boss in the office, whenever you hear people gloat and express glee at the falling down of a leader you may be reminded of this incident.

The heart of the God seeker should be to cover the failures of one in authority. When your parents, your boss, your teacher, your mayor or governor or professor or president or ANYONE in some position of authority over you FAILS, it the proper attitude is not to rejoice or gloat or scandelize. The godly person will seek to cover the failure of leadership.

It is the position that is respected. The mistakes and failure of one in authority often is a test to the God seeking person. The reaction in the heart is on test. In this incident the two brothers who walked in backwards so as not to see the nakedness of Noah and sought to cover up his shame, were in the proper spirit.

With the way people today talk about their leaders, even when they have legitimate realizations of thier fallings is an exposure to the insubordination and rebellion hiding out in their hearts.

so right after supposedly ridding the world of 'evil' which was caused by his own sons coming to earth and raping human women, god didn't manage to cure evil after all. evil began again with the supposed most righteous man that was worth saving.

I didn't say the word was ridded of evil. I said Noah was saved from that evil age and that judged generation. I have never thought that Genesis 9 was a more appropriate conclusion to the Bible than Revelation 21 and 22.

In the progressive revelation of the Bible the end of the flood of Noah is not meant to be the consumation of God's purpose.
  10. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    28 Jan '12 19:44
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Did you define 'evil'?

In the story of Pharaoh in Exodus, the Bible said that God hardened Pharaoh's heart many times. Had not God done that Pharoah would have softened up and surrendered and let the Jews go much earlier and avoided many of the plagues which killed many in Egypt.

[quote]Exo_7:13 And he hardened Pharaoh's heart, that he hearkened not ...[text shortened]... e]

I think it is clear that God involves himself so that certain ends can be achieved.
    Well some versions of the Bible doe use those words but many don't. Some use the word God 'let" his heart be hard or "remain" hard.
    This already was the Pharaoh's mind set and already his heart condition as history shows just for the fact he used the Isrealite as slaves.
    Jehovah already knew this and knew what to expect when he was going to make this way out to freedom for his people.
    So one could say he did make his heart hard but only in the sense that he did not change the heart condition of Pharaoh, but he let him remain the person he was and that was a very hard and cruel person.

And yes Jehovah did use this as an opportunity to demonstrate his great power by using these 10 examples of his abilities. (Ex 7:3-5, 14–11:10) Jehovah could have simply blocked all abilities by the Egytians to stop his people and they could have simply walked away, but this was a time Jehovah showed his power to all.
    This was not only to show this power then but for any future nations that would challenge his people and it should be a warning for all of us today of what he can do at armegeddon.
  11. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    28 Jan '12 19:45
    Originally posted by KellyJay

King James Version (KJV)

6That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am the LORD, and there is none else.

7I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

8Drop down, ye heavens, from above, and let the skies pour dow ...[text shortened]... hem bring forth salvation, and let righteousness spring up together; I the LORD have created it.
    So the answer to the thread's question is clearly "yes".

*** THREAD CLOSED ***
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Jan '12 20:06
    Sorry but it doesn't work that way.
    Well you started the thread. It was quite clear that you were responding to an atheists opinion and hoping for clarification and comments from others. If all you want is people agreeing with you, or quoting the Bible at you, then go to your own Church and look there. Here, you can expect criticism and rational argument (and a whole lot of nonsense from some quarters).
  13. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    28 Jan '12 20:10
    Originally posted by KellyJay

King James Version (KJV)

8Drop down, ye heavens, from above, and let the skies pour dow ...[text shortened]... hem bring forth salvation, and let righteousness spring up together; I the LORD have created it.
    In what sense can it be said that Jehovah creates evil?

Certainly not in the sense of his creating wickedness or moral badness, for it is utterly impossible for him to do anything wrong. “It is impossible for God to lie.” We are assured, “Good and upright is Jehovah: therefore will he instruct sinners in the way.” Addressing him the psalmist stated: “Righteousness and justice are the foundation of thy throne: lovingkindness and truth go before thy face.” And Moses sang of this theme: “For I will proclaim the name of Jehovah: ascribe ye greatness unto our God. The Rock, his work is perfect; for all his ways are justice: a God of faithfulness and without iniquity, just and right is he.”—Deut. 32:3, 4; Ps. 25:8; 89:14, AS; Heb. 6:18, NW.

Yes, Jehovah is very jealous for his name as a God of justice. That is why when Abraham, in connection with the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah, asked, “Shall not the judge of the whole earth himself act justly?” Jehovah was willing to grant Abraham’s plea if but ten righteous persons were to be found in those cities. (Gen. 18:20-33, AT) Throughout the Scriptures, from Genesis to Revelation, Jehovah appeals to our reason and explains his reasons for executing his judgments so that we may have unshaken confidence in his justice. Particularly is this apparent in the prophecies of Isaiah, Jeremiah and Ezekiel.—Isa. 1:2-20; 24:1-5; Jer. 16:10-13; 22:1-9; Ezek. 6:1-10; 22:1-16.

Jehovah, however, can be said to create evil, because the term “evil” can be used to designate not only “moral badness or offense; wrongdoing; wickedness”, but also “anything impairing happiness or welfare or depriving of good; injury; disaster”. (Webster’s Unabridged Dictionary) In view of the foregoing scriptures showing that Jehovah is just and righteous we must conclude that the evil that he creates must be that of calamity and disaster.

The two uses of this term are to be seen in the following prophecy, wherein Jehovah told that he would bring evil or calamity upon Israel because of their evil or wicked course. Moses said: “For I know that after my death you will be sure to act perniciously, and swerve from the way that I appointed you; and in after days evil will befall you, because you will be doing what is evil in the sight of the LORD.” Note also the same in the following, which records a fulfillment of this prophecy. “Then the Israelites did what was evil in the sight of the LORD, by serving the Baals and forsaking the LORD. Then . . . the hand of the LORD was against them for evil, as the LORD had declared.”—Deut. 31:29; Judg. 2:11, 14, 15, AT.
    Watchtower....
  14. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    28 Jan '12 20:16
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Well you started the thread. It was quite clear that you were responding to an atheists opinion and hoping for clarification and comments from others. If all you want is people agreeing with you, or quoting the Bible at you, then go to your own Church and look there. Here, you can expect criticism and rational argument (and a whole lot of nonsense from some quarters).
    I'm looking for everyones opinions and thoughts, not just yours.
  15. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    28 Jan '12 20:33
    i could show many such scriptures, and some of them have been discussed in this forum, but none are necessary. biblegod himself confesses to it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree