1. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    18 Jun '15 23:45
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Yes.

"Why do you reject God?"

I know from whence I speak, because it was my thread.
    Because I HATE your god (that I simultaneously completely fail to believe exists) - HATE him more than I hate those goody-two shoes who keep telling me to stop worshiping the devil. I wish your measly god was dead ... I shall join forces with Lucifer himself and watch as the trident-tailed one slays your god on the plains of Megido, surrounded by his dying angels ... and I shall laugh!

Just kidding! I merely reject your god (or should i say the notion of your god) on the grounds that it is too silly to exist.
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    18 Jun '15 23:51
    Yes.

"Why do you reject God?"

That is a loaded question or complex question fallacy.

"A loaded question or complex question fallacy is a question which contains a controversial or unjustified assumption (e.g., a presumption of guilt).
    Loaded question - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia"

Another example is, "Why did you beat your spouse?"

A reasonable reply is, "What makes you think I beat my spouse?

So, to your question, the non-theist should be expected to reply, why do you think I reject God?

That would open up the dialogue to a potentially satisfactory understanding.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Jun '15 00:00

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    19 Jun '15 00:132 edits
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    "And what's supposed to be so bad about 'rejecting God'?"

A relevant question.

1 Thessalonians
    7 "For God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy life.
    8 Therefore, anyone who rejects this instruction does not reject a human being but God, the very God who gives you his Holy Spirit."

So rejecting this instruction, and not living a holy life, is rejecting God.

To use your terminology, is "not living a holy life" "bad"?

Unloads the question a bit. It would be a fair reply, if not an "answer."
  5. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    19 Jun '15 00:24
    And yet you refuse to answer his question. Are you afraid? Was it a 'ploy'?
    Is this your attempt at wit?

What specific question do believe I'm not answering? Unlike you, I won't run from it And will answer it directly.
  6. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    19 Jun '15 00:25
    Yes.

"Why do you reject God?"

Because he's not real.

Next?
  7. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Jun '15 00:25
    Originally posted by vivify
    You don't know that YOUR god is the source of this"consciousness". That's where your whole argument falls apart.
    Are you saying you know what I know and don't know.
  8. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    19 Jun '15 00:30
    Originally posted by Dasa
    Are you saying you know what I know and don't know.
    I'm saying I have logical, evidenced and objective reasons for what I believe. You don't.
  9. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Jun '15 00:55
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Denying the truth wont change it.

Evolution is real, verified, fact.

I didn't sidestep the question, I corrected your factual mistakes.

What you claim is not fact, but fiction.

I will talk about whatever I want to talk about, with or without your 'permission'.
    In this case you asked about minds and consciousness which are emergent phenomena ...[text shortened]... y
    deeply unpleasant excuse for a human being.
    I consistently hope you get permanently banned.
    You are angry because your evolution has been defeated.

Talking about nerves is simply a side tracking device.

So Dear Sir.............where does consciousness and awareness come from.

Answer is.............consciousness and awareness is a symptom of the life giving soul, and is an eternal spiritual cognitive phenomena, directly associated with the Supreme Lord Bhagavan Sri Krsna.

Consciousness and awareness are not constructed of mundane matter.

Poking someones brain with a probe, and then watching a person say their foot is itchy, is not knowing about consciousness......(its just poking someones brain)

The atheistic scientist shall never/ever understand the mysteries of consciousness..............because they don't have a clue to what it is and how it is formed.
  10. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Jun '15 01:00
    I'm saying I have logical, evidenced and objective reasons for what I believe. You don't.
    You do not.

In reality you have a carefully conceived theory to support your atheism, but the theory is simply manufactured nonsense with zero evidence.

In a Supreme Court evolution would be found guilty because circumstantial evidence would be rejected.

Science only has circumstantial evidence.

Please read " Forbidden Archaeology"😉 by M. Cremo.
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    19 Jun '15 01:32
    Yes.

"Why do you reject God?"

For the umpteenth time!
    For the same reason you reject the FSM.
  12. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    19 Jun '15 03:53
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    very eloquent, very thoughtful
  13. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    19 Jun '15 06:091 edit
    Originally posted by Dasa
    No no no no.................In truth apples have always come from apple trees>Sir

You have cleverly side stepped the question.

We know nerves exist.............they are just pathways.

Nerves are not consciousness or mind. (stop talking about nerves please.)

AND AGAIN.................Where does consciousness and mind come from?
    Your question is impossible to answer if you don't define what you mean by consciousness, and I suspect that what you mean includes a woo-woo factor, essentially rendering any natural explanation a no-no, for you.

If consciousness is not an emergent property of brain activity, but its very own thing (like an apple), where is it anchored? How come it follows your body around? Point to that location so we can look at it through the microscope (or whatever scientific instrument seems appropriate).

No, I'm pretty sure that whatever you mean by consciousness and mind (are they two different things, by the way?), they're best explained as emergent properties of brain activity.

If you ask the question without first declaring exactly what consciousness is, you're commiting the complex question fallacy. You're assuming that whatever definition of consciousness you have in your mind, is the one and only way to understand the concept, and that we should all therefore stand speechless as your question sinks in and we realise that there IS no natural explanation for your woo-woo consciousness, because it's woo-woo by its very definition. Brilliant strategy.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Jun '15 08:133 edits
    Because he's not real.

Next?
    He is not real to you, that does not mean that he is not real to other people, again why you think that your own perspective is the defacto standard maybe a good place to start. Its echoed here by many other atheists as well, Agers, googlefudge, twithead to name but a few. (I apologise if I have missed anyone)

Perhaps that might be a pertinent question, why do atheists have trouble accepting that other people have a different perspective/reality than themselves and that their perspective is not the ultimately definitive stance. For if all we have is an evaluation with the mind then surely one must accept that as individuals we shall have individual perspectives as we ourselves are somewhat unique in they way we perceive life?

I think that atheists should accept the fact that theirs is an intellectual stance for which they have little or no compelling evidence (the existence or non existence of God which cannot be proven or disproven) and should simply accept that its a perspective like any other and not that an appealing one either.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Jun '15 08:341 edit
    Yes.

"Why do you reject God?"

Why do I reject god. Because religions were invented by men. ALL religions, except the ones in the past, like the Minoans, invented by women. It is like the argument about the Egyptian Pyramids, men are WAY to stupid to have ever built something as magnificent and long lasting as the pyramids. Therefore ALIENS ARE REAL and they came down with nothing better to do than to help stupid mankind build a huge monument to one inflated ego of a Pharaoh.

So in the same light, the religious try to say mankind is too stupid to have ever come up with something so sublime as the bible. THEREFORE, god exists and IT helped write it. Even if it contains contradictions, even if Leviticus is included in the bible, you get to cherry pick which books of the bible you believe in.

BECAUSE religions are made by men and women, there are literally thousands of them.

Each one touting their own as THE TRUE religion and ALL others are fails, or from some devil or other.

So the result is these man made religions just point to alleged words of a god saying it is DEMANDED you go out to that village and rape, pillage, kill everyone because my god says so.

Sure. A god, capable of thinking in entire universes, is going to have a little fun telling THIS bunch that THAT bunch is evil because they worship potato's or some such.

Sure, it could happen. In a pigs ass it could. A real god, telling humans to kill other humans in its name? Call me arrogant, pull the 'so now you know the mind of god' card, which you religious folk pull all the time, saying YOU know the mind of god because it is written in the bible. Humans created god in their own image, not the other way round.

So I calmly await the flood of biblical verses in the vain attempt to prove me wrong.

Sure, humans saying they know god. Sure, and I have a GREAT bridge for sale in Salem Mass, right next to where the witches were burned because they were accused of witchery or adultery or whatever else the misogynistic pathetic males of the time came up with or the true witches, the women that accused the other women because they thought their dress was better than theirs. Such spiritually evolved people.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree