1. London
    Moves
    27 May '05 11:101 edit
    Given how this seems to be a favourite of the anti-Bible brigade, I decided to look at some commentaries. The following ones, in particular, seem interesting, not least because it delves into the Hebrew words used in the passage and how translations (particularly the KJV) might have got the message wrong:

http://www.christiancourier.com/archives/elishaBear.htm
    http://www.stlukesrec.org/sermons99/18trin99.html

The key message being that the KJV wrongly translated the Hebrew word(s) for "young lad" into "little children". Elsewhere in the Bible, the same word is used to refer to Rehoboam when he ascended the throne of Israel - at the age of 41!

LH
  2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    27 May '05 17:12
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Given how this seems to be a favourite of the anti-Bible brigade, I decided to look at some commentaries. The following ones, in particular, seem interesting, not least because it delves into the Hebrew words used in the passage and how translations (particularly the KJV) might have got the message wrong:

http://www.christiancourier.com/archives/el ...[text shortened]... ord is used to refer to Rehoboam when he ascended the throne of Israel - at the age of 41!

LH
    The age of the mockers doesn't matter. It is still unjust to condemn someone to death for a verbal taunt. The punishment doesn't fit the crime.
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    27 May '05 17:24

http://www.christiancourier.com/archives/el ...[text shortened]... ord is used to refer to Rehoboam when he ascended the throne of Israel - at the age of 41!

LH
    Boy there's sure a lot of "mistranslations" in the Bible; how can you have any confidence in any of it? Please find me ANY translation of the Bible that suggests that these weren't, at most, young teenagers: every version I can find uses the word "lads" or "youths" or "boys" - usually preceded by either "young" or "small" or "little". Those kids learnt a lesson not to call a guy "baldy", huh; maybe God has a bit of the hair loss himself and is a bit touchy!
  4. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    27 May '05 17:24

LH
    this is from the JPS

And he went up from thence unto Beth-el; and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him: 'Go up, thou baldhead; go up, thou baldhead.'
    And he looked behind him and saw them, and cursed them in the name of HaShem. And there came forth two she-bears out of the wood, and tore forty and two children of them.
  5. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    27 May '05 20:402 edits
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    this is from the JPS

And he went up from thence unto Beth-el; and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him: 'Go up, thou baldhead; go up, thou baldhea ...[text shortened]... bears out of the wood, and tore forty and two children of them.
    -Why she-bears and not just bears ?
    Maybe this aspect points us in the direction of a correct interpretation.
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    27 May '05 21:06
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    Everybody knows the gals are a lot meaner, esp. when they just woke up after "hibernating". I interpret it to mean that OT Monster God has an awful temper and I wouldn't want my 4 year old grandson around him. How do you interpret it, Ivanhoe?
  7. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    27 May '05 21:39
    It could be that God has wolfpack tendencies.
  8. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    27 May '05 22:06
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    He does have a Chosen People and complete disregard for those who aren't with him.
  9. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    27 May '05 22:081 edit
    You stated more than once you are not on the debating forums to debate seriously but merely to amuse yourself and your friends.

This way it is impossible to debate anything at all in a serious way.

Have fun with your friends.

I'll howl because debate is more or less impossible this way ..... and look how you and your friends will respond.

Hóóóóóóóóóóóóóówl ..........

10. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    27 May '05 22:101 edit
    Why 42 children rather than some other number? Normally the numbers used in the OT have metaphorical significance.
  11. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    27 May '05 22:12
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Why 42 children rather than some other number? Normally the numbers used in the OT have metaphorical significance.
    If the Bible holds the answer to all questions, then 42 must be in there somewhere, mustn't it?
  12. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    27 May '05 22:16
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    If the Bible holds the answer to all questions, then 42 must be in there somewhere, mustn't it?
    Indeed, if the Bible contains answers to questions concerning life, the universe, and everything.
  13. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    27 May '05 22:20
    You stated more than once you are not on the debating forums to debate seriously but merely to amuse yourself and your friends.

This way it is impossible to debate anything at all in a serious way.

Have fun with your friends.

I'll howl because debate is more or less impossible this way ..... and look how you and your friends will respond.

Hóóóóóóóóóóóóóówl ..........

What about that passage did you want to debate in a serious way?

What I said may seem callous to you , but I can assure you that God's wolfpack tendencies are nothing to be cavelier about. I simply said that perhaps God has some wolfpack tendencies. Why are you focusing on me instead of #1 who has clearly articulated this more vehemently than me?
  14. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    27 May '05 22:231 edit
    What about that passage did you want to debate in a serious way?

What I said may seem callous to you , but I can assure you that God's wolfpack tendencies are nothing to be cavelier about. I simply said that perhaps God has some ...[text shortened]... ad of #1 who has clearly articulated this more vehemently than me?
    I do not read all of No1's posts anymore.
  15. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    27 May '05 22:25
    I do not read all of No1's posts anymore.
    Since when?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree