Embarrassment to Christians

Embarrassment to Christians

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R

Moves
11 Mar 12

Just out of curiosity...I haven't been on these forums much. What's this that I keep hearing about chess engines and percentages?

F

Moves
11 Mar 12

Originally posted by Ringwraith
Just out of curiosity...I haven't been on these forums much. What's this that I keep hearing about chess engines and percentages?
People who cheat by using software to win some/all their chess games. The percentages refer to match-ups with patterns of computerized play which differ from human play - even high quality human play. Using "engines" is specifically forbidden by the TOS (Terms Of Service). The web site used to give cheats short shrift and ban them, but it seems to no longer be a priority, which is OK I think as long as they don't punish people for discussing it, and exposing cheats - which is something they used to do (and fair enough it was too, at that time), back when the perpetrators were investigated and expelled from the site without excessive delay.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
11 Mar 12

Originally posted by Proper Knob
The process is supposedly flawed yet you then state -

I do not have access to your evaluation process so how should I know.

You don't know how the data is evaluated yet it is flawed simply because someone else said so. 🙄🙄 Do you actually think before you type?

Later on today i'll be posting a full 20 game analysis of a ...[text shortened]... site, he asked me if i could run a check on him. His percentages fall well within the limits.
I meant your evaluation process of the data produced is flawed because the
data shows 65% match in a total of 20 of my best games. That is like saying
someone cheated on a test by getting a "D" grade in school. This sounds to me
like "head up arse." I have no idea of how you get the data for your evaluation.
Perhaps that is flawed too.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
11 Mar 12
1 edit

Originally posted by Ringwraith
Proper Knob and I have had strong disagreements on evolution vs. creation.
So he has resorted to attacking me as cheating on my chess games by using
a chess engine, probably because he has been unable to win the argument
that evolution is fact.

P.S. In his opinion, anyone that doesn't believe that evolution is a fact is a
mental moron.

F

Moves
11 Mar 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
that evolution is fact.
The engine use data was about your chess games not about evolution.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
11 Mar 12

I meant your evaluation process of the data produced is flawed because the
data shows 65% match in a total of 20 of my best games. That is like saying
someone cheated on a test by getting a "D" grade in school. This sounds to me
like "head up arse." I have no idea of how you get the data for your evaluation.
Perhaps that is flawed too.
The data showed a 65% matchup for the top choice engine move, your top 3 matches were around the 92%. When you consider that every chess world champion, and every correspondence world champion and even todays modern super GM's struggled to get above 85% something is amiss. Couple that with your claim that you are really only about 1500 OTB and your limited chess knowledge you have presented in the chess only forum. It doesn't stack up. It should be noted also that three independent people have come up with almost exactly the same results.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
11 Mar 12

that evolution is fact.

P.S. In his opinion, anyone that doesn't believe that evolution is a fact is a
mental moron.
😴

F

Moves
11 Mar 12

Proper Knob [...] resorted to attacking me as cheating on my chess games by using a chess engine, probably because he has been unable to win the argument
that evolution is fact.
You say you are 68 and yet your 'defence' is adolescent. As everyone here knows, Proper Knob enjoys discussing evolution with fundamentalist Christians and has been doing it contentedly for as long as I can remember. To most 'neutrals' he runs rings around you in debate time and time again. You do not have to agree with me on that, but it is relevant to what his motivation is. He probably enjoys discussing it with more erudite and challenging opponents than you, but you're often the one fighting the creationist corner. So, he has no reason to "resort" to anything.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
11 Mar 12
1 edit

The data showed a 65% matchup for the top choice engine move, your top 3 matches were around the 92%. When you consider that every chess world champion, and every correspondence world champion and even todays modern super GM's struggled to get above 85% something is amiss. Couple that with your claim that you are really only about 1500 OTB and your limit d also that [b]three independent people have come up with almost exactly the same results.[/b]
But if I were to take a test which is multiple choice and there were more than
on correct answer in the choices, which sometimes happens on these multple
choice tests, I would be graded wrong unless I selected the best choice. Don't
you see a flaw in your grading system? It is certainly different from any that I
know of. And it appears you are also grading on a curve system. Surely, you
will admit that. 😏

V

Moves
11 Mar 12

you see a flaw in your grading system? It is certainly different from any that I
will admit that. 😏
Surely you're not suggesting that all chess engines are completely identical? The only way you could get a 100% match up rate would be if you used the same engine with a similar configuration.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
11 Mar 12

will admit that. 😏
What you are failing to grasp, again, is that humans don't play like computers. We can't make the calculations they can, therefore our play is different. It has been shown time and time again that the best human players ever, CC and OTB, don't match up wit computers when compared over a large sample.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
11 Mar 12

Originally posted by Vartiovuori
Surely you're not suggesting that all chess engines are completely identical? The only way you could get a 100% match up rate would be if you used the same engine with a similar configuration.
There you go, another flaw. Chess engines are not identical. That brings up
another problem in proving chess engine usage. Which engine?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
11 Mar 12
2 edits

What you are failing to grasp, [b]again, is that humans don't play like computers. We can't make the calculations they can, therefore our play is different. It has been shown time and time again that the best human players ever, CC and OTB, don't match up wit computers when compared over a large sample.[/b]
I see that you are going to be just as hard to reason with on this as you are on
evolution vs. creation and probably anything else. You must be right, because you are Proper Knob.

P.S. You apparently are failing to grasp that humans program the computers
to think like humans and some humans can beat computer chess engines at
times.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
11 Mar 12

I see that you are going to be just as hard to reason with on this as you are on
evolution vs. creation and probably anything else. You must be right, because you are Proper Knob.

P.S. You apparently are failing to grasp that humans program the computers
to think like humans.
Is this a wind up?! What reasoning have you done? All you have resorted to when you can't answer any of my points is the usual 'evolutionary' line.

Do you understand that humans don't play like computers? A simple yes or no will suffice.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
11 Mar 12

There you go, another flaw. Chess engines are not identical. That brings up
another problem in proving chess engine usage. Which engine?
The only flaw is in your brain. You have been found to be an 'idiotic engine user' by both Houdini and Rybka.