Eternal suffering?  Or eternal death?

Eternal suffering? Or eternal death?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
11 May 17
1 edit

Originally posted by chaney3
I agree with this.
But is it correct?

Jesus has warned that if we are not obedient, then hell is where we go.

This issue is confusing me, and I should be able to share this confusion here.
Perhaps you are confused, perhaps not, who knows.

You demanded clarification asking:
"did Jesus say in his own words that belief in him is enough?"

John 6: 47
Very truly I (Jesus) tell you, the one who believes has eternal life.

I've given you the scripture where he said it and you are ignoring it. Why is that?

Moves
11 May 17

Wishful thinking on my part.

Too many Bible verses exist, in the words of Jesus, that conflict with His own statement that 'belief' is enough for salvation.
So now you are going to downshift into your "the bible is bullshlt" stance?

c

Moves
11 May 17

Originally posted by divegeester
So now you are going to downshift into your "the bible is bullshlt" stance?
If your focus is combat, I am not interested.

You have provided a Bible verse where Jesus states that belief is enough.

Jesus ALSO said other things.

Can we agree that Jesus said other things?

Moves
11 May 17
1 edit

How has me providing you with the scripture you demanded changed or impacted your view?

F

Moves
11 May 17

Too many Bible verses exist, in the words of Jesus, that conflict with His own statement that 'belief' is enough for salvation.
So why do think divegeester is going to "clear it up" for you?

C
It is what it is

Pretoria

Moves
11 May 17

Originally posted by divegeester
And yet here you are...
Not any more. It was a mistake.

Enjoy your self-inflicted misery!

C
It is what it is

Pretoria

Moves
11 May 17

Before signing out again, I do owe FMF a reply.

The "babies" that you throw out is the entire larger and immensely satisfying and comforting concept of spirituality in its broadest concept.

Christ (the Cosmic Christ, not Jesus of Nazareth) is far larger than merely Christianity. He appears everywhere and anywhere. But that is a subject not appropriate for this thread, and one that will most certainly be attacked and ridiculed by the Fundamentalists and Literalists on this site who revel in exclusion and "my view is the only correct one".

So farewell again, I have enjoyed our infrequent jousts, though.

In peace

CJ

T

Moves
11 May 17

If your focus is combat, I am not interested.

Taking the teachings of Jesus while He walked the Earth as a whole, one must KEEP His word (commandments) for "eternal life" / the Kingdom of God.

Perhaps the most prevalent theme of what Jesus taught while He walked the Earth, is the importance of His word:
Understanding His word.
Not just understanding His word, but believing His word.
Not just believing His word, but following His word.
Not just following His word, but keeping His word.

Or if you want to look at it the other way around:
To keep His word, one must follow His word.
To follow His word, one must believe His word.
To believe His word, one must understand His word.

Within that context, what does it mean to "believe" Jesus? To "believe in" Jesus?

Those who keep the word of Jesus, truly "believe in" Jesus.

Those who do not keep the word of Jesus, do not truly "believe in" Jesus - no matter how much they may claim otherwise.

When Jesus spoke of "belief in Him" while He walked the Earth it was:
1) Belief that He was speaking the will of God
2) Belief in those words in and of themselves.
Belief that results in not only following His word, but KEEPing His word.

He was not speaking of believing in "salvation via atoning sacrifice" which is what is being sold by many Christians.

F

Moves
11 May 17

Originally posted by CalJust
Christ (the Cosmic Christ, not Jesus of Nazareth) is far larger than merely Christianity. He appears everywhere and anywhere.
I don't deny it for one moment. But I see it a matter of culture ~ a mish mash of geography, history, anthropology, psychology, sociology etc. that alters and varies wherever you go. I haven't 'escaped' from Jesus/Christianity - the culture thing - at all, and I don't feel the need to. It's all around me. I am lodged within it. It's not a problem for me in any way.

F

Moves
11 May 17

The "babies" that you throw out is the entire larger and immensely satisfying and comforting concept of spirituality in its broadest concept.
If I indulge myself with my self-modified definition of "spirituality" ~ (Thread 166277 What is spirituality?) ~ I most certainly do the find domain "immensely satisfying". I don't think any real or relevant "babies" have been thrown out with the bathwater of my former faith.

C
It is what it is

Pretoria

Moves
11 May 17

Originally posted by FMF
. I don't think any real or relevant "babies" have been thrown out with the bathwater of my former faith.
In that case I have misjudged you and apologise unreservedly.

Maybe you and I do have more things in common than meets the eye.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
11 May 17

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
Taking the teachings of Jesus while He walked the Earth as a whole, one must KEEP His word (commandments) for "eternal life" / the Kingdom of God.

Perhaps the most prevalent theme of what Jesus taught while He walked the Earth, is the importance of His word:
Understanding His word.
Not jus ...[text shortened]... f believing in "salvation via atoning sacrifice" which is what is being sold by many Christians.
I would agree with this. Belief has to be defined properly. Professing belief with your mouth is not sufficient for eternal life otherwise God is mocked. Belief which comes from within includes obedience as Jesus said dozens of times.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
11 May 17
1 edit

Christ (the Cosmic Christ, not Jesus of Nazareth) is far larger than merely Christianity. He appears everywhere and anywhere. But that is a subject not appropriate ...[text shortened]... ect one".

So farewell again, I have enjoyed our infrequent jousts, though.

In peace

CJ
While I think, judging from what you say, we have some common beliefs about Christ and Christianity, I admire some of these belief which you hold. However, I dont see how and why people feel the need to badmouth an entire community of posters, just because of disagreements with a few. Several people have done it over the 12 years I have been here. This habit some have of dropping in and passing along a few insults, to me looks like they are the ones with personal issues to sort out. There is nothing wring with posters around here. Something is wrong with YOU if you stay to the point where your are fedup and disgusted. YOU have overstayed. YOU fix that. Here is a hint ..when I feel the need I just drop out of sight for a few months and then return... as many people know.

c

Moves
11 May 17

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne

Understanding His word.
Not jus ...[text shortened]... f believing in "salvation via atoning sacrifice" which is what is being sold by many Christians.
Belief.

Your view of this word requires actions, a concept that makes you unpopular.

In our past discussions, you provided scripture where Jesus demands that we follow, or keep His words.

These discussions, along with the Bible verses has made me re-think what that term "belief in Jesus" really means, because it could certainly then, modify what John 3:16 is actually saying.

Moves
11 May 17

Not any more. It was a mistake.

Enjoy your self-inflicted misery!
Good riddance.