Ever Been Very Near Death?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Child of the Novelty

San Antonio, Texas

Moves
19 Mar 14

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
[b]Ever Been Very Near Death?
At 14 I was walking down a street when a man in a trenchcoat walked up to me and said "I'm going to blow your brains out". I laughed and said "No you're not". We struggled and I remember both of us going over some hedges. I was a bloody mess and still have a scar on the left side of my head from the shotgun.
In the mid-seventies I was hitchhiking near Carmel, Calif. when a very well dressed man driving a blue Mercedes stopped and asked me if I wanted lunch. I said yes and he drove to his parents house (a mansion) and while he was handing me a bologna sandwich and a glass of milk he said, "I brought you here to have sex with you and kill you but I can't do that". I nodded in agreement. He apparently thought I was some angelic or demonic messenger sent to converse with him. I thought he was just some nutjob. He dropped me off right at the point of the road where he had picked me up. I thought little about him until 5 years later when I watched an HBO special "The 10 worst serial killers in the US" and there he was. I never hitchhiked again.

NB
Son of FMF

In front of the TV

Moves
19 Mar 14
3 edits

There's far too much at stake to allow 'feelings' of any kind to have control; emotions have no capacity for rational thought.
But your constant references on this forum to your own purported immortality come across as purely emotional as do your constant references to people with beliefs differing from yours "suffering in eternity". Coming to terms with the fact that we die can, understandably, stirs up emotions and a need for coping strategies in many people. I think your coping strategy is pretty plain for people to see.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
19 Mar 14

Originally posted by caissad4
At 14 I was walking down a street when a man in a trenchcoat walked up to me and said "I'm going to blow your brains out". I laughed and said "No you're not". We struggled and I remember both of us going over some hedges. I was a bloody mess and still have a scar on the left side of my head from the shotgun.
In the mid-seventies I was hitchhiking near Carm ...[text shortened]... HBO special "The 10 worst serial killers in the US" and there he was. I never hitchhiked again.
Two close calls objectively and vividly described... you're one of the fortunate to have emerged from both events unscathed.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
19 Mar 14

Originally posted by Nick Bourbaki
But your constant references on this forum to your own purported immortality come across as purely emotional as do your constant references to people with beliefs differing from yours "suffering in eternity". Coming to terms with the fact that we die can, understandably, stirs up emotions and a need for coping strategies in many people. I think your coping strategy is pretty plain for people to see.
..... purportedly.

NB
Son of FMF

In front of the TV

Moves
19 Mar 14

..... purportedly.
Yes indeed. That we have the capacity to dream up things like life after death is an integral part of our spiritual dimension and our facility for abstraction and speculation. I think it is wholly natural and understandable
for humans to dream about immortality as you do.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
19 Mar 14

Yes indeed. That we have the capacity to dream up things like life after death is an integral part of our spiritual dimension and our facility for abstraction and speculation. I think it is wholly natural and understandable
for humans to dream about immortality as you do.
..... purportedly.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
19 Mar 14

Originally posted by FabianFnas
Every day I am nearer to my own death.

Every time I am very near to my death but survive, I realize that I wasn't near my death at all, it was just an illusion.
Does your story mean that the day you die, your belief that you'd live
forever was an illusion?
Kelly

NB
Son of FMF

In front of the TV

Moves
19 Mar 14
1 edit

There's far too much at stake to allow 'feelings' of any kind to have control; emotions have no capacity for rational thought [about my own mortality].
I'm just giving my take on what you are asserting about yourself and others. I do believe it is a function of the capacity for spiritual contemplation that we all have (as humans), but, first and foremost, I think your belief in your own immortality is emotional. A thread about "Death" like this one seems like the appropriate place to discuss this.

y

Moves
19 Mar 14

In the mid-seventies I was hitchhiking near Carm ...[text shortened]... HBO special "The 10 worst serial killers in the US" and there he was. I never hitchhiked again.
This really happen?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
19 Mar 14

I'm just giving my take on what you are asserting about yourself and others. I do believe it is a function of the capacity for spiritual contemplation that we all have (as humans), but, first and foremost, I think your belief in your own immortality is emotional. A thread about "Death" like this one seems like the appropriate place to discuss this.
I'm just giving my take on what you are asserting about yourself and others..."

> One four word question... no assertion. Have you ever been very near death?

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby (OP)

This is a facsimile of the blurred and jumbled screen images I saw in January, 2011, when my son Eric (Health Proxy and Executor) booked a flight from Boston to be told upon arrival: "Your father's condition is terminal". By Summer I was on the mend; rid of the catheter; able to feed and bathe myself again. I thank God audibly for each new day. Ever happen to you?

[quote]"New Thread.... Public Forums.... Thread List.... Search Forums.... My Private Forums.... Recommended
Spirituality Forum.... Thread.... Posts.... Last post.... Created by.... Last poster

JW 110 12 Mar '14 01:44 RBHILL divegeester
"Objective" Foundation for Morals 67 12 Mar '14 00:56 LemonJello twhitehead
I am a jealous god 8 12 Mar '14 00:46 wolfgang59 JS357
Was this man a Christian? 11 12 Mar '14 00:44 CalJust twhitehead
Anti-balaka 22 12 Mar '14 00:34 FabianFnas twhitehead
For sonship: On Childishness 108 12 Mar '14 00:08 LemonJello SwissGambit
RHP/Spirituality Forum Reference Section 33 11 Mar '14 23:03 Grampy Bobby Grampy Bobby
Why do you worship? 59 11 Mar '14 22:35 wolfgang59 wolfgang59
Our Addresses 72 11 Mar '14 20:14 Grampy Bobby Grampy Bobby
Law Of God vs. law of Christ 10 11 Mar '14 16:00 KingOnPoint josephw
Evil intelligent design of cancer! 42 11 Mar '14 13:46 FabianFnas SwissGambit
Problems with Evolution 34 11 Mar '14 08:48 RJHinds Zahlanzi
A Case of Islamist Humanity toward Christians 1 10 Mar '14 21:34 Duchess64 Duchess64
Praying Through Jesus not To Jesus 123 10 Mar '14 17:11 beauroberts divegeester
Lol 9 10 Mar '14 09:38 RBHILL RBHILL
I am FabianFnas 154 10 Mar '14 08:42 FabianFnas FabianFnas
JW use of other Bibles 36 10 Mar '14 07:57 yoctobyte robbie carrobie
Am I a christian? 47 10 Mar '14 05:12 FabianFnas FabianFnas
Rajk999's Luke 10:25-28 29 10 Mar '14 03:02 sonship KingOnPoint
PM from KOP 94 10 Mar '14 02:47 Rajk999 KingOnPoint
Direct Response to ThinkOfOne 58 10 Mar '14 02:39 KingOnPoint KingOnPoint
Is this true? 7 09 Mar '14 23:15 RBHILL RBHILL
Pope 17 09 Mar '14 14:24 RBHILL RBHILL
Being proved wrong - it's not all that bad 41 09 Mar '14 04:43 SwissGambit redbarons
DNA Message From God 95 08 Mar '14 14:47 RJHinds sonhouse
Who do you worship? 22 08 Mar '14 01:08 galveston75 divegeester
and then there were three... 17 07 Mar '14 19:22 divegeester robbie carrobie
really true facts ! 1 07 Mar '14 11:39 moonbus moonbus
Is ThinkOfOne Reading Anymore "Direct Response"... 1 07 Mar '14 09:16 KingOnPoint KingOnPoint
Breatharianism 5 07 Mar '14 08:58 Duchess64 KingOnPoint
1.... 2.... 3... 20.... Next »"

NB
Son of FMF

In front of the TV

Moves
19 Mar 14

..... purportedly.
Yes, purportedly. It goes for you and me both. A Spirituality Forum is a place where people pitch 'things they purport' to each other; you do it, I do it, pretty much everyone here does it. Surmise, imagination and aspiration are part of the very essence of the subject matter. And your emotions play a part too.

Child of the Novelty

San Antonio, Texas

Moves
20 Mar 14

Originally posted by yoctobyte
This really happen?
Yes indeed.

NB
Son of FMF

In front of the TV

Moves
20 Mar 14

One four word question... no assertion. Have you ever been very near death?
I already posted about coming close to death on page 1. You made a couple of assertions relating to your own personal claim to be immortal at the bottom of page three and an assertion about people "suffering in eternity" if they don't share your beliefs further up the same page. I am simply engaging you, that's all. 🙂

Moves
20 Mar 14

near Carmel, Calif. when a very well dressed man driving a blue Mercedes stopped and asked me if I wanted lunch. I said yes and he drove to his parents house (a mansion) and while he was handing me a bologna sandwich and a glass of milk he said, "I brought you here to have sex with you and kill you but I can't do that". I nodded in agreement.
When you got into the blue Merc with the well dressed man, where you really expecting lunch or hoping for sex?

Child of the Novelty

San Antonio, Texas

Moves
20 Mar 14

Originally posted by divegeester
When you got into the blue Merc with the well dressed man, where you really expecting lunch or hoping for sex?
Lunch