1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jan '18 11:19
    Originally posted by @dj2becker
    I am asking your opinion as a non-believer, if you took all religions at face value. I fully understand why you would dodge the question. Could it be intellectual dishonesty perhaps?
    I am not interested in a hypothetical popularity contest between religions that I have no reason to believe are revelations of god or gods. I see religions as being a product of culture and geography. As a non-believer, imagining myself to be a believer, I would assume I would find the religion I grew up with to be the "embodiment of truth".
  2. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    16 Jan '18 13:29
    Originally posted by @fmf
    I am not interested in a hypothetical popularity contest between religions that I have no reason to believe are revelations of god or gods. I see religions as being a product of culture and geography. As a non-believer, imagining myself to be a believer, I would assume I would find the religion I grew up with to be the "embodiment of truth".
    Of course it conveniently suits you not to be interested in answering my question honestly. I am not asking for a popularity contest, simply your honest evaluation if you have that in you.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jan '18 13:39
    Of course it conveniently suits you not to be interested in answering my question honestly. I am not asking for a popularity contest, simply your honest evaluation if you have that in you.
    You used the word "compete". From my point of view there is no competition. I have no preference. I don’t think any religions reflect or embody a "true" revelation of any god or gods there may be. I think the Jesus-torturer god ideology is just as far-fetched as what the other retail religions offer. This is my honest evaluation and my honest response.
  4. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    16 Jan '18 13:511 edit
    You used the word "compete". From my point of view there is no competition. I have no preference. I don’t think any religions reflect or embody a "true" revelation of any god or gods there may be. I think the Jesus-torturer god ideology is just as far-fetched as what the other retail religions offer. This is my honest evaluation and my honest response.
    So this God that you believe may be out there that has not communicated with any of us just created us for the heck of it and left us in the dark. When we die this God won't hold us accountable for anything we've done either? I'm sure your theory makes a lot more sense. 🙄
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jan '18 14:00
    So this God that you believe may be out there that has not communicated with any of us just created us for the heck of it and left us in the dark. I'm sure your theory makes a lot more sense. 🙄
    There's nothing "dark" about it as far as I am concerned. I don't really need my lack of belief (superstition) to make sense to you personally. It doesn't make sense to some of my Muslim or Hindu friends either.

You seem to have a habit of ignoring whatever is said to you in discussions. Maybe if you listened more attentively, you might be able to understand where non-believers are coming from better.

If ever I start to feel you have credible information about any god there may be, I will let you know.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Jan '18 14:05
    When we die this God won't hold us accountable for anything we've done either?
    If your belief in a god figure who holds you accountable - and who can burn you for eternity if it wants to - results in you behaving in a morally sound way, then that's a good thing for the people you interact with, I guess.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Jan '18 15:09
    I asked you the question and you responded with what someone else would say. That is a dodge.
    I don't know about all the other supposed deities; as I've said Jesus works for me and my faith is my personal evidence., I don't see any other evidence - you do but don't seem to be able to coherently describe it without using web-links and spurious claims about your own belief structure. Tho be honest I think this topic has run it's course with you; you are fortunate that I'm even bothering with you at all becker.
  8. SubscriberRagwortonline
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    16 Jan '18 16:44
    Originally posted by @suzianne
    That's exactly right, and I often take issue with those who would worship the Bible. And by that, I mean worshipping the book itself, not the God it describes. They do this in many ways, some seeking to justify their own behaviors, others seeking to control others. It's not a weapon to be used on others and it's not a pedestal one can use to exalt onese ...[text shortened]... es some good-old interaction (decisions and actions) to be worth even the paper it's printed on.
    Excellent post as was your one in this thread before it.
  9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Jan '18 02:15
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    Tesitmonies from other christians about what they believe about the bible are not “evidence”. What’s the matter with you, are you not reading my posts?

I know what the bible says about itself, I know what you say about it and I know what other Christians say about it. This is not evidence.
    But it is "testimony".

And yes, that's different from "evidence".
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    17 Jan '18 02:19
    Originally posted by @ragwort
    Excellent post as was your one in this thread before it.
    Thank you.
  11. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    17 Jan '18 03:43
    There's nothing "dark" about it as far as I am concerned. I don't really need my lack of belief (superstition) to make sense to you personally. It doesn't make sense to some of my Muslim or Hindu friends either.

You seem to have a habit of ignoring whatever is said to you in discussions. Maybe if you listened more attentively, you might be able to understan ...[text shortened]... I start to feel you have credible information about any god there may be, I will let you know.
    Which part of God making the effort to create us and then just leaving us on our own without communicating with us makes sense to you? I am not asking for it to make sense to me. What exactly have I ignored? You have a habit of saying I ignore what you say but you never seem to be able to point out exactly what it is that I have ignored.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jan '18 03:51
    You have a habit of saying I ignore what you say but you never seem to be able to point out exactly what it is that I have ignored.
    What I have to say is invariably in the posts that you studiously ignore.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Jan '18 03:531 edit
    Which part of God making the effort to create us and then just leaving us on our own without communicating with us makes sense to you?
    I don't see what's wrong with this scenario.
  14. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    17 Jan '18 04:20
    What I have to say is invariably in the posts that you studiously ignore.
    Unless you can tell me exactly what it is that I have ignored your complaints are moot.
  15. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    17 Jan '18 04:251 edit
    I don't see what's wrong with this scenario.
    Ok lets see how your version works. A God that is smart enough to create complex life and spiritual beings with a longing for the supernatural did that just to have us make up false gods and worship them while he looks down and laughs at us. Nothing wrong with that?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree