Evolution

Evolution

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
19 Sep 05

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
The same article you got yours from. Did you read it?

[b]What is the typical rate of spontaneous mutations?

...Bacteria, Archae, and Eukaryotic microbes produce about one mutation per 300 chromosome replications.

http://www.sci.sdsu.edu/~smaloy/MicrobialGenetics/topics/mutations/fluctuation.html[/b]
Aside: With such a high mutation rate, I'm rather surpised that nobody has observed bacteria naturally mutate to anything other than another strain of bacteria.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
19 Sep 05
1 edit

Haven't found a suitable rate, only an interesting link.

http://www.evolutionfairytale.com/articles_debates/mutation_rate.htm

Edit1: I checked out the forum on the site and found a thread called... guess again... Abiogenesis.

Here's the link ATY, it might interest you:
http://www.evolutionfairytale.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=53

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
19 Sep 05

Is this the number taken from the sample problem which discusses a single gene only? The one that is intended to train students how to use a particular equation as opposed to one that actually reflects real research?

Why don't you try the figure of one mutation per 300 chromosome replications? That seems more reasonable for this sort of calculati ...[text shortened]... d so students can practice using an equation, not whether the numbers are in any way legitimate.
Actually you would be using the rate per gene, because the gene holds the information for the object of change. Even if you had a mutation rate of 10 per organism you could go a pretty long time without a single gene being effected enough to warrant a change in species.

Immigration Central

tinyurl.com/muzppr8z

Moves
19 Sep 05
2 edits

Originally posted by Halitose
Haven't found a suitable rate, only an interesting link.

http://www.evolutionfairytale.com/articles_debates/mutation_rate.htm

Edit1: I checked out the forum on the site and found a thread called... guess again... Abiogenesis.

Here's the link ATY, it might interest you:
http://www.evolutionfairytale.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=53
That article mentioned "information" and I quickly lost interest:

...there are no known examples where a mutation added information to the genome

Now, if the source article were easily available I might find that interesting, but I am not interested in spending time looking for it:

L. Spetner, Not by Chance, The Judaica Press, 1998, p. 138 (particularly all of Chapter 5)

For the background on why creationists talking about genomic information and how it supposedly cannot increase is ridiculous, please see this thread:

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=22541&page=1

Thanks for the link, though at this time I am not interested in jumping into this debate with another community.

Immigration Central

tinyurl.com/muzppr8z

Moves
19 Sep 05
2 edits

Actually you would be using the rate per gene, because the gene holds the information for the object of change. Even if you had a mutation rate of 10 per organism you could go a pretty long time without a single gene being effected enough to warrant a change in species.
Not true. A mutation in a non-coding region can turn that region into a gene. You need to look at the entire genome, including non-coding regions.

This would probably be an example of a mutation "adding information to the genome" if creationists who use this term would put forth any clear definition of "information" that they find satisfactory, by the way.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
19 Sep 05

Not true. A mutation in a non-coding region can turn that region into a gene. You need to look at the entire genome, including non-coding regions.

This would probably be an example of a mutation "adding information to the genome" if creationists who use this term would put forth any clear definition of "information" that they find satisfactory, by the way.
Im still amazed by the properties of a hologram especially how an entire intact image is preserved on pieces you cut off, only smaller.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
21 Sep 05

Non Coding regions? And here I am thinking that mutations are like spelling errors where one base is accidentally inserted instead of the other.

What if I concede that my definition of evolution includes a divinely inserted ability where the variation allows for survival; Although this variation is genetically incapable of exceding the taxonomical classification of an order.

Immigration Central

tinyurl.com/muzppr8z

Moves
21 Sep 05

Non Coding regions? And here I am thinking that mutations are like spelling errors where one base is accidentally inserted instead of the other.

What if I concede that my definition of evolution includes a divinely inserted ability where the variation allows for survival; Although this variation is genetically incapable of exceding the taxonomical classification of an order.
That is one type of mutation, yes, and it is a type that could change a non-coding region into a gene. What are you confused about?

What if you did? This is not consistent with evolutionary theory and I don't think it's correct.

I don't understand what you're trying to communicate with this post.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
21 Sep 05
2 edits

That is one type of mutation, yes, and it is a type that could change a non-coding region into a gene. What are you confused about?

[b]What if I concede that my definition of evolution includes a divinely inserted ability where the variation allows for survival; Although this variation is genetically incapable of exceding the taxonomical classific ...[text shortened]... t think it's correct.

I don't understand what you're trying to communicate with this post.
[/b]
I'm not familiar with a "non-coding region"; are you talking about functional RNA?

What if you did? This is not consistent with evolutionary theory and I don't think it's correct.

Just because its not consistant with evolutionary theory doesn't mean I am wrong. I think current science extrapolates its observations with a fair dose of wishful thinking and the unprovable uniformatarianism principle. Do you have an example of anything evolving beyond its own order.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
21 Sep 05

I'm not familiar with a "non-coding region"; are you talking about functional RNA?
A segment of DNA that does not comprise a gene and thus does not code for a protein. Non-coding regions are interspersed throughout DNA.

Immigration Central

tinyurl.com/muzppr8z

Moves
21 Sep 05

[b]That is one type of mutation, yes, and it is a type that could change a non-coding region into a gene. What are you confused about?
[/b]

Just because i ...[text shortened]... e uniformatarianism principle. Do you have an example of anything evolving beyond its own order.[/b]
Xanthos has it. It's the DNA that isn't genes. Basically DNA is a string of bases, and some combinations of bases are the "start" signal, and some are the "stop" signal. Proteins get translated from "start" to "stop". Those areas between the "stop" of one gene and the "start" of the next are non-coding regions. A mutation could change some part of one of those areas into a "start" signal, thus creating a new gene.

It is true that just because something is inconsistent with evolutionary theory does not mean it's wrong. I never said otherwise. I was commenting on your statement in which you said "what if..." I didn't know how to respond to a "what if" so I said something. I have no idea what you were asking about so it's not reasonable to expect me to answer whatever it was you were asking correctly.

Do you have an example of anything evolving beyond its own order.

This question shows an ignorance of evolutionary theory. In evolutionary theory, organisms don't evolve "beyond their own orders". Instead, as the organisms of some order evolve and differentiate from one another, their order becomes redefined as a class, and their former family becomes their new order. Or, we could make up new names, like subspecies, and subsubspecies, and what today is known as an "order" would have a smaller range than what would be known as an "order" in the future.

For example: if scientists existed when animals first evolved, they would probably classify Animalia as a species. If scientists existed when Chordates first evolved, they'd probably classify Chordata as a species, and Animalia as a genus. If scientists existed when vertebrates first evolved, they'd probably classify Vertebrata as the species, Chordata as the genus, and Animalia as the family. Get it?

Moves
21 Sep 05
1 edit

Xanthos has it. It's the DNA that isn't genes. Basically DNA is a string of bases, and some combinations of bases are the "start" signal, and some are the "stop" signal. Proteins get translated from "start" to "stop". Those areas between the "stop" of one gene and the "start" of the next are non-coding regions. A mutation could chan ...[text shortened]... classify Vertebrata as the species, Chordata as the genus, and Animalia as the family. Get it?
For example: if scientists existed when animals first evolved, they would probably classify Animalia as a species. If scientists existed when Chordates first evolved, they'd probably classify Chordata as a species, and Animalia as a genus. If scientists existed when vertebrates first evolved, they'd probably classify Vertebrata as the species, Chordata as the genus, and Animalia as the family. Get it?

This sounds just like the entire theory of evolution: wishful thinking.

So that would mean that the chiuaua and the great dane should be regarded as different species?

Immigration Central

tinyurl.com/muzppr8z

Moves
21 Sep 05

Originally posted by dj2becker
[b]For example: if scientists existed when animals first evolved, they would probably classify Animalia as a species. If scientists existed when Chordates first evolved, they'd probably classify Chordata as a species, and Animalia as a genus. If scientists existed when vertebrates first evolved, they'd probably classify Vertebrata as the species, Chord ...[text shortened]...
So that would mean that the chiuaua and the great dane should be regarded as different species?

No. They haven't varied enough from one another yet. However they might end up becoming different species if selective pressures, whether human or natural, select for them to be more and more different.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
21 Sep 05

Xanthos has it. It's the DNA that isn't genes. Basically DNA is a string of bases, and some combinations of bases are the "start" signal, and some are the "stop" signal. Proteins get translated from "start" to "stop". Those areas between the "stop" of one gene and the "start" of the next are non-coding regions. A mutation could chan ...[text shortened]... classify Vertebrata as the species, Chordata as the genus, and Animalia as the family. Get it?
This question shows an ignorance of evolutionary theory.

Er... um... yes, delicate sidestep to the inevitable:

Is this where we bring in the paleontologists and the fossil record?

Immigration Central

tinyurl.com/muzppr8z

Moves
21 Sep 05

[b]This question shows an ignorance of evolutionary theory.

Er... um... yes, delicate sidestep to the inevitable:

Is this where we bring in the paleontologists and the fossil record?[/b]
What?

You seemed not to understand evolutionary theory, so I cleared up your mistake. Why are you talking about paleontologists?