Evolution

Evolution

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DC
Flamenco Sketches

Spain, in spirit

Moves
18 Sep 05

Originally posted by Halitose
Could it be dj2 incognito? Not too many spelling errors though.
I'd say Ivanhoe....

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
18 Sep 05

Originally posted by David C
I'd say Ivanhoe....
I'm just waiting for him to say: "Snakeface".

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
18 Sep 05

Do you realize how much fun it is to get em riled like this?
LMAO

Immigration Central

tinyurl.com/muzppr8z

Moves
19 Sep 05

Originally posted by aardvarkhome
micro / macro evolution is a meaningless distinction clung on to by religiously motivated creationists
I used to think that too. These are actually terms used by evolutionary biologists, though creationists have adopted them.

Immigration Central

tinyurl.com/muzppr8z

Moves
19 Sep 05

Originally posted by telerion
Page 2.

Already there are signs along the trail that the target has suffered many wounds. It is no wonder that large predators have come ahead of me. I should not be surprised to find only a gleaming carcass at the end of the chase.

Page 3

What is this? Some small game has crossed the path. Other hunters have been diverted. But lo! I see from ...[text shortened]... ny meat left on its bones.

Page 5

Awaiting new signs. Must rest. Recover and prepare.
LOL.

Immigration Central

tinyurl.com/muzppr8z

Moves
19 Sep 05

Since noone has disputed my figure of 0.01 % for (2), I'm moving on.

I've rounded (1) off to a mutation rate of 10^-10 as bacteria exibit a substantially higher rate of mutation compared to say animals. I'll also yield on the notion that mutations add information to the genome.

For (3) I'm going to use 500 steps proposed by the late G.Lebyard Stebbins*.

*Stebbins, 1966
I'll dispute it. You made it up. A random number pulled out of your butt is not a reasonable basis for a statistical analysis.

Immigration Central

tinyurl.com/muzppr8z

Moves
19 Sep 05

For (1) I'd suggest the rate on the following googled site:

http://www.sci.sdsu.edu/~smaloy/MicrobialGenetics/topics/mutations/fluctuation.html

1.7 X 10^-9
Is this the number taken from the sample problem which discusses a single gene only? The one that is intended to train students how to use a particular equation as opposed to one that actually reflects real research?

Why don't you try the figure of one mutation per 300 chromosome replications? That seems more reasonable for this sort of calculation. You artificially lower the rate by calculating the rate of mutation for one gene instead of for one organism. In addition, the sample problem that led to this number has no actual referenced data. For all we know, the authors made up that number. What's relevant for the purposes of that site is that enough info is included so students can practice using an equation, not whether the numbers are in any way legitimate.

Immigration Central

tinyurl.com/muzppr8z

Moves
19 Sep 05

Originally posted by RatX
[b]Evidence? you drink beer made from one and eat bread made from the other

You've obviously been drinking way too much Hordeum vulgare that it makes your reasoning vulgare... 10000yrs? Elegant, yet misguided - we don't have that much recorded history. Speculation by some inebriated evolutionist I say![/b]
Dude, don't be such a pansy. Use your real account. Why do you need to hide from your reputation?

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
19 Sep 05

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Is this the number taken from the sample problem which discusses a single gene only? The one that is intended to train students how to use a particular equation as opposed to one that actually reflects real research?

Why don't you try the figure of one mutation per 300 chromosome replications? That seems more reasonable for this sort of calculati ...[text shortened]... d so students can practice using an equation, not whether the numbers are in any way legitimate.
Why don't you try the figure of one mutation per 300 chromosome replications?

Now its your turn to show your hand. Where do you get these numbers?

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
19 Sep 05
1 edit

[b]Why don't you try the figure of one mutation per 300 chromosome replications?

Now its your turn to show your hand. Where do you get these numbers?[/b]
one of the things you posted about about tar buildup in test tubes, is more because it is a test tube and not a complete eco-system.
You are presupposing a static environment and it didn't have to be, in fact it probably was extremely dynamic.
Also you are postulating a chemical breakdown everytime boy don't meet girl (so to speak).
The process had the entire earth for a testtube and also a lot of time. What started in one place might have been finished on the other side of the earth 1,000,000 years later.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
19 Sep 05

Originally posted by frogstomp
one of the things you posted about about tar buildup in test tubes, is more because it is a test tube and not a complete eco-system.
You are presupposing a static environment and it didn't have to be, in fact it probably was extremely dynamic.
Also you are postulating a chemical breakdown everytime boy don't mee ...[text shortened]... ne place might have been finished on the other side of the earth 1,000,000 years later.
Sure, but wouldn't the tar be uniformly distributed within this ecosystem? Methinks, everywhich way you look at it, there seems to be some sorting mechanism involved, which just don't work when calculating random chance. Either it was random chance, or there was some intelligent sorting going on.

Immigration Central

tinyurl.com/muzppr8z

Moves
19 Sep 05

[b]Why don't you try the figure of one mutation per 300 chromosome replications?

Now its your turn to show your hand. Where do you get these numbers?[/b]
The same article you got yours from. Did you read it?

What is the typical rate of spontaneous mutations?

...Bacteria, Archae, and Eukaryotic microbes produce about one mutation per 300 chromosome replications.

http://www.sci.sdsu.edu/~smaloy/MicrobialGenetics/topics/mutations/fluctuation.html

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
19 Sep 05

Sure, but wouldn't the tar be uniformly distributed within this ecosystem? Methinks, everywhich way you look at it, there seems to be some sorting mechanism involved, which just don't work when calculating random chance. Either it was random chance, or there was some intelligent sorting going on.
the third way is more likely tho. and that's that it had no other way to form due to its chemical makeup.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
19 Sep 05

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
The same article you got yours from. Did you read it?

[b]What is the typical rate of spontaneous mutations?

...Bacteria, Archae, and Eukaryotic microbes produce about one mutation per 300 chromosome replications.

http://www.sci.sdsu.edu/~smaloy/MicrobialGenetics/topics/mutations/fluctuation.html[/b]
Yes. That is indeed the rate with some bacterium, however as I pointed out, bacteria show a vastly higher mutation rate. If humans showed the same mutation rate we would have been extinct by now.

I concede that I didn't read the site through carefully and just jumped to the end where it gave the mutation rate per gene per generation for E.coli.

Okay. I'll be googling for another more suitable rate.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
19 Sep 05
1 edit

Originally posted by frogstomp
the third way is more likely tho. and that's that it had no other way to form due to its chemical makeup.
Isn't this chemical makeup too convenient? At least for the athiest?

That ape-like typing thing is definitely catching.