Evolution

Evolution

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
17 Sep 05

Originally posted by Halitose
(2) is a little tricky.

"The probabilities that a mutation will survive or eventually spread in the course of evolution tend to vary inversely with the extent of its somatic effects. Most mutations with large effects are lethal at an early stage for the individual in which they occur and hence have zero probability of spreading. Mutations with small ef ...[text shortened]... d., Essays in Evolution and Genetics (1970), p. 80.

Edit1: would a random figure of 0.01% do.
Since noone has disputed my figure of 0.01 % for (2), I'm moving on.

I've rounded (1) off to a mutation rate of 10^-10 as bacteria exibit a substantially higher rate of mutation compared to say animals. I'll also yield on the notion that mutations add information to the genome.

For (3) I'm going to use 500 steps proposed by the late G.Lebyard Stebbins*.

*Stebbins, 1966

a

Meddling with things

Moves
17 Sep 05

Isn't it just amasing with how much you can get away with when you use the words [b]is thought to.[/b]
Ok, the centre of divesity and wild range (origin) of t dicococcum is in the fertle crescent. The genotypes of domesticated wheat are mirrored in the wild types found in SE turkey.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
17 Sep 05

Since noone has disputed my figure of 0.01 % for (2), I'm moving on.

I've rounded (1) off to a mutation rate of 10^-10 as bacteria exibit a substantially higher rate of mutation compared to say animals. I'll also yield on the notion that mutations add information to the genome.

For (3) I'm going to use 500 steps proposed by the late G.Lebyard Stebbins*.

*Stebbins, 1966
Im trying to figure what basis you're using , since some of it is leaning toward LaMarckian and some toward random mutation.
The test you're using , tends to indicate a LaMarckian process and the method you're using is for Random mutation.

R

Hamelin: RAT-free

Moves
17 Sep 05

Originally posted by aardvarkhome
It is statistically possible because it has happenned.

Hordeum vulgare has speciated out of Hordeum spontaneum within the last 10000yrs

Triticum aesticum has speciated out of a three way hybridisation / polyploidation within the last 8000years.

Evidence? you drink beer made from one and eat bread made from the other
Evidence? you drink beer made from one and eat bread made from the other

You've obviously been drinking way too much Hordeum vulgare that it makes your reasoning vulgare... 10000yrs? Elegant, yet misguided - we don't have that much recorded history. Speculation by some inebriated evolutionist I say!

R

Moves
17 Sep 05

Originally posted by frogstomp
Im trying to figure what basis you're using , since some of it is leaning toward LaMarckian and some toward random mutation.
The test you're using , tends to indicate a LaMarckian process and the method you're using is for Random mutation.
Use the basis of REASON and LOGIC - stop hopping around your front lawn after a rainstorm and think a little! Time+matter+energy does not equal bigger and better. It always - I repeat - ALWAYS falls to dust and destruction, if not guided by an intelligent and controlled process (and don't cr@p out some photosynthesis jargon - scientist are still baffled about that ones design)...

Elementary my dear frogstomper.

a

Meddling with things

Moves
17 Sep 05

Originally posted by RatX
[b]Evidence? you drink beer made from one and eat bread made from the other

You've obviously been drinking way too much Hordeum vulgare that it makes your reasoning vulgare... 10000yrs? Elegant, yet misguided - we don't have that much recorded history. Speculation by some inebriated evolutionist I say![/b]
We have that much archaeology, which is where the evidence cited comes from.

When did I last drink alcohol?

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
17 Sep 05

Use the basis of REASON and LOGIC - stop hopping around your front lawn after a rainstorm and think a little! Time+matter+energy does not equal bigger and better. It always - I repeat - ALWAYS falls to dust and destruction, if not guided by an intelligent and controlled process (and don't cr@p out some photosynthesis jargon - scientist are still baffled about that ones design)...

Elementary my dear frogstomper.
stay off the hallucinatory drugs , butthead

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
17 Sep 05

jeez another born-again clone name

mutation of an idiot to a chickenpoop

R

Moves
17 Sep 05

Nice... How on earth did they date those marvelous specimens (to your beautifully rounded-off tenthousandyears?

To the great misfortune of this conversation, I'm not familiar with your happy hamlet and their imbibing habits...

R

Moves
17 Sep 05

Born again? Wot's th@?

Just fertilizing a forum lacking wit and logic...

a

Meddling with things

Moves
17 Sep 05

Yep, says it all: Moves 0

Who are you then rat boy?

R

Moves
17 Sep 05

We meet again, Beavis! I notice those magic-mushrooms still haven't worn off...

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
17 Sep 05

I'm going for the random mutations because it seems more in line with mainstream evolution.

a

Meddling with things

Moves
17 Sep 05

[b]We have that much archaeology, which is where the evidence cited comes from.

Nice... How on earth did they date those marvelous specimens (to your beautifully rounded-off tenthousandyears?

To the great misfortune of this conversation, I'm not familiar with your happy hamlet and their imbibing habits...[/b]
dendrology and carbon dating overlaid with classic archaeological chronologies and references to later histories. (ie, the usual way)

R

Moves
17 Sep 05

Yep, says it all: Moves 0

Who are you then rat boy?
I'm here for the mere pleasure of exterminating rats - unfortunately, they tough little, uh... wot are the forum regulations again?