1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    16 Sep '05 07:501 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Didn't you and I already go over this?

[b]Three species of wildflowers called goatsbeards were introduced to the United States from Europe shortly after the turn of the century. Within a few decades their populations expanded and began to encounter one another in the American West. Whenever mixed populations occurred, the specied interbred (hybrid ...[text shortened]... ants from which it had evolved."

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/speciation.html[/b]
    Maybe it was Coletti. I wish I could find that thread.

Here's another case:

In 1905, while studying the genetics of the evening primrose, Oenothera lamarckiana, H. De Vries discovered among his plants a variant having a different chromosome number. He was unable to breed this variant with O. lamarckiana. He named the new species O. gigas. (De Vries, Species and Varieties, Their Origin By Mutation, 1905)

http://www.skeptictank.org/hs/factfaq.htm
  2. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    16 Sep '05 07:551 edit
    Didn't you and I already go over this?

[b]Three species of wildflowers called goatsbeards were introduced to the United States from Europe shortly after the turn of the century. Within a few decades their populations expanded and began to encounter one another in the American West. Whenever mixed populations occurred, the specied interbred (hybrid ...[text shortened]... ants from which it had evolved."

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/speciation.html[/b]
    This is a good example of microevolution. There is ample evidence of this.

What did you have at the begining?
    Flowers.

What did you have at the end?
    Flowers.

Its not like the flowers became a butterflies...

I do somehow think that the thread is aimed at discussing macroevolution...
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    16 Sep '05 08:08

Here's another case:

[b]In 1905, while studying the genetics of the evening primrose, Oenothera lamarckiana, H. De Vries discovered among his plants a variant having a different chromosome number. He was unable to breed this variant with O. lamarckiana. He named the new species O. gigas. ( ...[text shortened]... rieties, Their Origin By Mutation, 1905)

http://www.skeptictank.org/hs/factfaq.htm[/b]
    Another excellent example of microevolution.

Do you have any examples of marcoevolution?
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    16 Sep '05 08:21

Here's another case:

[b]In 1905, while studying the genetics of the evening primrose, Oenothera lamarckiana, H. De Vries discovered among his plants a variant having a different chromosome number. He was unable to breed this variant with O. lamarckiana. He named the new species O. gigas. ( ...[text shortened]... rieties, Their Origin By Mutation, 1905)

http://www.skeptictank.org/hs/factfaq.htm[/b]
    Yeah, it was Coletti.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=23080&page=5
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    16 Sep '05 08:231 edit
    Originally posted by dj2becker

Flowers.

Flowers.

I don't care what you somehow think. I was answering specific questions posed by Halitose.
  6. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    16 Sep '05 09:451 edit
    I don't care what you somehow think. I was answering specific questions posed by Halitose.
    Good thing that the proper response mechanism to dj has evolved in the forum.

lol

btw ,, may I quote you?
  7. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    16 Sep '05 09:46

Flowers.

Flowers.

Please try to keep up. Halitose is utilizing the Biological Species Concept; this is the operative notion in this discussion regarding speciation. If you would like to start some other discussion that utilizes some alternate notion (like that of a natural kind), then start a new thread. The examples posted above are examples of speciation, they are therefore examples of macroevolution (by definition).
  8. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    16 Sep '05 10:21
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Please try to keep up. Halitose is utilizing the Biological Species Concept; this is the operative notion in this discussion regarding speciation. If you would like to start some other discussion that utilizes some alternate notion (like that of a natural kind), then start a new thread. The examples posted above are examples of speciation, they are therefore examples of macroevolution (by definition).
    Macroevolution:Large-scale evolution occurring over geologic time that results in the formation of new taxonomic groups.

Speciation:The evolutionary formation of new biological species, usually by the division of a single species into two or more genetically distinct ones.

Has it been observed that speciation results in the formation of new taxonomic groups?
  9. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    16 Sep '05 10:26
    Macroevolution:Large-scale evolution occurring over geologic time that results in the formation of new taxonomic groups.

Speciation:The evolutionary formation of new biological species, usually by the division of a single species into two or more genetically distinct ones.

Has it been observed that speciation results in the formation of new taxonomic groups?
    Am I missing something here? Do you understand that a new species is a new taxonomic group?
  10. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    16 Sep '05 10:30
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Am I missing something here? Do you understand that a new species is a new taxonomic group?
    wanna bet bbarr already knew the definitions lol
  11. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    16 Sep '05 10:311 edit

Since 'species' is a type of taxonomic group, and speciation is the evolution of a new species, speciation results in a new taxonomic group (this is straight deduction). In this discussion, the relevant notion of 'species' is provided by the BSC. Speciation has been observed, as pointed out above. So, the evolution of new taxonomic groups has been observed.

Seriously, you're in over your head in this thread. We don't care for your nonsense here. If you want to make use of your ill-defined pet notion of a 'natural kind' (which you mistakenly think is synonymous with the term 'taxonomic group'😉, start a new thread and label it clearly, so that those who know a thing or two about evolution can steer clear of it.

EDIT: See Starman's post above. It seems everybody but you is on the same page here, dj2becker.
  12. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    16 Sep '05 11:30
    Originally posted by KneverKnight
    You forget the sun has been pouring free energy on the Earth for billions of years, making it all happen.
    Exactly! All hail our creator...giving its' life so that we may live.
  13. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    16 Sep '05 12:03
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Since 'species' is a type of taxonomic group, and speciation is the evolution of a new species, speciation results in a new taxonomic group (this is straight deduction). In this discussion, the relevant notion of 'species' is provided by the BSC. Speciation has been observed, as pointed out above. So, the evolution of new taxonomic groups has been obser ...[text shortened]... IT: See Starman's post above. It seems everybody but you is on the same page here, dj2becker.
    Are the 'species' that are produced not of a similar taxonomic group, i.e. you start off with a certain 'specie' of flower and then get a different 'specie' which can still be classified under the larger taxonomic group of 'flowers'?

In simple terms you start off with a flower and you end up with a flower, and thus you only end up with a variation within the same 'kind'.
  14. London
    Moves
    16 Sep '05 12:23
    Are the 'species' that are produced not of a similar taxonomic group, i.e. you start off with a certain 'specie' of flower and then get a different 'specie' which can still be classified under the larger taxonomic group of 'flowers'?

In simple terms you start off with a flower and you end up with a flower, and thus you only end up with a variation within the same 'kind'.
    Er, dj2 - "flowers" are not a taxonomic group. They're just the reproductive organs of a large class of plants.
  15. Meddling with things
    Moves
    16 Sep '05 12:28
    Originally posted by Halitose
    Yes. But I'm more interested in examining mutations as I'm sure most would agree they are the mechanism behind evolution.
    no, mutations are only part of the story

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree