1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    18 Jun '12 15:162 edits
    Recently someone here suggested that the "evolutionists" are ready to explain away intelligent design, if they can't deny it. There is a perfect response to that charge, from today's newspaper.

http://www.gocomics.com/nonsequitur

This might only work today. (Monday, June 18 -- you can step back to that date after today, using a little red "<" icon that is by the date.)

For those not able to see it:

A teacher sits at his desk in the Biology 101 class. Behind him is a drawing on the board. It depicts a UFO and an "alien DNA beam" going from it to a knuckle-dragging humanoid. Then there is a spear-carrying human that the humanoid has evolved into, and then a rocket taking off; signs of human advancement after the DNA beam is received. A man, likely the beleaguered principal, stands at the door of the classroom. The teacher is saying, "Hey, I'm not the one who insisted on presenting an alternative explanation."
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    18 Jun '12 15:29
    Originally posted by JS357
    Recently someone here suggested that the "evolutionists" are ready to explain away intelligent design, if they can't deny it. There is a perfect response to that charge, from today's newspaper.

This might only work today. (Monday, June 18 -- you can step back to that date after today, using a little red "<" icon that i ...[text shortened]... saying, "Hey, I'm not the one who insisted on presenting an alternative explanation."
    Alien DNA Beam - that's awesome. πŸ˜€
  3. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    18 Jun '12 15:50

This might only work today. (Monday, June 18 -- you can step back to that date after today, using a little red "<" icon that i ...[text shortened]... saying, "Hey, I'm not the one who insisted on presenting an alternative explanation."
    A teacher sits at his desk in the Biology 101 class. Behind him is a drawing on the board. It depicts a UFO and an "alien DNA beam" going from it to a knuckle-dragging humanoid. Then there is a spear-carrying human that the humanoid has evolved into, and then a rocket taking off; signs of human advancement after the DNA beam is received. A man, likely the beleaguered principal, stands at the door of the classroom. The teacher is saying, "Hey, I'm not the one who insisted on presenting an alternative explanation."

That's almost as funny as -

"Fight for the separation of Ape and State."
  4. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    18 Jun '12 17:21

pure genius
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    18 Jun '12 19:02
    Originally posted by jaywill
    [quote] A teacher sits at his desk in the Biology 101 class. Behind him is a drawing on the board. It depicts a UFO and an "alien DNA beam" going from it to a knuckle-dragging humanoid. Then there is a spear-carrying human that the humanoid has evolved into, and then a rocket taking off; signs of human advancement after the DNA beam is received. A man, likel ...[text shortened]...
    That's almost as funny as -

"Fight for the separation of Ape and State."
    It it time for another sermon contest?
  6. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    18 Jun '12 19:39

As the ''evolutionist'' who received this idiotic suggestion from the creationist in question...

I fully approve and endorse this response.
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    18 Jun '12 20:22

niceπŸ˜€
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    18 Jun '12 20:31

yes, but i would take it to the next level. rather than teach evolution and, you know, biology, all biology teachers, all year long, teach alternative theories.

first year in high school: western alternative theories
    second year: asian alternative theories
    third year: what the ancient egyptians thought about the creation and evolution of the world
    fourth year: greek and roman mythology

all taught in biology class ofcourse
  9. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    18 Jun '12 20:35

I get that a reasoned explanation isn't one that can be brought forward so the
    discussion instead was lowered to just belittle. Where chance really cannot be
    given credit your left with something that needs or requires a guiding force.
    Kelly
  10. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    18 Jun '12 20:43
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Kelly
    Well that wasn't actually the point.

We get that you creationists don't believe evolution is possible and use pseudo-scientific
    arguments about probability to try to support your position.
    And every so often one of us will refute those arguments....

but that isn't what happened here.

What was suggested was that WE [skeptics/scientists/'evolutionists'... which is not a real word or thing]
    secretly realise that evolution doesn't work and are in secret trying to come up with a plan to incorporate
    ID into evolution...

Which is just wrong, and idiotic to boot.

WE think no such thing... I mean WE should know what it is WE think... And I can tell you, WE don't think that.

And so we mock the idea because someone so stupid as to make that argument deserves nothing else.
  11. Joined
    01 Jun '06
    Moves
    18 Jun '12 20:461 edit
    Kelly
    Where chance really cannot be given credit

Who's giving credit to chance? It plays a small (important, but still small) part in the process.

your(sic) left with something that needs or requires a guiding force.

Yes, natural selection.

And around we go again...

--- Penguin (dropping in briefly)
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    18 Jun '12 20:54
    Kelly
    I believe that we have agreed in the past, that some brute facts are necessary. (am I mistaking you for someone else in this regard?)
    If some brute facts exist, then are they 'chance'?
    Would you describe physical laws as 'chance'?

I think we all accept the existence of 'guiding forces'. After all, nobody disputes that gravity exists even though we may not understand or agree on how it works.

So why do creationists always try to set up a false dichotomy fallacy of 'chance vs intelligence'?
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    18 Jun '12 21:281 edit
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Well that wasn't actually the point.

We get that you creationists don't believe evolution is possible and use pseudo-scientific
    arguments about probability to try to support your position.
    And every so often one of us will refute those arguments....

but that isn't what happened here.

What was suggested was that WE [skeptics/scientists/'evolut e mock the idea because someone so stupid as to make that argument deserves nothing else.
    The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.
    (Psalm 14:1 KJV)

O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
    Which some professing have erred concerning the faith.
    Grace be with thee. Amen.
    (1 Timothy 6:20-21 KJV)

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord!
  14. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    18 Jun '12 21:31
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    [b]The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.
    (Psalm 14:1 KJV)

O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
    Which some professing have erred concerning the faith.
    Grace be with thee. Amen.
    (1 Timothy 6:20-21 KJV)

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord![/b]
    Claims made without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    18 Jun '12 21:33
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Claims made without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.
    Your claim is dismissed then.

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! 😏

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree