False Science Exposed

False Science Exposed

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
06 Feb 15

Originally posted by Suzianne
Welcome to the Spirituality forum. 😉
Yeah, in fact you could have said welcome to almost (almost exactly?) any forum here.

*sigh*

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
06 Feb 15

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
And if you take two random adult males from the human population, they are "almost exactly" equally tall. Amazing!
And for some here, the ability to lay in wait and watch until a mistake can be zeroed in on is almost exactly perfect. It's not amazing, but I suppose it could be called a skill.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
06 Feb 15

Originally posted by lemon lime
And for some here, the ability to lay in wait and watch until a mistake can be zeroed in on is almost exactly perfect. It's not amazing, but I suppose it could be called a skill.
Those people start out as the grammer and spelling police. Excuse my grammar. 😀

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
06 Feb 15

Originally posted by RJHinds
Those people start out as the grammer and spelling police. Excuse my grammar. 😀
I just now thought of something that can prove the earth is spinning. The coriolis effect. I'll let the pointy headed perfectionists here explain that one... I'm not in the mood for getting jumped on again today.😛

c

Moves
06 Feb 15

How does something as big as the sun orbit the earth, unless it is really much smaller and closer. The flat earthers have the sun 30 miles across.

Cape Town

Moves
06 Feb 15

And for some here, the ability to lay in wait and watch until a mistake can be zeroed in on is almost exactly perfect.
My remarks with regards to the term 'exact', was not an attempt at zeroing in on a mistake. I merely wanted it clear that I was disputing the claim that the apparent size of the sun and the moon are exactly the same. They are very close, which is a fun fact, but they are not close enough to be considered anything more than a fun fact. I have in the past seen people claim that the supposed exactness is evidence for God, and I thought it important to point out that it is not nearly as exact as some people think.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
06 Feb 15
1 edit

Originally posted by catstorm
How does something as big as the sun orbit the earth, unless it is really much smaller and closer. The flat earthers have the sun 30 miles across.
I'm a curved surface earther.

Some people are like that guy in The Martian Chronicles... if they don't see it, then for them it doesn't exist.

Edit: I think I referenced the wrong sci-fi story... I checked out a summary of it and couldn't find any reference to the character I had in mind. It was about a guy who was raised by aliens (Martians?) to think like they do... they were like perfect witnesses, because they could only testify to what they saw and heard. If you ask them 'what did you see' they would tell you... but if you asked what was on the other side, as far as they were concerned there was no other side... because they had not witnessed the other side.

So the gist of that story is, earth boy is raised by aliens (no human contact), goes to earth and doesn't quite fit in, and then is treated as some kind of messiah or guru (or something like that). Does this story line sound at all familiar to anyone?

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
06 Feb 15
1 edit

Originally posted by twhitehead
My remarks with regards to the term 'exact', was not an attempt at zeroing in on a mistake. I merely wanted it clear that I was disputing the claim that the apparent size of the sun and the moon are exactly the same. They are very close, which is a fun fact, but they are not close enough to be considered anything more than a fun fact. I have in the past s ...[text shortened]... od, and I thought it important to point out that it is not nearly as exact as some people think.
Uh huh... and I assumed you were smart enough to also know this.

When total eclipses do happen to completely cover up the sun it gives us the opportunity to check some things out we otherwise couldn't... such as being able to prove gravitational lensing, or observe more detail in the corona.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
06 Feb 15

How many Sheldon Coopers does it take to screw in a light bulb?

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140609010635/bigbangtheory/images/d/de/Sheldon-sheldon-cooper-31965530-500-645.jpg

K

Germany

Moves
06 Feb 15

One does not need to "lay in wait" for that.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
06 Feb 15

Originally posted by KazetNagorra
One does not need to "lay in wait" for that.
It's in the environment.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
06 Feb 15
1 edit

It only appears almost exactly perfect. 🙂

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
06 Feb 15

I just now thought of something that can prove the earth is spinning. The coriolis effect. I'll let the pointy headed perfectionists here explain that one... I'm not in the mood for getting jumped on again today.😛
Let Youtube educate us all.

Coriolis Effect

If that did not do it continue by watching the Lecture: Coriolis Effect

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
06 Feb 15
1 edit

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140609010635/bigbangtheory/images/d/de/Sheldon-sheldon-cooper-31965530-500-645.jpg

The answer is one, but only if Sheldon Cooper can talk someone else into doing it. Otherwise the answer would have to be... wait for it... wait...okay, here it comes...

... infinity

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
07 Feb 15

I'm a curved surface earther.

Some people are like that guy in The Martian Chronicles... if they don't see it, then for them it doesn't exist.

[b]Edit:
I think I referenced the wrong sci-fi story... I checked out a summary of it and couldn't find any reference to the character I had in mind. It was about a guy who was raised by aliens (Martian ...[text shortened]... messiah or guru (or something like that). Does this story line sound at all familiar to anyone?[/b]
I found it! It just now occurred to me I could find the name of that story by using the internet... oh man, I really am "Old School"! 😛😕😳

Stranger in a Strange Land
by Robert A Heinlein (1961)