Spirituality 11 Mar '18 14:46
  1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Mar '18 03:24
    Originally posted by @fmf
    It's all here on Thread 176226
    Yes, it’s on page 3. Around page 4, you got scared and resorted to pool whizzing.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Mar '18 03:41
    Originally posted by @romans1009
    You referenced my citation, tiger. In essence, you quoted my quote and questioned whether Christians were supposed to follow it.
    I didn't quote Ecclesiastes. You're lying. I have never claimed to have been a "learned" Christian. That is a lie. To assert that I did not know Ecclesiastes was in the OT is a lie. If it's just 'banter' inspired by "God's Holy Spirit, and therefore not fully your responsibility, then say so. In the meantime, you've been caught in a little spray of petty, pointless forum fibs.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Mar '18 03:45
    I didn't quote Ecclesiastes. You're lying. I have never claimed to have been a "learned" Christian. That is a lie. To assert that I did not know Ecclesiastes was in the OT is a lie. If it's just 'banter' inspired by "God's Holy Spirit, and therefore not fully your responsibility, then say so. In the meantime, you've been caught in a little spray of petty, pointless forum fibs.
    Seems like you’re engaging in projection, kiddo. I think your claim of being a former learned Christian was exposed.

I won’t dwell on it, but try to be more careful in the future.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Mar '18 03:56
    Seems like you’re engaging in projection, kiddo. I think your claim of being a former learned Christian was exposed.

I won’t dwell on it, but try to be more careful in the future.
    When I was a Christian, adherence to the Christian religion that I subscribed to involved a requirement to obey God's and Jesus' commandments. To me, my Christian beliefs and living my Christian life was about much more than just "salvation". On the thread with the exchange between us that you are now lying about, I was basing my comments on the view that a Christian life involves obeying God's commandments. I did not claim that this was a "learned" Christian perspective: a lie. I did not quote Ecclesiastes: a lie. And I did not 'not realize' that Ecclesiastes was in the OT; a third lie, all in half a sentence. You are a liar.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Mar '18 04:06
    When I was a Christian, adherence to the Christian religion that I subscribed to involved a requirement to obey God's and Jesus' commandments. To me, my Christian beliefs and living my Christian life was about much more than just "salvation". On the thread with the exchange between us that you are now lying about, I was basing my comments on the view that a Chr ...[text shortened]... t realize' that Ecclesiastes was in the OT; a third lie, all in half a sentence. You are a liar.
    Whoa, slow down, tiger.

It was only natural for me to draw that conclusion when you referenced my quotation of Ecclesiastes 12:13 and asked if a Christian was not supposed to follow that.

Christianity is not about following rules and regulations. That was Old Testament.

Yes, Christianity is about more than salvation. It’s about a relationship with and walk with Christ. But one obtains that by accepting Christ, which leads to the indwelling of God’s Holy Spirit. One follows Christ’s commands and develops an aversion to sin not through human effort but through the power of God’s Holy Spirit, the influence of Whom must be strengthened with Bible reading and prayer.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Mar '18 04:10
    You’re claiming Job didn’t obtain salvation in the way salvation-by-faith Christians contend it is obtained today, correct?

FMF, who purported to be a learned Christian at one time, didn’t know Ecclesiastes was in the Old Testament and now you apparently don’t know Jesus Christ’s arrival on earth was after Job lived by a few thousand years.

Sad!
    FMF, who purported to be a learned Christian at one time, didn’t know Ecclesiastes was in the Old Testament...

You are an oafish liar.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Mar '18 04:26
    [b]FMF, who purported to be a learned Christian at one time, didn’t know Ecclesiastes was in the Old Testament...

You are an oafish liar.[/b]
    You tied Christianity to Ecclesiastes 12:13. It was only natural for me to draw that conclusion. I thought you understood Christianity. For you (and several others on here it seems,) Christianity is no different from the Old Testament - follow rules and regulations.

What was Jesus Christ’s sacrifice on the cross for? What did His Resurrection demonstrate? What is the purpose of the indwelling of God’s Holy Spirit in a believer? How is God’s New Covenant with man different from the Old Testament?

Can you and others who think as you did about Christianity answer any of these questions?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Mar '18 04:34
    You tied Christianity to Ecclesiastes 12:13. It was only natural for me to draw that conclusion. I thought you understood Christianity. For you (and several others on here it seems,) Christianity is no different from the Old Testament - follow rules and regulations.
    Virtually all religions ~ including Christianity ~ seem to promise a life after death - in some form or other - in return for adherence.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Mar '18 04:37
    [1] What was Jesus Christ’s sacrifice on the cross for? [2] What did His Resurrection demonstrate? [3] What is the purpose of the indwelling of God’s Holy Spirit in a believer? [4] How is God’s New Covenant with man different from the Old Testament?
    [1] Sedition or blasphemy, or perhaps both.
    [2] I have no reason to believe there was a "Resurrection" except in Christian folklore.
    [3] I think this is a superstitious notion that you should ask a Christian about
    [4] The New Testament was written by people creating a breakaway religion from Judaism
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Mar '18 04:37
    Virtually all religions ~ including Christianity ~ seem to promise a life after death - in some form or other - in return for adherence.
    You’re reverting to your first point (or close to first point.) Not interested in retreading the same ground.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Mar '18 04:38
    You’re reverting to your first point (or close to first point.) Not interested in retreading the same ground.
    Good. Don't retread it then. It was not controversial.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Mar '18 04:421 edit
    Good. Don't retread it then. It was not controversial.
    What does controversy have to do with anything?

That statement of yours is an error, but an error believed by more than a few Christians and non-Christians alike.

Christianity is not about following rules. It’s about a relationship with and walk with Jesus Christ. The Old Testament and Judaism was about following rules.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Mar '18 04:45
    What does controversy have to do with anything?
    I see your contention ~ that obeying your god figure's and Jesus' commandments is not part of adherence to the Christian religion ~ as controversial. Maybe you are part of the 40,001st denomination that I hadn't yet come across.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Mar '18 04:47
    Christianity is not about following rules. It’s about a relationship with and walk with Jesus Christ. The Old Testament and Judaism was about following rules.
    Try this theology out on Christians who believe in Jesus and for whom living a Christian life is about following his commandments.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Mar '18 05:00
    Try this theology out on Christians who believe in Jesus and for whom living a Christian life is about following his commandments.
    The “following His commandments” comes through relying on the power of God’s Holy Spirit. Think of it this way - Suppose a guy is sloppy as a bachelor. Leaves his dirty clothes everywhere, leaves dirty dishes in the sink, never vacuums, doesn’t take out the garbage, etc. Then he falls in love with a woman and marries her and they live together. Now he puts his dirty clothes in the hamper, washes the dishes, vacuums once a week and takes out the garbage. Is he “following rules” when he does all of that? Do you think his new wife even had to tell him to do those things? Or does he do those things out of love and respect for her?

The way you say “following rules” makes me think of someone doing something they don’t want to do out of obligation. That’s not what Christianity is all about. The “following rules” comes as a consequence of a relationship between a believer and Jesus Christ - not some “you have to clean up your room or no dessert” mindset.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree