Moves
    22 Apr '05 06:40
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    Actually: You are. If God has acted according to His will, then you haven't
    made God do anything.

Furthermore, being omniscient, He would have been angry in advance of
    your sin (because He would have seen it coming). In fact, this notion of
    God's getting angry necessitates that God is angry all the time (because
    humankind is sinning all the time). ...[text shortened]... e world yet to be
    committed (as well as being committed and having been committed).

Nemesio
    You're splitting hairs. You clearly know what I mean because you have restated it. "If God has acted according to His will, then you haven't made God do anything." You pick apart one sentence - demand I mean what you clearly know that is not what I mean - and for no good reason.

God is angry about sin. There's no denying that God hates sin. And God also wills to love people who do not deserve love. You can not 'make' God do anything - so you can not make God love you. But that does not mean God is static. He acts according to His will. So when I say you don't want to make God angry - and it's too late - I mean God knew and knows you are going to sin - because it is in your nature to sin - and God act's the way God has said he would - He will not let any sin go unpunished.

I know this is a difficult concept - but I also know you understand what I am saying. You're smarter than that. So quite splitting hairs and deal with the fact that God understands you (and me) and that is a scary thing in itself. No joke.

2. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    22 Apr '05 06:551 edit
  3. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    22 Apr '05 07:14
    Originally posted by Coletti
    You're splitting hairs. You clearly know what I mean because you have restated it. "If God has acted according to His will, then you haven't made God do anything." You pick apart one sentence - demand I mean what you clearly know that is not what I mean - and for no good reason.

God is angry about sin. There's no denying that God hates sin. And ...[text shortened]... h the fact that God understands you (and me) and that is a scary thing in itself. No joke.

If god hates sin so much why did he create it?
  4. Standard memberMaustrauser
    Lord Chook
    Stringybark
    Moves
    22 Apr '05 11:47
    What it says about God is you don't want to make Him angry.

Oops! Too late, you were born.

Let me get this straight. God is angry because I was born? Well why did the Great Omnipotent One ensure that I was a stillbirth? Then he wouldn't have to be angry. What a bizarre concept.

Perhaps you wish to recant your statement Coletti? Normally you are so sensible.
  5. London
    Moves
    22 Apr '05 12:02
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    If god hates sin so much why did he create it?
    God didn't create sin - Man did (in more ways than one).
  6. Standard memberMaustrauser
    Lord Chook
    Stringybark
    Moves
    22 Apr '05 12:20
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    I thought the Great Omnipotent All Powerful LORD created everything? Even Satan. Or am I completely wrong?
  7. Joined
    28 Mar '05
    Moves
    22 Apr '05 12:47
    Originally posted by Maustrauser

Additional Information

The word 'Sword' appears 424 times in the King James Bible within 384 verses.
    The word 'Love' appears 310 times in the King James Bible within 280 verses.

What does this tell us about the nature of God?

I'm willing to try to answer your questions to do so I'd like to ask some of my own first.

1) The Bible is translated into many languages, the words "Sword" and "love" are your statistics from the English translation, or from the Latin version? Words and phrases always get lost in translations. I'm not sure if the ratio sword/love changes.

2) Who found out the Sword?

3) Who found out love?

Grtz,

Siebren
    (Not a Christian, well not truly)
  8. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    22 Apr '05 12:48
    Originally posted by Peachy
    Shouldn't the question be What does this tell us about the nature of Man?

Being picky, searching for contradictions, questioning the smallest before the biggest, arguing white is black, trying to find ways to kill the existence of God, rejecting the word of God, causing doubts, causing trouble, selective to what they want to hear and what not, desperate n ...[text shortened]... in the first place, then "sword" & "death" are what man asks for and rightfully deserves.
    *looks around* sees scattered scrolls, some added to a codex in Leningrad (oops re-re-named St.Peterburg) see more scrolls on editor's floor ,
    *looks again* wow a sequel Son of Codex ,, same thing some in some out, which is which
    *looks deeper* who the heck is An and what's El to him?
    *looks to heaven* sees serpent swallowing itself, tail first
    *looks at fundies* hey, guys! It's not head first. dats disgusting
    *looks at wall* sees a wall
  9. Not Kansas
    Moves
    22 Apr '05 13:32

Additional Information

"What does this tell us about the nature of God?"

Nothing. It reveals the mind-set of the people who originated and later codified this collection of stories. Think Charlton Heston and the NRA, but with swords.
  10. Joined
    25 Feb '05
    Moves
    22 Apr '05 13:39
    Look for the number 7 and you'll find it everywhere.

Looking for meaning in a book that's been translated over hundres of years and your searching in the dark my friends.

Find your own path, not one written in a book.
  11. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    22 Apr '05 14:09
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    it wasnt man that planted that tree in the garden, or put the serpent there either.
  12. Joined
    25 Feb '05
    Moves
    22 Apr '05 14:12
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    it wasnt man that planted that tree in the garden, or put the serpent there either.
    Nice.
  13. Standard memberorfeo
    Paralysed analyst
    On a ship of fools
    Moves
    22 Apr '05 14:291 edit

Additional Information

Who is giving the love, and who is holding the sword?

In all seriousness, it's a very big assumption to suggest that these verses all have ANY relevance to the nature of God.

EDIT: Okay, I see I'm not the first person to bring up a version of this point.
  14. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    22 Apr '05 16:41
    I thought the Great Omnipotent All Powerful LORD created everything? Even Satan. Or am I completely wrong?
    You are correct. God did create Satan and there would be no sin or evil if it were a violation of God omniscience.

And you could say God created sin - but that is only true in a sense - because the terms are rather vague - and sin is not an a thing that is created, nor is love, joy, etc.

All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made.
    (Joh 1:3 ESV)

God is the ultimate first cause of all things. And nothing happens without him knowing it was going to happen. The implications of this is that sin, evil, etc. are not outside His ultimate authority.
  15. Standard memberRingtailhunter
    Track drifter ®
    Hoopnholler, MN
    Moves
    22 Apr '05 16:49
    You are correct. God did create Satan and there would be no sin or evil if it were a violation of God omniscience.

And you could say God created sin - but that is only true in a sense - because the terms are rather vague - and sin is not an a thing that is created, nor is love, joy, etc.

[b]All things were made through him, and without him was not ...[text shortened]... pen. The implications of this is that sin, evil, etc. are not outside His ultimate authority.
    Where does it say in the Bible that god "Created" satan?

I can't find it.

Thanks,

RTh

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree